Speaking of basement children ...

  • write3chairs
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2007
      I've been following this story for awhile,
      sensing its importance, and see it's getting
      more and more attention, which is good.

      Jennifer

      This article is on the front page of the
      July issue of the Dallas Peace Times,
      published by the Dallas Peace Center,
      http://dallaspeacecenter.org

      Article posted at http://dallas.craigslist.org/vnn/355484859.html

      Hutto Vigil X - No Child Left Behind Bars!

      ----------
      Reply to: beth.freed@...
      Date: 2007-06-19, 12:11PM CDT

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Contact:
      Beth Freed, Children and Families for Humane Treatment Alliance,
      beth.freed@...

      Activists Form Coalition to Demand That Children Are No Longer
      Incarcerated in Hutto Detention Facility

      The Hutto Residential Facility is a privately-run, for-profit prison
      that arbitrarily houses children and their parents in violation of
      international law. Under Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
      jurisdiction, the former medium-security prison was contracted to the
      Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) in May 2006.

      On any given day, almost 500 people are detained at the prison. Many
      of the inmates are refugees who have applied for political asylum.
      The ACLU and University of Texas have filed several lawsuits against
      Michael Chertoff, Secretary of the Dept. of Homeland Security and six
      officials from I.C.E. on behalf of 17 detained children.

      Just a few weeks ago an inmate reported that she had been sexually
      abused by a prison guard. Children are treated similarly to criminals
      incarcerated after convictions, and they required to wake for
      breakfast at 5:30 a.m., and are threatened with separation from their
      mothers if they misbehave or play too loudly.

      In honor of World Refugee Day, Amnesty International, an
      international human rights organization, has partnered with Free the
      Children, a network of Texas and national activists, to plan Hutto
      Vigil X (ten). See below for event details. Activists are calling for
      the closure of Hutto, and that alternative methods be identified to
      care for children and their families as they are processed through
      the immigration court system.

      Children and Families for Humane Treatment Alliance (CAFHTA) is a DFW-
      based coalition including LULAC, CAIR-DFW, Muslim Legal Fund of
      America (MLFA), the Dallas Peace Center and others. We will be
      meeting on Saturday, June 23 in Richardson at 7 a.m. and Irving at
      7:30 a.m. to leave on a bus for Taylor.

      Participating sponsors in Hutto Vigil X include: Amnesty
      International, LULAC National, Texans United For Families (TUFF),
      Free the Children Coalition and CAFHTA. Rosa Rosales, President of
      LULAC, Elizabeth Kucinich, Jay Johnson-Castro and two former
      detainees are lined up to speak, and bands will perform as well. We
      would appreciate any media attention on this important national issue
      and the local efforts that are organizing to reform it. See below for
      more details.

      Text Box Information:
      What: Hutto Vigil X, sponsored by Amnesty International, Free the
      Children Coalition
      When: Saturday, June 23 all day, with the official speakers from 1
      p.m. to 3 p.m.
      Where: Hutto "Residential" Facility, 1001 Welch Rd, Taylor, TX, 76574
      How to get involved: Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAFHTA/

      Bus Info (For the media, not for publication): The bus pick-up
      locations are: Islamic Association of North Texas, 840 Abrams Road in
      Richardson at 7 a.m. and the Islamic Center of Irving, 2555 N. Esters
      Rd in Irving at 7:30 a.m.

      For more information, visit these links:

      On the licensing exemption by the Texas Department of Family and
      Protective Services:
      http://texascivilrightsreview.org/phpnuke/modules.php?
      name=News&file=article&sid=954

      UN denied access:
      http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?
      res=F30F1FFE38550C768DDDAC0894DF404482

      ACLU brings lawsuit:
      http://www.aclu.org/immigrants/detention/hutto.html

      Corrections Corporation of America: A Critical Look At Its First
      Twenty Years
      http://www.soros.org/initiatives/justice/articles_publications/publica
      tions/cca_20_years_20031201

      WFAA (Dallas) reports on Hutto:
      http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/localnews/investigates/stor
      ies/wfaa070309_lj_shipp2.3547b649.html

      KXAN (Austin) reports on sexual misconduct:
      http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?s=6561524
    • Tarjei Straume
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2007
        Jennifer, you wrote:

        >I've been following this story for awhile, sensing its importance,
        >and see it's getting more and more attention, which is good.

        I truly appreciate that you bring this up. They have those private
        prisons in Texas on behalf of the INS, where young children are
        incarcerated for the "crime" of having parents whose residential
        papers are not in order. It's a frightening and traumatic experience
        for the kids, they have to sleep apart from their parents, there are
        criminals there too, and they get no schooling and nobody to play with.