Have we already arrived?

  • sonnywiles
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2007
      "We are going forward to an age when, as I indicated recently, men
      will understand what the atom is, in reality. It will be realised —
      by the public mind too — that the atom is nothing but coagulated
      electricity. — The thought itself is composed of the same substance.
      Before the end of the fifth epoch of culture, science will have
      reached the stage where man will be able to penetrate into the atom
      itself. When the similarity of substance between the thought and the
      atom is once comprehended, the way to get hold of the forces
      contained in the atom will soon be discovered and then nothing will
      be inaccessible to certain methods of working. — A man standing here,
      let us say, will be able by pressing a button concealed in his
      pocket, to explode some object at a great distance — say in Hamburg!
      Just as by setting up a wave-movement here and causing it to take a
      particular form at some other place, wireless telegraphy is possible,
      so what I have just indicated will be within man's power when the
      occult truth that thought and atom consist of the same substance is
      put into practical application.

      It is impossible to conceive what might happen in such circumstances
      if mankind has not, by then, reached selflessness. The attainment of
      selflessness alone will enable humanity to be kept from the brink of
      destruction. The downfall of our present epoch will be caused by lack
      of morality. The Lemurian epoch was destroyed by fire, the Atlantean
      by water; our epoch and its civilisation will be destroyed by the War
      of All against All, by evil. Human beings will destroy each other in
      mutual strife. And the terrible thing — more desperately tragic than
      other catastrophes — will be that the blame will lie with human
      beings themselves.

      A tiny handful of men will make good and thus insure their survival
      in the sixth epoch of civilisation. This tiny handful will have
      attained selflessness. The others will develop every imaginable skill
      and subtlety in the manipulation and use of the physical forces of
      nature, but without the essential degree of selflessness.

      In the seventh epoch of civilisation, this War of All against All
      will break out in the most terrible form. Great and mighty forces
      will be let loose by the discoveries, turning the whole earth-globe
      into a kind of [self-functioning] live electric mass. In a way that
      cannot be discussed, the tiny handful will be protected and
      preserved."
      Rudolf Steiner
      Berlin, December 23, 1904
      GA 93