Southern Cross Review Nr. 55

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007
      Dear Friends in A_T Heaven,
      The Home Page this month at http://SouthernCrossReview.org contains a
      rant by me about the Iraq War and George W. Bush. ("Isn't he awful?"
      an Argentine lady said to me four years ago. I agreed; now I use
      stronger words.)
      In the "Editor's Page" this month we offer a new True Tale – about a
      war of sorts long ago and far away from most of you.
      Current Events brings articles by Juan Cole, who compares Bush to
      Napoleon! Really, the situations are similar. A few Sergeants who are
      serving in Iraq describe the war as they see it. Too bad they aren't
      Chiefs of Staff. Then Tom Engelhardt tells us why complete withdrawal
      from Iraq is a myth.
      Under "Features" Al Gore pops up, but not as a future president,
      rather as an anti-global warming guru who won't talk about one of the
      real reasons: meat. An historical article about the first Battle of
      Kabul follows, something which should have taught our leaders a
      lesson, and Tom Engelhardt's final chapter about language.
      "Education" reveals the history of alternative schools – another
      indication that public education has failed, and not only in the
      United States.
      Now we come to what you've all been waiting for: "Fiction" which,
      despite its name, is often more truthful that the so-called truth. A
      romantic story with a bittersweet ending by your Editor takes the
      lead, followed by a Roman Folly by Gaither Stewart. Then comes a long
      classic by Rudyard Kipling. (It also takes place in unconquerable
      Afghanistan.) Orwell's 1984 serialization continues.
      In the Science section Polish Professor Rudnicki's cosmology study
      continues and another professor, Valdemar Setzer from Brazil, tells us
      why he is a spiritualist.
      On of my favorite poets, Edna St. Vincent Millay, is represented by
      two beautiful poems in the "Poetry" section, and Book Reviews of books
      by Richard Tarnas and Gaither Stewart make up the rear.
      Enjoy!
      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org
    • write3chairs
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2007
        wrote:

        > http://SouthernCrossReview.org

        Nice work, Frank! I especially like "The Moonlighter."

        Thanks,
        Jennifer