Rudolf Steiner on the Catholic Church

  • ottmar12
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2007
      Rudolf Steiner on the Catholic Church

      When you study Rudolf Steiner's ideas and attitude towards the
      Catholic Church, you'll find that he distinguishes between 3 aspects
      of `the church':

      1 the organization, its politics, ..
      2 the dogma
      3 the live of individuals (priests as well as laymen)

      On 1: the strive or greed for power, the intrigues, the more or less
      successful attempts to direct world affairs, the attempt to eliminate
      ideas or proponents of ideas within the organization which or who are
      considered deviant or heretic, personal politics etc. all this is
      judged negatively.
      On 2: the dogma is cristallized, completely mummified knowledge of
      old, even pre-christian times times, (the mass, trinity etc.) The
      church says, there will be no new revelations, no new revelations are
      necessary. New doctrines are only an explanation of the once and for
      all terminated?finished?finalized? revelation. Newer developments,
      like the infallibility dogma of 1870 (and the bodily ascension of
      Mary 1950) fall in category 1! (Steiner stressed in the
      Klassenstunde, that this/his esoteric relevations/findings can and
      should be widened/continued in every direction.) The moment, there is
      no new influx of spiritual knowledge, a
      doctrine/Weltanschauung/theology/teaching slowly begins to mummify,
      cristallize.
      On 3: Steiner describes that he once observed a priest where at the
      moment of consecration of the oblate a shining light surrounded it,
      that with some priests you can observe the presence of Christ. And of
      course, individual members, laymen of the catholic church can acquire
      pure virtues and soul elements.

      This threestep/threefold way of studying/looking at a
      group/society/church/movement/party.. can, of course, also be applied
      to other bodies.
      With some good will you'll understand what I meant, in spite of my
      sometimes unsure use of terminology.
      Greetings from Old Europe
      Ottmar (male)
    • baymace
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2007
        Very informative post, Ottmar, thank you. That clearly spells out
        the difference between religion and the spiritual or mystical path.
        So interesting to read that the church would believe there will be
        no new revelations, and that new revelations are not necessary.
        Which certainly explains the church's need to control. Individual
        spiritual freedom and revelation is dangerous in that it would
        undermine not only the church's authority, but its very relevancy.

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "ottmar12"
        <ottmar12@...> wrote:

        > Rudolf Steiner on the Catholic Church
        >
        > When you study Rudolf Steiner's ideas and attitude towards the
        > Catholic Church, you'll find that he distinguishes between 3
        aspects
        > of `the church':
        >
        > 1 the organization, its politics, ..
        > 2 the dogma
        > 3 the live of individuals (priests as well as laymen)
        >
        > On 1: the strive or greed for power, the intrigues, the more or
        less
        > successful attempts to direct world affairs, the attempt to
        eliminate
        > ideas or proponents of ideas within the organization which or who
        are
        > considered deviant or heretic, personal politics etc. all this
        is
        > judged negatively.
        > On 2: the dogma is cristallized, completely mummified knowledge of
        > old, even pre-christian times times, (the mass, trinity etc.) The
        > church says, there will be no new revelations, no new revelations
        are
        > necessary. New doctrines are only an explanation of the once and
        for
        > all terminated?finished?finalized? revelation. Newer developments,
        > like the infallibility dogma of 1870 (and the bodily ascension of
        > Mary 1950) fall in category 1! (Steiner stressed in the
        > Klassenstunde, that this/his esoteric relevations/findings can and
        > should be widened/continued in every direction.) The moment, there
        is
        > no new influx of spiritual knowledge, a
        > doctrine/Weltanschauung/theology/teaching slowly begins to
        mummify,
        > cristallize.
        > On 3: Steiner describes that he once observed a priest where at
        the
        > moment of consecration of the oblate a shining light surrounded
        it,
        > that with some priests you can observe the presence of Christ. And
        of
        > course, individual members, laymen of the catholic church can
        acquire
        > pure virtues and soul elements.
        >
        > This threestep/threefold way of studying/looking at a
        > group/society/church/movement/party.. can, of course, also be
        applied
        > to other bodies.
        > With some good will you'll understand what I meant, in spite of my
        > sometimes unsure use of terminology.
        > Greetings from Old Europe
        > Ottmar (male)
      • baymace
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
          Sometime to keep in mind though: the same would apply to any human
          being who is striving to work with Universal or Christ
          Consciousness, and who brings that consciousness into their
          thinking, feeling and actions. Being a priest or layman or simply a
          member of a church or any spiritual or religious organization has
          nothing to do with it. One might even argue that such a thing
          hinders true individual spiritual self-development.