Re: The Bear's Daughter

  • write3chairs
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, JoAnn Schwartz wrote:

      > > I like this, reminds me of the myth of Demeter and
      > > Persephone.
      >
      > Hi Jennifer,
      >
      > Huh, I hadn't thought of this, so it gave me something to
      > contemplate whilst digging out this morning. (Shoveling
      > snow can be very meditative, don't you think?)

      Hi, JoAnn! Gosh, I can't remember the last time I shoveled snow. We
      don't get much of the white stuff around here. But yes, that myth
      came immediately to mind; it is one of my favorites.

      > I think you might be on to something; only pulled forward
      > in time. That is, there are versions of the Persephone
      > myth wherein Persephone goes willingly into the Underworld,
      > for love of the Dark God, Hades... It is difficult, after
      > all, to be the daughter of a Goddess, and so Persephone
      > flees to a place far far away, where she can be Queen in
      > her own right.
      >
      > And now Persephone's daughter is dreaming her own dreams...

      My daughter wrote a poem a few years ago. I doubt it was inspired by
      the myth, but here it is:

      The Pomegranate

      On the Outside:
      Unbroken is your skin, though
      Blemished in some parts that I can see
      Unsatisfying and indigestible is your outer layer and
      Bereft of any meaning that could possibly be clear to me

      On the Inside:
      Numerous are the sour jewels of your memories
      Recalling dreams and other things that I have never seen
      Rotted are some, shattered are others, but there they lay together
      Clustered in intricacies that my mind cannot fathom much less explain

      On the Whole:
      Visible only on the outside, yet
      Underneath is what I wish to taste and smell
      Hear, touch and see. That is where you truly are, but
      Not the you that I shall ever know, for all that I know is the
      You that you present to me