Re: August meteor showers

  • doybia
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2007
      continuing:

      Indra, when you killed the first-born of Dragons, and overcame by
      your magic the magic of the magicians, at that very moment, you
      brought forth the sun, the sky, and dawn. Since then, you have found
      no enemy to conquer you.

      With his great weapon, the thunderbolt, Indra killed the
      shoulderless Vrtra, his greatest enemy. Like the trunk of a tree,
      whose brances have been lopped off by an axe,the Dragon lies flat
      upon the ground.

      For muddled by drunkenness like one who is no soldier, Vrtra
      challenged the great hero who had overcome the mighty and who drank
      the Soma to the dregs. Unable to withstand the onslaught of his
      weapons, he found Indra an enemy to conquer him and was shattered,
      his nose crushed.

      Without feet or hands, he fought against Indra, who struck him on
      the nape of the neck with his thunderbolt. The steer, who wished to
      become the equal of the bull bursting with seed, Vrtra lay broken in
      many places.

      Over him, as he lay there like a broken reed, the swelling waters
      flowed for human beings. Those waters that Vrtra had enclosed within
      his power--the dragon now lay at their feet...

      In the midst of the channels of the waters, which never stood still
      or rested, the body was hidden. The waters flow over Vrtra's secret
      place: he who found Indra an enemy to conquer him sank into long
      darkness.
      [Rig Veda 1,32. Adapted from the translation by Wendy O'Flaherty
      (Penguin Books, 1981.)]

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "doybia" <doybia@...>