RS re Providence

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2008
      To All:

      If we are inclined to despair at the way that
      the world is going now, or especially at the
      troubles and failures of the Anthro Movement
      and Society(ies), we might wish to take a
      moment at least to consider how Steiner had
      "faith" in Providence, in the wise and loving
      order that ultimately rules in the world,
      despite appearances. RS did believe, with
      Paul, that all things work together for good ..
      . .

      In one instance he puts it this way, speaking
      to Anthros about Anthroposophical efforts:

      ". . . . that spiritual forces hold sway in the
      world, that they help us, that we may entrust
      ourselves to them. And if sometimes it seems as
      if things are not going well, then we say to
      ourselves that if we are not successful it is
      because the powers behind our activity do not
      intend us to succeed, and not to succeed would
      then be the right thing."
      (*Wonders of the World*; Lecture 1; 18th
      August, 1911; Munich; GA 129)

      So, sometimes even Anthroposophical failures
      can be the "right thing" for the development of
      world-evolution . . . in much the same way, I
      suppose, as cancer can sometimes be the "right
      thing" for an individual's development. Some
      might express much the same thought by saying
      that sometimes Divine Justice (which is Love's
      Severity) requires that we, mankind, need to be
      "punished" for our "sins".

      But this "punishment", rightly understood, is
      education . . . the hard way.

      I'd still much rather that we learn our lessons
      the easy way.

      Just a thought,

      Robert Mason