ENOLA backwards is ALONE

  • laquerencia33@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
      This is where the mind really boggles - how in God's earth Tebbits could
      remain so hard hearted even after meeting someone like Takahashi. Very
      much like Robert Oppenheimer who reportedly never apologized even when he
      visited Japan and addressed the Japanese people in the years following the
      war. The excellent biography of Oppie, "American Prometheus", also makes
      clear that Japan was defeated well before the nukes were dropped, everyone
      in the military brass knew it, but there just had to be a demonstration
      conducted on a large city to justify the Manhattan Project - so all the
      hoopla about the bombing being necessary in order to avoid a land invasion
      of Japan and saving thousands of GI lives was just that.

      And here we stand today with Bush threatening to nuke Iran.

      musing, these people need to be put on an island somewhere...alone,
      Deborah
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
        Deborah B wrote:

        > This is where the mind really boggles - how in God's earth Tebbits
        could
        > remain so hard hearted even after meeting someone like Takahashi.
        Very
        > much like Robert Oppenheimer who reportedly never apologized even
        when he
        > visited Japan and addressed the Japanese people in the years
        following the
        > war. The excellent biography of Oppie, "American Prometheus", also
        makes
        > clear that Japan was defeated well before the nukes were dropped,
        everyone
        > in the military brass knew it, but there just had to be a
        demonstration
        > conducted on a large city to justify the Manhattan Project - so all
        the
        > hoopla about the bombing being necessary in order to avoid a land
        invasion
        > of Japan and saving thousands of GI lives was just that.

        It seems to me that those guys crept into their soul-cocoons,
        justifying their complicity forever because they recognized that the
        alternative could jeopardize their sanity. This included Harry Truman,
        who defended his decision (made during a poker game btw) until he died
        in the early seventies.

        Take the case of Claude Eatherly, the pilot who gave the go-ahead
        signal to Tebbits at the tender age of 20, who was struck later by
        terrible pangs of conscience when he realized what he had been a part
        of -- the man who was decorated for heroism while he wanted to be
        punished for a war crime, began sending money to Hiroshima, held up
        banks without taking any money, just to get himself arrested and
        punished, who was picked up and locked up by the military and declared
        insane -- Peter Normann Waage wrote an essay about this guy entitled
        "Conscience Forbidden."

        Perhaps we'll get back to Eatherly later.

        > And here we stand today with Bush threatening to nuke Iran.

        Oh yes, he was stopped a few years ago by a handful of generals
        threatening to resign if Bush didn't take the nuclear option off the
        table, so he did -- but it didn't stop Truman when a handful of
        generals left the meeting in protest when the nuking of Japan was
        being discussed...

        > musing, these people need to be put on an island somewhere...alone,

        With sticks and stones and with no access to technology beyond the
        invention of fire and the wheel. No electricity! If they try to build
        electric, we'll invade the island and destroy their fun, and we'll zap
        them with Star Trek phasers in stun mode.