Re: Seasons Greetings

  • winters_diana
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      > Diana:
      > > In other words, not much. That's what I meant. You view
      > > it as not really having anything much to do with you,
      > > and are content to go on feeling complacently superior to
      > > other religions despite the fact that there's really no
      > > basis for considering one superior to another. Pagan
      > > religions aren't truer, and aren't closer to nature -
      > > that belief itself is characteristic of most religions.
      > > Yeah, my maya varies :)

      JoAnn:

      > Huh, met some evangelical pagans, have we? Personally,
      > it's fine by me if your maya varies. I have no interest in
      > "converting" you or anyone else. You are your own
      > spiritual authority, after all. I got my *own* work to do.

      This was a response to the article you posted - not a personal
      comment that I thought you were trying to convert me. Neither
      anything I said nor the article had anything to do with anybody
      converting anybody. It was a response to the self-congratulatory tone
      of the article, which implied, as I pointed out, that paganism was
      a "realer," "truer" religion, closer to nature etc., older and thus
      more authentic, the very familiar theme among modern pagans that
      Judeo-Christianity is a sort of overlay of an earlier, more genuine
      religious understanding. (We would all be worshipping Saturn if only
      we understood the real meaning of the holiday; Easter is "really" a
      fertility rite, etc.)

      I pointed out that the problem with this self-perception on the part
      of many pagans, for instance the author of that piece, is that it is
      not true.
      Diana