Lammas Day

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Here is a poem in celebration of Lammas, sometimes known as
      Lughnasadh ... It is a festival of the first fruits of the
      harvest.

      Merrily,
      JoAnn

      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      Little Summer Poem Touching the Subject of Faith

      Every summer
      I listen and look
      under the sun's brass and even
      into the moonlight, but I can't hear

      anything, I can't see anything --
      not the pale roots digging down, nor the green stalks
      muscling up,
      nor the leaves
      deepening their damp pleats,

      nor the tassels making,
      nor the shucks, nor the cobs.
      And still,
      every day,

      the leafy fields
      grow taller and thicker --
      green gowns lofting up in the night,
      showered with silk.

      And so, every summer,
      I fail as a witness, seeing nothing --
      I am deaf too
      to the tick of the leaves,

      the tapping of downwardness from the banyan feet --
      all of it
      happening
      beyond any seeable proof, or hearable hum.

      And, therefore, let the immeasurable come.
      Let the unknowable touch the buckle of my spine.
      Let the wind turn in the trees,
      and the mystery hidden in the dirt

      swing through the air.
      How could I look at anything in this world
      and tremble, and grip my hands over my heart?
      What should I fear?

      One morning
      in the leafy green ocean
      the honeycomb of the corn's beautiful body
      is sure to be there.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~

      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      "Life's short and we never have enough time for the hearts of those who travel the way with us. O, be swift to love! Make haste to be kind." --Henri-Frederic Amiel
    • doybia
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
        Thank you. Mary Oliver is a popular poet at my library and I always
        buy her books.
        DeborahK

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Jo Ann Schwartz
        <sr_joanna@...> wrote:

        > Here is a poem in celebration of Lammas, sometimes known as
        > Lughnasadh ... It is a festival of the first fruits of the
        > harvest.
        >
        > Merrily,
        > JoAnn
        >
        > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
        >
        > Little Summer Poem Touching the Subject of Faith
        >
        > Every summer
        > I listen and look
        > under the sun's brass and even
        > into the moonlight, but I can't hear
        >
        > anything, I can't see anything --
        > not the pale roots digging down, nor the green stalks
        > muscling up,
        > nor the leaves
        > deepening their damp pleats,
        >
        > nor the tassels making,
        > nor the shucks, nor the cobs.
        > And still,
        > every day,
        >
        > the leafy fields
        > grow taller and thicker --
        > green gowns lofting up in the night,
        > showered with silk.
        >
        > And so, every summer,
        > I fail as a witness, seeing nothing --
        > I am deaf too
        > to the tick of the leaves,
        >
        > the tapping of downwardness from the banyan feet --
        > all of it
        > happening
        > beyond any seeable proof, or hearable hum.
        >
        > And, therefore, let the immeasurable come.
        > Let the unknowable touch the buckle of my spine.
        > Let the wind turn in the trees,
        > and the mystery hidden in the dirt
        >
        > swing through the air.
        > How could I look at anything in this world
        > and tremble, and grip my hands over my heart?
        > What should I fear?
        >
        > One morning
        > in the leafy green ocean
        > the honeycomb of the corn's beautiful body
        > is sure to be there.
        >
        > ~ Mary Oliver ~

        ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
        ^~
        > "Life's short and we never have enough time for the hearts of
        those who travel the way with us. O, be swift to love! Make haste to
        be kind." --Henri-Frederic Amiel

      • write3chairs
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "doybia" wrote:

          > Thank you. Mary Oliver is a popular poet at my library and I always
          > buy her books.
          > DeborahK
          >
          > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Jo Ann Schwartz
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Here is a poem in celebration of Lammas, sometimes known as
          > > Lughnasadh ... It is a festival of the first fruits of the
          > > harvest.
          > >
          > > Merrily,
          > > JoAnn

          Yes, thank you, JoAnn! Are we feeling festive yet? ;)

          Cheers,
          Jennifer
        • doybia
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
            Festive? Not sure. Someone gave me to large zucchini today and I
            also noticed that a farmer was "making hay while the sun shone" so I
            guess the first fruits bit is definitely on target.

            Other fresh yummies here in Vermont:
            Blueberries, tomatoes, green beans, small potatoes, raspberries,
            cucumbers and much more.

            Summer tastes good.
            DeborahK

            --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "write3chairs"