Re: Cosmic and reversed cultus (Re: Tom 'splainin' Mr. Spook to Jennifer)

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
      To Ottmar, who wrote:

      >>. . . . However, the reversed cultus doesn't
      happen automatically, there are high demands on
      the people present, high demands for example on
      the mutual respect for each other, (as soon as
      there is quarrel, arrogance, disrespect etc.
      the spirit flees. We all know this in theory,
      many also know this in practise.) The reversed
      cultus is something for the future. In
      Steiner's time it was almost impossible, I
      guess he wasn't even understood. Today we
      understand better the importance of working in
      groups, we know more about rules for a
      successful group work and talk, more about
      human communication, psycology etc. The first
      step in the reversed cultus is the development
      of unprejudiced listening. . . .<<

      Robert writes:

      Yes, I suppose that the situation has changed
      since Steiner's time. Here in the USA "group
      work" has really caught on, especially since
      the '70s. (The "twelve steps" started back in
      the '30s, and the "encounter group" was a
      German import in the '60s, I think.)

      And yes, unprejudiced listening is a necessary
      and difficult skill to learn, but experience
      shows that too much passive listening just
      gives people free run to BS you, and usually to
      BS themselves in the process. Thus there
      arises the necessity of the "confrontation",
      and the corresponding necessary and difficult
      skill is to make these confrontations
      therapeutic and not merely argumentative in the
      negative sense. -- And sometimes real therapy
      (i.e. healing) does actually happen in such
      "group work". I suppose it's yet another
      example of finding the Golden Mean between the
      too much and the too little: listening, in
      this case.

      (*BS* (verb) auf deutsch: *Blödsinn reden*?)

      Robert Mason