Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: The Bear's Daughter

  • JoAnn Schwartz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
      > I like this, reminds me of the myth of Demeter and
      > Persephone.

      Hi Jennifer,

      Huh, I hadn't thought of this, so it gave me something to
      contemplate whilst digging out this morning. (Shoveling
      snow can be very meditative, don't you think?)

      I think you might be on to something; only pulled forward
      in time. That is, there are versions of the Persephone
      myth wherein Persephone goes willingly into the Underworld,
      for love of the Dark God, Hades... It is difficult, after
      all, to be the daughter of a Goddess, and so Persephone
      flees to a place far far away, where she can be Queen in
      her own right.

      And now Persephone's daughter is dreaming her own dreams...

      Musing on the cold and the dark...
      JoAnn

      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      When people tell you who they are — believe them. -- Maya Angelou
    • write3chairs
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2008
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, JoAnn Schwartz wrote:

        > > I like this, reminds me of the myth of Demeter and
        > > Persephone.
        >
        > Hi Jennifer,
        >
        > Huh, I hadn't thought of this, so it gave me something to
        > contemplate whilst digging out this morning. (Shoveling
        > snow can be very meditative, don't you think?)

        Hi, JoAnn! Gosh, I can't remember the last time I shoveled snow. We
        don't get much of the white stuff around here. But yes, that myth
        came immediately to mind; it is one of my favorites.

        > I think you might be on to something; only pulled forward
        > in time. That is, there are versions of the Persephone
        > myth wherein Persephone goes willingly into the Underworld,
        > for love of the Dark God, Hades... It is difficult, after
        > all, to be the daughter of a Goddess, and so Persephone
        > flees to a place far far away, where she can be Queen in
        > her own right.
        >
        > And now Persephone's daughter is dreaming her own dreams...

        My daughter wrote a poem a few years ago. I doubt it was inspired by
        the myth, but here it is:

        The Pomegranate

        On the Outside:
        Unbroken is your skin, though
        Blemished in some parts that I can see
        Unsatisfying and indigestible is your outer layer and
        Bereft of any meaning that could possibly be clear to me

        On the Inside:
        Numerous are the sour jewels of your memories
        Recalling dreams and other things that I have never seen
        Rotted are some, shattered are others, but there they lay together
        Clustered in intricacies that my mind cannot fathom much less explain

        On the Whole:
        Visible only on the outside, yet
        Underneath is what I wish to taste and smell
        Hear, touch and see. That is where you truly are, but
        Not the you that I shall ever know, for all that I know is the
        You that you present to me