Re: The Reverend

    Message 1 of 30 , May 1, 2008
      Dottie, you shared:
      http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-oe-brooks1-2008may01,1,7050453.column

      This is the interesting part:

      "With a campaign message emphasizing unity and hope, the last thing
      Obama needs is his former pastor running around espousing views most
      other Americans find offensive and deluded, such as the conviction
      that the U.S. government started the HIV/AIDS epidemic, or the
      suggestion that U.S. foreign policy is little different from terrorism."

      What's interesting is that they keep throwing two particular
      statements, or claims, into one and the same basket. This is being
      done repeatedly in all the media, as if they're trying to ridicule the
      last statement by gluing it together with the first. Of course there
      may be conspiracists among us who think of HIV/AIDS as a CIA plot
      against Afro-Americans -- the Farakhanian anthro-babblers who blame
      all such things on Jews -- but for the purpose of informed reasoning
      and common sense, the first statement is false while the second is
      absolutely true: US foreign policy is indeed state terrorism par
      excellance. It is not experienced as such by the Europeans, nor by
      China or India or Japan or even Russia, because these are the allies
      seated around the table of the rich and the powerful. But for other
      parts of the world, Latin America and the Middle East in particular,
      the US has always played the role of a bully and a terrorist. John
      Perkin's book "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man" will testify to
      that, plus analyses by Robert Fisk and Noam Chomsky and many many others."

      So this is a good way to ridicule any such critique of American
      politics and history, by lumping it together with the idea that
      HIV/AIDS was intentionally let loose by the US govt on its own people,
      (as if the privileged rich should somehow be immune from catching the
      virus).

      Well, I'm not going to add any more political comments what the
      election campaign is concerned. I like Barack, and Michele too btw, I
      don't like Hillary. I used to kind of like Bill, but I don't like her.
      Their politics are so similar that all it boils down to is who do you
      like or not like, end of story.

      Cheers,

      Tarjei
    • robin wolfe
      Message 2 of 30 , May 1, 2008
        Dear Tarjei,

        I am really glad Wright is around to squawk as much as he can and I hope people actually hear him.

        I was working on the floor below where they isolated the Aids virus in 1984 at the National Cancer Institute. I walked through the labs on the sixth floor where they had the hoods for the culture medium they where growing the virus in.

        I am not black, however I have certainly experienced racial prejudice myself. The issue for the study you are referring to was feeding on ignorance. Education is a great divider. Sure it is more difficult for someone who does not have alot of money to get educuation, but properly motivated one can learn and do anything. I certainly didn't have familial support to go to college, but I did anyhow.

        I don't like Hillary either. I do like Obama, but I am afraid he won't win against Hillary. If she gets in I fear for this country in a big way.

        Blessings,

        Robin

        Message 3 of 30 , May 2, 2008
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, robin wolfe
          <rwsherbs@...> wrote:

          > Dear Tarjei,
          >
          > I am really glad Wright is around to squawk as much as he can and I
          hope people actually hear him.

          I agree, especially in the face of all the insiduous propaganda that
          sneaks into every conceivable kind of sentimental humanitarianism.
          There's this talk show we get with ex-Marine Montel Williams, and he's
          got all these very nice women on his show, who are writing sweet
          letters to the troops to support them. And this type of stuff is very
          comforting and meaningful to those soldiers who are in mortal danger
          all the time, we all know that. And they keep saying it's not a
          political statement, only support, being supportive.

          This is such a lie, because the political statement is being made very
          explicitly. The letters are thank you letters. It's thank you for
          keeping us safe, thank you for making sure we have our freedom at
          home, and even thank you for making sure we are a united country!

          Isn't that political? It's about oil, so the thank you could have been
          say, thank you for trying, unsuccessfully so far, to keep the prices
          down at the pump, at an astronomical cost to us taxpayers, an
          unbelievable waste of lives, and untold suffering. But it has nothing
          whatsoever to do with national security or terrorism or keeping
          freedom or keeping the country united! They were saying the same thing
          about Vietnam! Has anybody in America lost their freedom or become
          less safe because the Vietnam war was lost? Is the US a less united
          country because of that?

          And this is the type of propaganda that's most common, when they say
          it's not about politics but about supporting the troops, when it's so
          humanitarian and loving and all that. But the best way to support the
          troops is to take them out of their uniforms immediately and leave the
          control of the Middle East to the people who live there. If they stop
          messing with the Arabs, the most fanatical among them will stop
          messing with the West.

          Message 4 of 30 , May 3, 2008
            I wrote:

            > This is such a lie, because the political statement is being made very
            > explicitly. The letters are thank you letters. It's thank you for
            > keeping us safe, thank you for making sure we have our freedom at
            > home, and even thank you for making sure we are a united country!
            >
            > Isn't that political? It's about oil, so the thank you could have been
            > say, thank you for trying, unsuccessfully so far, to keep the prices
            > down at the pump, at an astronomical cost to us taxpayers, an
            > unbelievable waste of lives, and untold suffering. But it has nothing
            > whatsoever to do with national security or terrorism or keeping
            > freedom or keeping the country united! They were saying the same thing
            > about Vietnam! Has anybody in America lost their freedom or become
            > less safe because the Vietnam war was lost? Is the US a less united
            > country because of that?

            http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/america.html

            America you don're really want to go to war.
            America it's them bad Russians.
            Them Russians them Russians and them Chinamen. And them Russians.
            The Russia wants to eat us alive. The Russia's power mad. She wants to take
            our cars from out our garages.
            Her wants to grab Chicago. Her needs a Red Reader's Digest. her wants our
            auto plants in Siberia. Him big bureaucracy running our fillingstations.

            (From "Anerica" by Allen Ginsberg)