Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Peter S on materialism and physics

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2007
      Peter Staudenmaier:

      "Anthroposophical avoidance of discussion is not primarily an academic matter, and in any case academic seriousness is not the standard of seriousness that critics of anthroposophy generally invoke, certainly on this list. A few of us here are academics (most aren't), but even those of us who are academics do not demand that anthroposophists meet academic standards in our discussions. The standards that I think apply here are the usual standards for public discussion, not the much more restrictive standards of academic discourse."

      Friedrich Rittelmeyer:

      "When I was reading Rudolf Steiner's works, a faint voice would often whisper within me, but only gradually did I become attentive to it. It said: 'If this man is right, you - with all your knowledge - are just a pigmy! You may as well begin all over again, and even then you will never get to the point of proving these things for yourself with these higher organs that are promised! And so, if you let any of this teaching get into you, you will start as a pupil again and remain one for the rest of your life. You will have to build up your spiritual outlook from its very foundations, at the moment when you thought you were standing as a teacher before men, and when, moreover, they were looking for and needing you. And in any case you will never get very far in this new sphere.' Those who have had actual experience of this inner voice hear it speaking in others - who do not themselves hear it. Here is an example: A man writes a learned book in which he shows that humanity does not need all this new wisdom, that it is already contained in religion 'if men will only take it seriously'; or he proves that for everything 'new' there are analogies in history which he has known for a long time. Or he may prove that 'since Kant' nothing more can be known of the 'thing-in-itself'; or he may prove that this new knowledge is not so important, that it simply diverts attention from 'God', - which is the most essential thing of all, and so forth. - But he whose ears are more delicately attuned, often becomes aware of the voice which speaks of the 'pigmy'. He discerns it in the feeling of annoyance which makes him loth to embark upon a genuine examination of the new according to its own laws, but also in the attitude of false superiority which he adopts to the new in order to conceal his own inadequacies."

      (Rudolf Steiner Enters My Life)