Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Tao Te Ching

  • Mike Helsher
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2008
      Thanks for your reflections Albert,

      The Tao certainly floats over many peoples heads, but what I like about it, now that I can relate to it , is that it is hard for the intellect to take the wind out of it's sails. It points to a non-duality form a certain perspective that to me looks a lot like the Christ impulse from an anthro perspective. The man on the cross embodies both the suffering and transcendence of human experience.

      I like that you mention that we need to pay attention to the trends of our times. Two that  have caught my attention lately are the movie "the Secret" and as I've mentioned alot lately Eckart Tolle's book "A  New Earth". The Secret has a very basic introduction to the idea of universal laws, and that it's good to pay attention to your thoughts and feelings. And it is materialistic enough to catch the attention of those who are perhaps ready to step into a different understanding, but are not ready to jump completely yet. Jesus met people where they were at. As flawed as it might be (for sale) the movie touched millions of people and opened some doors in a more positive direction. Many people see the movie and think their going to create heaven on earth, but by law, they run smack into the tree that is their own lesser Guardian of the threshold, and thus get a glimpse of what their thinking really looks like. I know this because I've learned it the hard way myself, as has my sister and many a friend of mine. But many a bizarre synchronicity  has come about as well, and predominate thoughts, like seeds, need nurturing, an good environment, and time to germinate.

      "A New Earth" really hits the nail that is the ego on the head, with simple yet powerful eloquence. The language may seem simple to avid RS fans but the truth that it points to is the same, IMO. If RS were alive today, I have no doubt that in light of our current state of affairs, he would have very similar words to say to a much broader, and maybe less sophisticated media dominated culture.

      >It is hard to create the authentic personal example, but by the latter alone can >we accomplish anything.

      That's a profound sutra!

      Best

      Mike

      Albert Sándor <montek@...> wrote:
      The tao ... is good, but few people can relate to such a radical teaching. It is the same as "vairagya" of the advaita school. Without a sound cosmogony related to the little aspects of everyday life, this concept is hard to grasp for most people, also because we usually measure our life through the strenghts of our bonds, attachments. Normal life works through attachments, and it is determinded by instincts and subconscious desires, conditionings of what most of the time we are not aware. To realize them, and refuse to act only on their behalf, but, as Dottie said, lawfully, with a greater scope, that is what we learn mostly by loss, by being tricked, and left empty ...
      In a materialist world dominated by a sensorial, quantity oriented science (what cannot be measured does not exist) it is hard to make people understand how that view is unilateral, misleading, and potentially damaging to us.

      Science shows many wonders, but it's stubborn attachment to the five senses, and to the concept of "matter", and life and man being the result of endless accidents in the clash of natural forces (and by natural they mean physical) is silly, and in fact cannot withstand a serious, unbiased analysis. We understand the mineral reign, and we think everything is just more and more complex minerals, and their play - even if we do not know the playing rules yet.

      So what can we do to share what we have learnt, what we hope to accomplish ? By doing what Steiner did. We must keep our eye on every new theory, scientific achievement, but not just that, but on art, and religion also, and to show that there is a way in all these are true and can be united into a wonderful union, what surpasses our most daring hopes. We must avoid the charges of dualism, sectarianism, gnosticism, and every other -ism, and we must produce results in art, science, and religion by personal example. The center of antroposophy is the human being, us, ourselves. It is easy to follow guidelines, it is easy to follow other thinkers, it is easy to go with the flow. It is hard to create the authentic personal example, but by the latter alone can we accomplish anything.