Re: What Scott Said [WAS: Digest Number 2277]

  • winters_diana
    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 28, 2007
      Diana :

      >Joanne, your Bravo - oh, excuse me, it was "twinkles" -

      Joanne:

      >Then I am afraid you are doomed to disappointment, Diana,

      Yes, Joanne.

      >ps.. is it racist when Gaelman calls me a "sweet earth mama" or is
      >t only racist if he says it to a black woman?

      It's not racist to say it to anyone. This sort of reply suggests to
      me a sincere determination to remain unengaged with the actual
      question here - it seems quite impossible to me that you don't
      actually understand this. Calling someone an earth mama has nothing
      to do with racism. It's the belief that the person's *skin color* is
      tied to this quality or determines this quality or (even worse) is
      spiritually connected to this quality.

      (It also does not have anything to do with - I am anticipating
      Jennifer next - whether being a sweet earth mama is a compliment or
      not.)

      >Is it possible for me to be "earthy," even though my skin
      >is as white as the milk?

      Why would you ask me this question? Is my opinion not clear? It is
      not credible that your grasp of the concept of racism is this
      primitive. It is possible for anyone to be earthy regardless of skin
      color.

      Diana
    • winters_diana
      Message 37 of 37 , Oct 28, 2007