Fwd: Calendar of the Soul 29, Anthro on the Net

  • Tom Mellett
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28 11:32 AM

      -----Original Message-----
      From: randolph mccready <rgmcc@...>
      To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
      Cc: rgmcc@...
      Sent: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 10:29 am
      Subject: Calendar of the Soul 29, Anthro on the Net ff

      Anthro on the Net - Calendar of the Soul
      Rudolf Steiner’s
      Calendar of the Soul[September 16, 2007 - September 22, 2007]
      Twenty-ninth Week
       Click here WMP or here  MP3  for audio reading
      To kindle in myself with all my strength
      The radiance of thinking’s power,
      To read the meaning of experience
      From the cosmic Spirit’s source of strength;
      For me all this is summer’s heritage,
      Is autumn’s rest and winter’s hope.
      * translation by John Thomson.
      My True Selfmust now work within me
      to foster the light of thinking
      which will infuse my life with inner meaning
      out of the spirit fountain of strength.
      This is my summer inheritance,
      my source of autumnal serenity,
      and my deepest hope in winter.
      * translation by Dennis Klocek.
      To ignite the light of thinking
      so forcefully within me---
      To live within the meaning
      of the cosmic spirit's source of power---

      This is for me:

      The heritage of summer,
      The tranquillity of fall,
      The hope of winter.
      * translation by Tom Mellett.
      To fan the spark of thinking into flame
      By my own strong endeavor,
      To read life's inner meaning
      Out of the cosmic spirit's fount of strength:
      This is my summer heritage,
      My autumn solace, and my winter hope.
      * translation by Ruth and Hans Pusch
      Sich selbst erschaffend stets,
      Wird Seelensein sich selbst gewahr;
      Der Weltengeist, er strebet fort
      In Selbsterkenntnis neu belebt
      Und schafft aus Seelenfinsternis
      Des Selbstsinns Willensfrucht.
      * original German by Rudolf Steiner.
      Vigorously to kindle here within
      the shining light of thought,
      from out of the World-spirit's well of strength
      to draw up meaning and make sense
      of past experience:
      all this for me is summertime's bequest,
      is winter's hope and autumn's rest.
      The Year Participated
      translation by Owen Barfield

      About the Calendar of the Soul - by Rudolf Steiner

      The year has a life of its own, and the human soul can share in that life and become part of it. In listening week by week to the changing language of the year, the soul will find a way to discover also its own nature; it will realize how forces are stirring within its being and giving it new life and strength. Such forces are awakened if one develops a profound sympathy with the course of the year and all the meaning it brings to the changing world. Only through such sympathy can the soul become aware of the fine but significant threads that bind it to the world into which it is born.
      In this Calendar the verse given for each week is intended to help the soul into an experience of that week as part of the life of the whole year. The Calendar is designed to express all that echoes in the soul when it unites itself with that life. It aims at creating a healthy feeling of at-one-ness with the goings–on of nature, and consequently a strong self-discovery, in the belief that to share in the yearly movement of the world, in the manner exemplified in these verses, is something for which the human soul has a deep longing, if only it understands its own nature.

      History of the Calendar of the Soul Verses

      The first limited edition of The Calendar of the Soul Verses was published in March 1912 as part of a calendar, never to be reissued. Imma von Eckhardstein illustrated the calendar, following Steiner’s indications, mainly of the twelve zodiacal images. In 1918, the verses of the Calendar of the Soul were distributed along with a short introduction  by Rudolf Steiner, was packaged together with Waldorf Astoria cigarettes to reach German soldiers struggling at the end of World War I. This was part of a project, initialized by Emil Molt, the owner of the Waldorf Astoria Cigaretten Gesellschaft, which also evolved into a publication of the verses as an insert in a few Herman Hesse editions reaching German prisoners of war.

      "You will find meditative verses for the individual weeks of the year. You should take these meditations quite particularly into your hearts, for they contain what can make the soul alive and what really corresponds
      to a living relationship of the soul forces to the forces of the macrocosm." - Rudolf Steiner

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)