Re: Anthrobilly

  • val2160
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2008
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, JoAnn Schwartz
      <sr_joanna@...> wrote:

      > Tarjei:
      > >> I could read at four, but there are many people much
      > >> smarter and successful and skilled than me who picked
      > >> up such things much later, so it makes no difference
      > >> as far as I'm concerned.
      >
      > Val:
      > > Perhaps they are much smarter and more successful and
      > > skilled than you are because they picked up such things
      > > much later. On the other hand a child who is reading at
      > > four, such as yourself, will be more successful in a
      > > school setting, as reading is the basis of much of
      > > the instruction.
      >
      > Hi Val,
      >
      > Just wanted to stick in my two cents here (U.S. coins
      > rather than the Canadian ones I usually offer ;-> )

      Hi JoAnn,

      I'm always glad when you interject your common cents! Nyuk, Nyuk!

      > One of the many blessings of a waldorf education is that,
      > at least in the early grades, reading is NOT the basis of
      > much of the instruction. A lot of teaching is oral/aural
      > or experiential -- walking, jumping, clapping the times
      > tables, for instance. This type of activity is enjoyed by
      > all the children, even those who can read.

      I certainly agree. I was thinking of a traditional school setting.

      > My eldest read easily, sight reading at age 3 and reading
      > chapter books by first grade. She has certainly been very
      > successful in school -- and will happily tell you that
      > attending a waldorf school for K-8 was a blessing on many
      > levels, including academic.
      >
      > On the other hand, my youngest just wasn't *interested* in
      > reading until about the end of third grade -- so she
      > wouldn't and didn't. By fifth grade, however, standardized
      > reading tests showed her reading at an 8th grade level. At
      > the end of 8th grade, she took the Secondary School
      > Admission Test (equivalent to the SAT but for high school
      > admissions, not college) and did very well -- particularly
      > on the verbal and reading scores. She is finishing up a
      > very successful first year at the local public high school.
      > For her, the biggest blessing of her waldorf education may
      > have been NOT being labeled as somehow deficient because
      > she was not interested in reading for herself.

      > So whether or not early reading enhances school performance
      > would seem to depend on how much the school insists that
      > the best -- or only -- way to learn is via reading. There
      > is also some evidence that forcing young children to read
      > before they are ready leads to a *lack* of academic success
      > in later life.

      Well, my first two child'en didn't read until middle school and we're
      still awaitin' on the third one. I just praise the good Lord
      almighty, every day, JoAnn that I didn't have anymore.