Tich Nhat Hanh

  • gaelman58
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
      Bacemace wrote: "I had the privilege of meeting Thich Nhat Hanh a
      few years back. I
      would suggest that an individual of his background practices
      authentic understanding and acceptance on the level you speak of.
      The rest of us stumble and fall down when it comes to standing up in
      the face of contrary beliefs and opinions."

      B, I'm still back a few threads thinking about experience and
      knowledge...and the ideological garbage that infects this list and
      others...which is not to be confused with well written satire...I've
      read the man you speak of.

      What is it that you think this man has experienced and knows that
      makes him different than the rest of us?...regards, McCann
    • baymace
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
        First and foremost, I would say he appears to live entirely in the
        moment – and there is no room in the moment for ideological garbage.
        Second and entirely related: after reading his books, can you define
        his religion? The ideals of being aware in life and making peace are
        about as far from fundamentalism and dogma as it gets.

        Not to suggest that is all there is to life, and certainly there is
        much more to the fellow. That was simply my first thought or two on
        the subject.

        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "gaelman58"

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
          Tich Nhat Hanh is actually right up 'Rudolf Steiner's
          alley so to speak. Only cat I ever heard call Christ
          and the Buddha brothers. He has a few amazing books
          that I've read and I really appreciate his thoughts.
          He actually is on the list of those I want to
          participate in my revolution. As soon as I get the
          prelims down I'm going to contact him.

          I will give a few books to read if anyone is
          interested.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
            Oh, okay, we're talking to another atheist buddhist
            here or something along those lines that live with
            just 'do the right thing' to hell with religion or
            spirit'. Good, got it. And I'm starting to smell
            someone familiar here. And that's all good.

            Whew,
            Dottie

            > First and foremost, I would say he appears to live
            > entirely in the
            > moment – and there is no room in the moment for
            > ideological garbage.
            > Second and entirely related: after reading his
            > books, can you define
            > his religion? The ideals of being aware in life and
            > making peace are
            > about as far from fundamentalism and dogma as it
            > gets.
            >
            > Not to suggest that is all there is to life, and
            > certainly there is
            > much more to the fellow. That was simply my first
            > thought or two on
            > the subject.
            >
            > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
            > "gaelman58"
            > <gaelman58@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > B, I'm still back a few threads thinking about
            > experience and
            > > knowledge...and the ideological garbage that
            > infects this list and
            > > others...which is not to be confused with well
            > written
            > satire...I've
            > > read the man you speak of.
            > >
            > > What is it that you think this man has experienced
            > and knows that
            > > makes him different than the rest of
            > us?...regards, McCann

          • gaelman58
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
              B: That "living in the moment" you refer to...that's the outcome of
              his zen practice, yes?...the ideological "thoughting" we do occurs in
              a state even lower than ordinary consciousness...I think various zen
              masters refer to it as "makyo"...one said, "Broadly speaking, the
              entire life of the ordinary man is nothing but a 'makyo' "...maybe,
              but probably not when he's in pain...regards

              --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "baymace" <baymace@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
                Yes (or so I assume) to your question. The thing is we do not have
                to imagine spiritual ideas and ideals such as experiential wisdom or
                living in the moment, as particular to one path or another. Goethe's
                observational exercises are an example of living in the moment.
                Someone here in another post spoke of the path of the development of
                the I – another name for the experiential wisdom path.

                Similarly, Jean-Marc Nguyen recently commented in a post to
                you: "Are you aware that Rudolf Steiner declared over and over again
                that all the results of his spiritual research were *intelligible*
                to anyone who had the necessary *will*?" I would suggest that Rudolf
                Steiner's assertion here is simply another example of what can and
                no doubt does come about when one is striving to live fully in the
                present. Jean-Marc Nguyen and other Anthroposophists would perhaps
                speak of it as strengthening the will. I would call it willing one's
                self to be present in life at all times and in all life
                circumstances.

                Different by the way than discussions as to what it is each of us
                experiences on such a path. I do not for example believe that
                everyone would necessarily experience what Rudolf Steiner
                experienced. His spiritual research and his spiritual experiences
                are after all, his. As the saying goes, it is the journey that is of
                importance here, and not the particular and specific destinations.