Southern Cross Review - May-Jne

    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2008

      Dear Friends,

      Your may-June issue of Southern Cross Review has just been delivered to your cyber mailbox at http://SouthernCrossReview.org

      In this issue we offer an exclusive interview with Yanqui Mike, Chairperson of Democrats Abroad in the swing state Argentina –  huh? Well…you never know. Anyway, check it out in the "Editor's Page".

      Sometimes the "Letters" section is somewhat skimpy, but not this time – lots of interesting stuff.

      In "Features" there are two contributions from Mark Twain. One gives a hilarious insight into the complexities of the German language. His War Prayer isn't hilarious at all though, and it is as applicable today as it was when Twain was inspired by the Philippine War. We're trying to be more bilingual nowadays, so the Prayer also appears in Spanish translation. Howard Zinn really takes on governments in his speech about war and terrorism: "governments lie." Mike Ingles reminisces about life from when he was old enough to buy beer (1968) until today, and Gaither Stewart searches for Europe 's soul.

      In "Current Events" Tom Engelhardt worries about the descent into madness in Iraq and shows evidence that the Bush government is preparing for wars beyond that one. The title of his article, "Endless War", is chillingly appropriate.

      And, if you haven't read it yet, Barack Obama's recent speech on Race in America (inspired by the Rev. Wright brouhaha), please do so now. Steve Talbott follows with his usual acumen, this time about economics.

      "Fiction" goes bilingual this month, with Luisa Valenzuela's "Tango" and my "Daddies" ("Papás"). Danny Smitherman's story takes place in an exotic locale indeed: Iran . A new writer for SCR, Sand Rector, also contributes a story about getting along in spite of yourself. Orwell's serialized " 1984" continues.

      A second article by John Davy (following up last month's) giving us a clear description of the evolution of world and man from an Anthroposophical point of view, appears in "Science and Philosophy".

      Keith Francis's second lecture on Alchemy and Anthroposophy, this time concerning Greek philosophy, is the first link in the "Anthroposophy" section. An excerpt from a Steiner lecture in a series about the Book of Revelation follows, as well as his "Guidelines".

      Poetry: ah yes, poetry. We found a Spanish translation of T. S. Eliot's "The Waste Land" on the web, so it accompanies the original English version – which is complete with notes. The Indian poet Aajai Theepon sends us some of her politically tinged work with a strong ecological background.

      A book review that appeared here several years ago, "The Gnostic Jung", has generated a lot of interest. So it's republished in this issue with some minor changes.

      Enjoy!