Re: sibelius

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2008
      Sorry, Stephan, I'm not that much of a pundit when it comes to
      classical music, although those who are connoseurs and well versed in
      things Finnish (the Kaleva being their national epic and all) may be
      familiar with it. The finnish language is as different from the
      languages of Western Europe as Russian or Japanese for that matter,
      but music always speaks a universal language regardless of babel-barriers.

      Steiner held some lectures in Helsinki though, so he may have talked
      about that epic. If I read any of that stuff in the past, I've
      forgotten, sorry.

      Tarjei

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "SCos" <vtsophia@...>
      wrote:

      > tarjai.
      >
      > i went to the symphony orchestra last nite and they played a piece
      by jean sibelius-concerto for violin and orchestra in d minor, Op.
      #47. it was a solo violin piece with strings in background.

      > i saw that he was finnish and died in 1957, his bio said he composed
      2 pieces based upon the KALEVALA and also wrote several tone poems
      based upon finnish runic legends. (back to the ancient wisdom)

      > although not norwegian, i thought you might of heard of him, he was
      loved throughout scandinavia. have you heard of him? was he a
      scandinavian hero?/ like a wagner for germany??