Re: Seasons Greetings

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "winters_diana"
      <winters_diana@...> wrote:

      Yeah, my maya varies :)

      Yeah! Nyuk, nyuk.
    • JoAnn Schwartz
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
        JoAnn:
        >> As for regretting the Romans throwing the Christians to
        >> the lions, well, I regret it about as much as most
        >> Christians regret the Burning Times or the Inquisition.

        Diana:
        > In other words, not much. That's what I meant. You view
        > it as not really having anything much to do with you,
        > and are content to go on feeling complacently superior to
        > other religions despite the fact that there's really no
        > basis for considering one superior to another. Pagan
        > religions aren't truer, and aren't closer to nature -
        > that belief itself is characteristic of most religions.
        > Yeah, my maya varies :)

        Huh, met some evangelical pagans, have we? Personally,
        it's fine by me if your maya varies. I have no interest in
        "converting" you or anyone else. You are your own
        spiritual authority, after all. I got my *own* work to do.

        Blessings on the work,
        JoAnn

        ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
        When people tell you who they are — believe them. -- Maya Angelou
      • winters_diana
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
          > Diana:
          > > In other words, not much. That's what I meant. You view
          > > it as not really having anything much to do with you,
          > > and are content to go on feeling complacently superior to
          > > other religions despite the fact that there's really no
          > > basis for considering one superior to another. Pagan
          > > religions aren't truer, and aren't closer to nature -
          > > that belief itself is characteristic of most religions.
          > > Yeah, my maya varies :)

          JoAnn:

          > Huh, met some evangelical pagans, have we? Personally,
          > it's fine by me if your maya varies. I have no interest in
          > "converting" you or anyone else. You are your own
          > spiritual authority, after all. I got my *own* work to do.

          This was a response to the article you posted - not a personal
          comment that I thought you were trying to convert me. Neither
          anything I said nor the article had anything to do with anybody
          converting anybody. It was a response to the self-congratulatory tone
          of the article, which implied, as I pointed out, that paganism was
          a "realer," "truer" religion, closer to nature etc., older and thus
          more authentic, the very familiar theme among modern pagans that
          Judeo-Christianity is a sort of overlay of an earlier, more genuine
          religious understanding. (We would all be worshipping Saturn if only
          we understood the real meaning of the holiday; Easter is "really" a
          fertility rite, etc.)

          I pointed out that the problem with this self-perception on the part
          of many pagans, for instance the author of that piece, is that it is
          not true.
          Diana