August meteor showers

  • doybia
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31 5:00 PM
      http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Michaelmas/19231015p01.html

      And now we see how against this Ahrimanic desire-element, against
      this animal desire-nature of man turned inside out, as it were, in
      the cosmos, an opposing force is present. The force which brings the
      human being into subjection through his emotions, dragging him down
      below the human to the animal level, and is revealed in full summer
      high above us — against this a counter-force is provided in the
      cosmos. This counter-force is seen in those remarkable products
      which from time to time fall on to the Earth as products of the
      cosmos and contain meteoric iron. If you look at a piece of meteoric
      iron, you have in it a remarkable witness of the iron dispersed in
      the cosmos. In the shooting stars which come so frequently in August
      and bring iron into special activity, as it were, in the cosmos, we
      see revealed this counter-force of Nature acting against the desire-
      element which by that time is out there in the cosmos. And in this
      cosmic iron, condensed to meteoric stones, we have the arrows which
      the cosmos sends out against the animal desire element which, as I
      have just described, is cosmically manifest.

      From "The Festivals and Their Meaning: Michaelmas IV" by Rudolf
      Steiner

      Thank you to the Rudolf Steiner Archive

      I love this lecture!

      DeborahK
    • doybia
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2007
        I'm trying to get into a Michaelmas mood, and I think it will take a
        bit of work, so I'm starting early.

        I'm going to be quoting some poems (over the next few weeks) and
        other stuff from "The Archangel Michael: His Mission and Ours:
        Selected Lectures and Writings by Rudolf Steiner" Anthroposophic
        Press, 1994.

        From the Rig Veda:

        Let me now sing the heroic deeds of Indra, the first that the
        thunderbolt-wielder performed. He killed the Dragon and pierced an
        opening for the waters; he split open the bellies of mountains.

        He killed the Dragon who lay upon the mountain; Tvastr fashioned the
        roaring thunderbolt for him. Like lowing cows, the flowing waters
        rushed straight down to the sea.

        Wildly excited like a bull, he took the Soma for himself and drank
        the extract from the three bowls in the three-day Soma ceremony.
        Indra, the generous, seized his thunderbolt to hurl it as a weapon:
        he killed the first-born of Dragons.
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "doybia" <doybia@...>
        wrote:

        > http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/Michaelmas/19231015p01.html
        >
        > And now we see how against this Ahrimanic desire-element, against
        > this animal desire-nature of man turned inside out, as it were, in
        > the cosmos, an opposing force is present. The force which brings
        the
        > human being into subjection through his emotions, dragging him
        down
        > below the human to the animal level, and is revealed in full
        summer
        > high above us — against this a counter-force is provided in the
        > cosmos. This counter-force is seen in those remarkable products
        > which from time to time fall on to the Earth as products of the
        > cosmos and contain meteoric iron. If you look at a piece of
        meteoric
        > iron, you have in it a remarkable witness of the iron dispersed in
        > the cosmos. In the shooting stars which come so frequently in
        August
        > and bring iron into special activity, as it were, in the cosmos,
        we
        > see revealed this counter-force of Nature acting against the
        desire-
        > element which by that time is out there in the cosmos. And in this
        > cosmic iron, condensed to meteoric stones, we have the arrows
        which
        > the cosmos sends out against the animal desire element which, as I
        > have just described, is cosmically manifest.
        >
        > From "The Festivals and Their Meaning: Michaelmas IV" by Rudolf
        > Steiner
        >
        > Thank you to the Rudolf Steiner Archive
        >
        > I love this lecture!
        >
        > DeborahK

      • write3chairs
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2007
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "doybia" wrote:

          > I'm trying to get into a Michaelmas mood, and I think it
          > will take a bit of work, so I'm starting early.
          >
          > I'm going to be quoting some poems (over the next few weeks) and
          > other stuff from "The Archangel Michael: His Mission and Ours:
          > Selected Lectures and Writings by Rudolf Steiner" Anthroposophic
          > Press, 1994.

          Deborah, thank you! I came across a quotation this morning that I
          wanted to share here, too. It's from Federico García Lorca's POEMA DEL
          CANTE JONDO (1931, Deep Song).

          "The muse of Góngora and the angel of Garcilaso must let go of their
          laurel garlands when the duende of St. John the Cross comes by."
        • doybia
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2007
            Could you provide a bit more background for this quote? My curiosity
            is piqued!
            DeborahK

            --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "write3chairs"

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2007
              --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "doybia" wrote:

              > Could you provide a bit more background
              > for this quote? My curiosity is piqued!

              Absolutely! Deborah, I am glad you asked. It is from a book I have
              mentioned here before, "The Demon and the Angel," by Edward Hirsch. I
              found it in a chapter titled "Night Work." Here is the entire opening
              paragraph of that chapter:

              There is consolation in the idea that the dark night of the soul is the
              duende's special province. Lorca declares, "The muse of Góngora and the
              angel of Garcilaso must let go of their laurel garlands when the duende
              of St. John the Cross comes by" (Deep Song). Saint John's subject was
              spiritual negation and mystical union, the self alarmed and abandoned
              utterly, so desolate, so desperate in its crying out, so abject in its
              need for a savior that it signals a transfiguration. We are moving into
              the realm of the self lost and found and lost again, the realm of the
              sacred. The dark night is a holy hour when the spirit comes to Saint
              John as an erotic visitation, a saving grace, a sovereign hand that
              wounds. He is "inflamed by love's desire." He is filled and emptied
              out. Here are the conclusive three stanzas of "Dark Night," in Frank
              Bidart's spirited rendition:

              As he lay sleeping on my sleepless
              breast, kept from the beginning for him
              alone, lying on the gift I gave
              as the restless
              fragrant cedars moved the restless winds,--

              winds from the circling parapet circling
              us as I lay there touching and lifting his hair,--
              with his sovereign hand, he
              wounded my neck--
              and my senses, when they touched that, touched nothing...

              In a dark night (there where I
              lost myself,--) as I leaned to rest
              in his smooth white breast, everything
              ceased
              and left me, forgotten in the grave of forgotten lilies.
              ---

              Jennifer

              > DeborahK
            • doybia
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2007
                I realized that I was still a bit puzzled and spotted the problem: a
                new vocabulary word: duende

                Here is what I found when I went searching:

                quote:
                Duende like art itself has faces that are both appealing and
                dangerous. It can be dark and hard to pin down.
                Coming from southern Spain, "Duende" has only recently migrated to
                English. Dictionaries give meanings sometimes at odds with each
                other.

                The New Oxford English Dictionary gives:

                1. A ghost, an evil spirit; 2. Inspiration, magic, fire.

                The Random House Dictionary gives:

                1. A goblin, demon, spirit; 2. Charm, magnetism.

                The Larousse Spanish-English Dictionary translates duende as Goblin,
                elf, imp/Magic. It gives the usages: los duendes del Flamenco, the
                Magic of Flamenco; tener duende, to have a certain magic.

                We take our cue from the great Spanish poet, Federico Garcia Lorca.
                He gave a famous lecture on La Teoria y Juego del Duende – The
                Theory and Function of Duende. Lorca says:

                "All through Andalusia . . . people speak constantly of duende, and
                recognize it with unfailing instinct when it appears. The wonderful
                flamenco singer El Lebrijano said: `When I sing with duende, no one
                can equal me.' . . . Manuel Torres, a man with more culture in his
                veins than anybody I have known, when listening to Falla play his
                own `Nocturno del Genaralife,' made his splendid pronouncement: `All
                that has dark sounds has duende.' And there is no greater truth.

                "These dark sounds are the mystery, the roots thrusting into the
                fertile loam known to all of us, ignored by all of us, but from
                which we get what is real in art. . . .

                "Thus duende is a power and not a behavior, it is a struggle and not
                a concept. I have heard an old master guitarist say: `Duende is not
                in the throat; duende surges up from the soles of the feet.' Which
                means it is not a matter of ability, but of real live form; of
                blood; of ancient culture; of creative action."

                So we have taken the name DUENDE in order to honor Lorca's dark
                creative force. Duende is there to challenge us to keep our ears
                open to the `dark sounds,' to keep our touch with the earth and with
                the ghosts of those who have come before, to never refuse the
                struggle which is needed to keep the spirits working on the side of
                truth.

                <write3chairs@...> wrote:

                > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "doybia" wrote:
                >
                > > Could you provide a bit more background
                > > for this quote? My curiosity is piqued!
                >
                > Absolutely! Deborah, I am glad you asked. It is from a book I have
                > mentioned here before, "The Demon and the Angel," by Edward
                Hirsch. I
                > found it in a chapter titled "Night Work." Here is the entire
                opening
                > paragraph of that chapter:
                >
                > There is consolation in the idea that the dark night of the soul
                is the
                > duende's special province. Lorca declares, "The muse of Góngora
                and the
                > angel of Garcilaso must let go of their laurel garlands when the
                duende
                > of St. John the Cross comes by" (Deep Song). Saint John's subject
                was
                > spiritual negation and mystical union, the self alarmed and
                abandoned
                > utterly, so desolate, so desperate in its crying out, so abject in
                its
                > need for a savior that it signals a transfiguration. We are moving
                into
                > the realm of the self lost and found and lost again, the realm of
                the
                > sacred. The dark night is a holy hour when the spirit comes to
                Saint
                > John as an erotic visitation, a saving grace, a sovereign hand
                that
                > wounds. He is "inflamed by love's desire." He is filled and
                emptied
                > out. Here are the conclusive three stanzas of "Dark Night," in
                Frank
                > Bidart's spirited rendition:
                >
                > As he lay sleeping on my sleepless
                > breast, kept from the beginning for him
                > alone, lying on the gift I gave
                > as the restless
                > fragrant cedars moved the restless winds,--
                >
                > winds from the circling parapet circling
                > us as I lay there touching and lifting his hair,--
                > with his sovereign hand, he
                > wounded my neck--
                > and my senses, when they touched that, touched nothing...
                >
                > In a dark night (there where I
                > lost myself,--) as I leaned to rest
                > in his smooth white breast, everything
                > ceased
                > and left me, forgotten in the grave of forgotten lilies.
                > ---
                >
                > Jennifer
                >
                > > DeborahK

              • doybia
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 18, 2007
                  continuing:

                  Indra, when you killed the first-born of Dragons, and overcame by
                  your magic the magic of the magicians, at that very moment, you
                  brought forth the sun, the sky, and dawn. Since then, you have found
                  no enemy to conquer you.

                  With his great weapon, the thunderbolt, Indra killed the
                  shoulderless Vrtra, his greatest enemy. Like the trunk of a tree,
                  whose brances have been lopped off by an axe,the Dragon lies flat
                  upon the ground.

                  For muddled by drunkenness like one who is no soldier, Vrtra
                  challenged the great hero who had overcome the mighty and who drank
                  the Soma to the dregs. Unable to withstand the onslaught of his
                  weapons, he found Indra an enemy to conquer him and was shattered,
                  his nose crushed.

                  Without feet or hands, he fought against Indra, who struck him on
                  the nape of the neck with his thunderbolt. The steer, who wished to
                  become the equal of the bull bursting with seed, Vrtra lay broken in
                  many places.

                  Over him, as he lay there like a broken reed, the swelling waters
                  flowed for human beings. Those waters that Vrtra had enclosed within
                  his power--the dragon now lay at their feet...

                  In the midst of the channels of the waters, which never stood still
                  or rested, the body was hidden. The waters flow over Vrtra's secret
                  place: he who found Indra an enemy to conquer him sank into long
                  darkness.
                  [Rig Veda 1,32. Adapted from the translation by Wendy O'Flaherty
                  (Penguin Books, 1981.)]