Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: Seasons Greetings

  • JoAnn Schwartz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      JoAnn:
      >> As for regretting the Romans throwing the Christians to
      >> the lions, well, I regret it about as much as most
      >> Christians regret the Burning Times or the Inquisition.

      Diana:
      > In other words, not much. That's what I meant. You view
      > it as not really having anything much to do with you,
      > and are content to go on feeling complacently superior to
      > other religions despite the fact that there's really no
      > basis for considering one superior to another. Pagan
      > religions aren't truer, and aren't closer to nature -
      > that belief itself is characteristic of most religions.
      > Yeah, my maya varies :)

      Huh, met some evangelical pagans, have we? Personally,
      it's fine by me if your maya varies. I have no interest in
      "converting" you or anyone else. You are your own
      spiritual authority, after all. I got my *own* work to do.

      Blessings on the work,
      JoAnn

      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      When people tell you who they are — believe them. -- Maya Angelou
    • winters_diana
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
        > Diana:
        > > In other words, not much. That's what I meant. You view
        > > it as not really having anything much to do with you,
        > > and are content to go on feeling complacently superior to
        > > other religions despite the fact that there's really no
        > > basis for considering one superior to another. Pagan
        > > religions aren't truer, and aren't closer to nature -
        > > that belief itself is characteristic of most religions.
        > > Yeah, my maya varies :)

        JoAnn:

        > Huh, met some evangelical pagans, have we? Personally,
        > it's fine by me if your maya varies. I have no interest in
        > "converting" you or anyone else. You are your own
        > spiritual authority, after all. I got my *own* work to do.

        This was a response to the article you posted - not a personal
        comment that I thought you were trying to convert me. Neither
        anything I said nor the article had anything to do with anybody
        converting anybody. It was a response to the self-congratulatory tone
        of the article, which implied, as I pointed out, that paganism was
        a "realer," "truer" religion, closer to nature etc., older and thus
        more authentic, the very familiar theme among modern pagans that
        Judeo-Christianity is a sort of overlay of an earlier, more genuine
        religious understanding. (We would all be worshipping Saturn if only
        we understood the real meaning of the holiday; Easter is "really" a
        fertility rite, etc.)

        I pointed out that the problem with this self-perception on the part
        of many pagans, for instance the author of that piece, is that it is
        not true.
        Diana