Who is ALANUS AB INSULIS

    Message 1 of 49 , Jun 3, 2008

      Hi Friends,

      I was thinking a bit how lovely Rudolf Steiner spoke of Alanus Ab Insulis...this last name has to do with Lillies. I mean he speaks so beautifully of this man. And I was thinking of how this man and another follow one another in their tasks and I found myself considering who Melchizedek is in relations to Alanus Ab Insulis. And then checking this out I found myself with the Rabbis looking at a connection between Shem, son of Noah and Melchizedek. I was surprised by this.

      And this got me to wondering about Manes. I mean the way Rudolf Steiner was speaking of this beautiful teacher I found myself wandering. Yeah, wandering. So, I thought to share the passage by the Rabbis:

      Melchizedek: Encyclopedia II - Melchizedek - In Rabbinic interpretation

      Melchizedek - In Rabbinic interpretation

      In the Midrash, the Rabbis identified Melchizedek with Shem son of Noah. (E.g., B. Talmud Nedarim 32b; Genesis Rabbah 46:7; Genesis Rabbah 56:10; Leviticus Rabbah 25:6; Numbers Rabbah 4:8.) Rabbi Isaac the Babylonian said that Melchizedek was born circumcised. (Genesis Rabbah 43:6.) Melchizedek called Jerusalem “Salem.” (Genesis Rabbah 56:10.) The Rabbis said that Melchizedek instructed Abraham in the Torah. (Genesis Rabbah 43:6.) Rabbi Eleazar said that Melchizedek’s school was one of three places where the Holy Spirit manifested itself. (B. Talmud Makkot 23b.) The Rabbis taught that Melchizedek acted as a priest and handed down Adam’s robes to Abraham. (Numbers Rabbah 4:8.) Rabbi Zechariah said on Rabbi Ishmael’s authority that God intended to bring forth the priesthood through Melchizedek’s descendents, but because Melchizedek blessed Abraham before he blessed God (in Gen. 14:19-20), God brought the priesthood forth from Abraham’s descendents. (B. Talmud Nedarim 32b; see also Leviticus Rabbah 25:6 (crediting Rabbi Ishamel).)

      Rabbi Judah said in Rabbi Nehorai's name that Melchizedek’s blessing yielded prosperity for Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. (Genesis Rabbah 43:8.) Ephraim Miksha'ah the disciple of Rabbi Meir said in the latter's name that Tamar descended from Melchizedek. (Genesis Rabbah 85:10.)

      Rabbi Hana bar Bizna citing Rabbi Simeon Hasida identified Melchizedek as one of the four craftsmen of whom Zechariah wrote in Zechariah 2:3. (B. Talmud Sukkah 52b; see also Song of Songs Rabbah 2:33 (crediting Rabbi Berekiah in the name of Rabbi Isaac).) The Talmud teaches that David wrote the Book of Psalms, including in it the work of the elders, including Melchizedek (in Psalm 110). (B. Talmud Baba Batra 14b-15a.)

      The Zohar finds in “Melchizedek king of Salem” a reference to “the King Who rules with complete sovereignty,” or according to another explanation, that “Melchizedek” alludes to the lower world and “king of Salem” to the upper world. (Zohar, Bereshit, 1:86b-87a:)

      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 10, 2008

        Ooops it should say " without her nothing moves, as we are dealing with the fallen Sophia'.