Reading/experience

  • gaelman58
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2007
      Baymace wrote with respect to the subject line:

      I would agree with that to a point. Reading can awaken ideas within
      us. In the end though, another individual's ideas and experiences are
      no substitute for our own experiential wisdom of the practical and
      meditative variety.

      I don't understand what you are suggesting with your last point. When
      I read a book, I look for ideas I can connect with and that confirm
      my
      own discoveries and experiences. Ideas that `screw up one's
      interpretation of things' sound to me like ideas that don't hold much
      relevance for the particular reader.

      McCann responds with respect to para 1: Well, if I were reading a
      book on the origins of the universe I don't see how my experience,
      practical or meditative, would enter into it.

      You wrote, "When I read a book, I look for ideas I can connect with
      and that confirm my own discoveries and experience." I can agree
      with that if, say, the book has to do with natural science. But if
      the book is written out of an ideological or "spiritual" context the
      matter strikes me as more complex...I suggest that "confirmation"
      can often have nothing to do with experience...e.g. a young
      intellectual reads Das Kapital and becomes a Marxist, a person
      introduced to the Bible becomes a fundamentalist, an internet fan
      becomes a conspiracy buff and so on...regards, McCann