Love love love (was: Anthroposophical Guidelines - 107)

    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 10, 2008
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Albert Sándor <montek@...> wrote:

      > I knew Anael as the angel of romantic love. This means that the association of it with Venus is not wishful thinking on my part. But Lucifer is also there.

      In the context of romantic love, Lucifer is like Puck in Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream, in the image of Amor, the prankish little kiddie-angel with love-potion arrows.

      So the Greeks had three different words for love, meaning three different things: Eros (romantic/sexual love), Philio (fraternal love, buddy-love), and Agape (divine, unconditional love as described in Love and its Meaning in the World ):

      Is the Godhead omniscient? As man's highest goal is likeness to God, our striving must be in the direction of omniscience. Is omniscience, then, the supreme treasure? If it is, a vast chasm must forever yawn between man and God. At every moment man would have to be aware of this chasm if God possessed the supreme treasure of omniscience for himself and withheld it from man. The all-encompassing attribute of the Godhead is not omnipotence, neither is is omniscience, but it is love — the attribute in respect of which no enhancement is possible. God is uttermost love, unalloyed love, is born as it were out of love, is the very substance and essence of love. God is pure love, not supreme wisdom, not supreme might. God has retained love for himself but has shared wisdom and might with Lucifer and Ahriman.

      Let us imagine that there is a man who knows nothing of the name of Christ Jesus, nothing of what is communicated in the Gospels, but that he understands the radical difference between the nature of wisdom and might and that of love. Such a man, even though he knows nothing of the Mystery of Golgotha, is a Christian in the truest sense. A man who knows that love is there for the paying of debts and brings no profit for the future, is a true Christian. To understand the nature of love — that is to be a Christian! Theosophy alone, Spiritual Science alone, with its teachings of Karma and reincarnation, can make us into great egoists unless the impulse of love, the Christ Impulse, is added; only so can we acquire the power to overcome the egoism that may be generated by Spiritual Science. The balance is established by an understanding of the Christ Impulse. Spiritual Science is given to the world today because it is a necessity for humanity; but in it lies the great danger that — if it is cultivated without the Christ Impulse, without the Impulse of love — men will only increase their egoism, will actually breed egoism that lasts even beyond death. From this the conclusion must not be drawn that we should not cultivate Spiritual Science; rather we must learn to realise that understanding of the essential nature of love is an integral part of it.

      And this reminds me, folks: We've got to love them hole creatures. They're human beings too, and they don't know what they're doing. So let's bless bless bless them, shower them with Agape love and blessings, OK?

      Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;  That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

      -- Matthew 5:43-48

      And Venus, she's the girl on the half-shell as Joan Baez put it in her song to Bob Dylan

      Cheers,

      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 19, 2012

        111. In my "Philosophy of Freedom", one finds contemporary human "freedom" proven as a content of consciousness; in what is given here, one finds the development of this freedom cosmically substantiated.