Re: The Awful German Language

  • lightsearcher1
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2008
      On topic: I once owned a copy of Twain's "Connecticut Yankee in King
      Arthur's Court" and will never forget when my eyes fell upon this
      passage.

      :::::::::::::

      I was gradually coming to have a mysterious and shuddery reverence
      for this girl; nowadays whenever she pulled out from the station and
      got her train fairly started on one of those horizonless
      transcontinental sentences of hers, it was borne in upon me that I
      was standing in the awful presence of the Mother of the German
      Language.

      I was so impressed with this, that sometimes when she began to empty
      one of these sentences on me I unconsciously took the very attitude
      of reverence, and stood uncovered; and if words had been water, I had
      been drowned, sure.

      She had exactly the German way; whatever was in her mind to be
      delivered, whether a mere remark, or a sermon, or a cyclopedia, or
      the history of a war, she would get it into a single sentence or die.

      Whenever the literary German dives into a sentence, that is the last
      you are going to see of him till he emerges on the other side of his
      Atlantic with his verb in his mouth.

      - from 'The Holy Fountain,' (Chapter 22 of) "A Connecticut Yankee in
      King Arthur's Court

      http://library.untraveledroad.com/Ch/Twain/Yankee/Fountain.htm

      :::::::::::::
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2008
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "mary march"
        <muskiet@...> wrote:

        > Hallo dear Frank, Tarjei, Dotti et al
        > What joy to found the status quo on the roll
        > and then - a musical for holers! Ha!
        >
        > I hear the Title: GONE WITH THE WIND - a musical
        >
        > Good to be back,
        > love
        > engemi

        Hey, engemi, where ya been baby? And what's with the "Mary March" bit.
        I know, curiosity killed the cat, but...maybe Mary wants to play the
        lead or direct all the wind instruments.
        Anyhoo, nice seeing you again.
        Love,