Re: Ulster community which truly loves its neighbour

  • kmlightseeker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2007
      Thanks for posting the Camphill article, Serena.

      Originally I'm from North Ards, and it's nice to hear of something
      positive and interesting spiritual-wise occurring there. The druidic
      culture that no doubt once had a presence in the region is thus in
      same way honoured by Camphill.

      Also, I saw this recently in my researches:

      "Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:19:46 EDT
      From: SerenaBlaue aol.com
      Subject: Steiner students "set good example"

      Belfast Telegraph Home ) News

      http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=638303

      Parents and pupils launch their annual 'clean coast' drive

      By Gary Grattan

      A LOCAL ferry company has teamed up to support the Rudolph Steiner
      School's
      annual "Clean Coast Campaign".
      The school, in Holywood, Co Down, is a registered charity providing
      religiously and culturally integrated education for 4-17 year olds.
      The central idea of the campaign - which is being backed by Norse
      Merchant
      Ferries - is that both pupils and parents pick up the rubbish from the
      North
      Down coast.
      Cleaning the coast is an integral part of the Steiner school's
      commitment to
      making environmental awareness and respect for the planet a central
      aspect of
      education.
      Last year the school cleaned from Helen's Bay to Marino and managed to
      pick
      up over 80 bags of rubbish.
      Cleaning the beaches is not just a one-off annual fundraising event,
      but an
      extension of the school's commitment to environmental awareness and
      integrating
      'abstract' learning with hands-on experience.
      Diane Poole, sales and marketing director at Norse Merchant Ferries,
      said:
      "We all have a responsibility to help and protect the environment and
      we are
      delighted to support the children from Rudolf Steiner School, as they
      set such a
      good example for us all."
      Dr John Barry, Northern Ireland Green Party co-leader, is an enthusiastic
      supporter of the 'Clean Coast Campaign'. He said: "My daughter goes to
      the school
      and together with other parents and teachers, I will be out cleaning the
      beaches.
      "The number one culprit in coastal rubbish is the plastic bottle,
      followed
      closely by all manner of other plastic items, such as bags and cups.
      "In many ways it is a sad reflection of the environmentally insensitive
      behaviour of some people, that we need campaigns such as this.""

      This is a very practical and relevant activity, and a good idea by all
      accounts for Waldorf to get involved in (In Australia we have a
      national "Clean Up Australia Day" which aims to do similar
      environmental work via community involvement). And another a good
      thing for Ulster, no doubt. :)

      Regards,

      Keith

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, SerenaBlaue@... wrote:

      > _www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk_ (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk)

      > --
      > Ulster community which truly loves its neighbour
      >
      > [Published: Monday 4, June 2007 - 11:46]
      >
      > The sign is just outside Holywood, on the left on the road to
      Bangor: 'The
      > Camphill Community, Glencraig'.
      >
      > I had passed it hundreds of times, but never really thought too much
      about
      > the place or what happened there. So it was with some interest that
      I drove
      > down the winding driveway for the first time to find Kasper Hauser
      Hall.

      > The harpist we were going to film that day said she practised there.
      It was
      > quiet and ideal for recording some music. The hall was very large
      and made of
      > wood, which was unusual for Northern Ireland, and who was Kasper
      Hauser? It
      > was all very interesting.
      >
      > So it was by accident that I discovered the Camphill Community at
      Glencraig
      > and found out that nearly 200 people live there on about 100 acres.
      They have
      > a school and a farm, grow vegetables organically and are more than
      60% self
      > sufficient.
      >
      > Glencraig had been set up in 1954 as a place where children with
      special
      > needs could be educated and looked after. Today, it is a community
      that has
      > grown to include all ages.
      >
      > It was only later that I learned that the first Camphill Community
      had been
      > set up in Aberdeen just before the last war by a group of Jewish
      refugees from
      > Austria who had fled from Hitler and become Christian.
      >
      > I later discovered that Glencraig is a place where some very
      precious words
      > are never preached, but practised every day: 'Love thy neighbour as
      thyself'.

      > And it was only later that I got the opportunity to make a film about
      > Glencraig, a film that might also prompt us to look at the way we
      live our lives.

      > And that was how, in spring 2006, I came to be walking around
      vegetable
      > plots full of peas and beans, through greenhouses smelling of tomato
      plants, into
      > a school room full of children colouring pictures and strolling into a
      > pottery and a weaver and a woodwork room.
      >
      > And how I came to be hearing lyre music floating out of a window and
      seeing
      > cows being herded back for milking and listening to a beautiful
      voice singing.
      > She was Emelia and was blind, but had almost perfect pitch. And I
      met Frank
      > who was the oldest 'villager' and had been there for more than 50
      years.

      > It is a privilege to make a film. People allow you into their lives.
      They
      > trust you. A trust you must repay. So you start as you mean to go
      on. You are
      > non-judgemental, you keep an open mind and an open heart, you keep
      your eyes
      > open, and listen carefully and gradually build up a sense of place
      and of the
      > truths that lie at the centre of things.
      >
      > The most obvious truth at Glencraig was that here was a community
      living by
      > values that were so different from those of a lot of people
      elsewhere in
      > Northern Ireland.
      >
      > "We are not here to make a profit," said Tony. "Work is not about
      making
      > money. It is about everyone being active and having a role and
      contributing to
      > the life of the community. Everyone contributes according to ability."
      >
      > "If someone is autistic and can only push a wheelbarrow that's ok,"
      said
      > Paul. "We need someone to push a wheelbarrow. Someone else can pick
      the peas.
      > Someone else can pack and process them."
      >
      > "There is a Christian ethos running through everything at
      Glencraig," said
      > John. "I'm not that religiously minded, but I value the fact that we
      have this
      > inner, religious heart to the place."
      >
      > The whole world of Glencraig was surprising and fascinating. Work
      was not
      > about the self. It was about the other. It was about contributing to
      the
      > community. People did not get paid for their work. There were a lot
      of young people
      > from Europe on a 'gap year' making a very valuable contribution and
      working
      > alongside more senior people.
      >
      > There was no obvious hierarchy. The prevailing ethos was not one
      that is
      > often found in the outside world.
      >
      > It was strange, but then people living in a kibbutz or a monastery
      or the
      > Amish in Pennsylvania would not have a problem with it. It's just
      that most
      > people don't live that way. The family is the key unit - not a
      community of
      > nearly 200 people. And we tend to consume and possess goods rather
      than share
      > them.
      >
      > The people who worked in the laundry were eating the vegetables that
      other
      > people had grown and everyone was drinking the apple juice that
      Darragh and
      > Keith had helped to make. Nobody owned anything apart from personal
      possessions.
      > That's the truth of sharing a life together in a community like
      Glencraig.

      _http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/features/daily-features/article2612444.ece_