Summer Troll School, Class II

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      First, let me apologize for the severely mangled and truncated
      emails that arrive in the inboxes of 'individual emails' surscribers
      when posting from the web in Rich-Text Editor; they have to be read
      on the web. So this time, I'm doing plain text to avoid this
      particular Yahoo-bug, and I'm posting from Warsaw, Poland.

      UNCLE TAZ
      CYBERTROLL
      GAZETTE

      Official Press Release Part 5

      Now, there are trolls and there are cybertrolls, and some of us are
      both:

      http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/dealingwithtrolls.html

      In our experience with online communities, there are four types of
      trolls...

      1) Mischievous: Such trolls have a humorous intent. Often, they are
      a "regular" who has temporarily adopted a new identity in order to
      play a good-natured prank. They are not abusive to members and
      rarely create trouble within a community. Generally there is no harm
      in responding to them. Some members may find mischievous trolls to
      be annoying, particularly if their presence leads to lengthy threads
      that distract the community from its true intent; other members
      inevitably find that the troll's humor and light-hearted antics
      provide the community with an opportunity to laugh together, thereby
      enhancing and strengthening community bonds.

      2) Mindless: Mindless trolls have a tendency to post lengthy stories
      of questionable belief thus promoting good facial tone in members
      due to excessive eye-rolling. They are generally harmless. On rare
      occasion, the ficticious posts of a mindless troll may lead to
      insightful debate and discussion. Aside from encouraging them, there
      is generally no harm in responding.

      3) Malicious: A malicious troll arrives with the intent of being
      blatantly abusive to the group and/or specific individuals within
      the group. One of their characteristics is that within a very short
      time of gaining access they begin targeting and harassing members
      using both low-end and high-end tactics. In some cases, the troll
      has a prior history with the group or someone within the group. In
      other scenarios, the troll is simply looking for a fresh meat market.

      4.) Destructive: Around 1999 a new form of troll began to appear on
      the net in mail groups and online communities. The primary purpose
      of this type of troll is to completely destroy the group it has
      infiltrated. Destructive trolls may work on their own, or possibly
      in teams or gangs.

      Trolls have two ways of gaining access to a community: from the
      outside or from the inside. Outside trolls are newbies or visitors
      who are new to the community, or only sporadic visitors and guests.
      They are less likely to target specific members and will be content
      with "hooking" anyone. Inside trolls are comprised of mischevious,
      bored, disgruntled, angry, scapegoated or wounded regulars who may
      have turned to trolling as a result of actions that occurred within
      the community. They frequently have a bone to pick with a specific
      member or a select group of members.

      Unmoderated or poorly moderated environments are not only more
      susceptible to malicious or damaging trolls, they are also more
      likely to create the conditions that invite them. This is because
      the members themselves have very little in the way of actual power.
      With few other options at their disposal they will often resort to
      intimidation tactics and personal attack with the hope of verbally
      overpowering the offender. If the offender is a true troll, this
      will only reinforce the troll's sense of purpose, inflames his/her
      ire, and let him or her know who the willing targets are. Informal
      community leaders, those who are empathic to others or those
      sensitive to the slights of injustice are more likely to step
      forward in cases of troll attack and thus, become their target.

      Our own trolls belong to category 1 and 2, not 3 and 4, although Di
      & Pete & other hole dwellers including Uncle Oz, think we're out to
      discredit and destroy them. They think so because the very purpose
      of their organization & group is to discredit and destroy everyone
      and everything anthroposophical, so they project their own aims and
      purposes and intentions on harmless trolls, gnomes, undines, and
      fairies. (We also know that they have a strong aversion to angels.)

      Anyway, these hole dwellers have recently been discussing how to get
      all anthro-trolls, including Yours Truly who is perceived to be the
      Troll King in the Dovregubben Hall in the mountain (read Henrik
      Ibsen's Peer Gynt for details), blocked, banned, or suspended from
      Yahoo, which would include, of course, Anthroposophy Tomorrow. And
      who knows who else among my fellow AT subscribers might be targeted
      by such a purge.

      A Yahoo ID may belong to anybody or to manybody, but an IP may
      identify anybody's exact physical location, including apartment
      number. So here's some useful IP info:

      The IP assigned to a cable- or DSL modem is given for somewhere
      between 24 hours and 30 days (with most being for 1-4 days). Half
      way through the period, the modem asks for a renewal. If a renewal
      is granted, you keep the same IP. So if you keep your DSL or cable
      modem on for a year, you will most likely have the same IP the whole
      time. Likewise if you turn it off and back on again inside the IP
      lease period, you will get the same IP you had when you turned it
      off. It is only when you turn off the cable modem for longer than
      the IP lease that the IP expires and you get a new one when you turn
      it on again. 24 hours should be enough most of the time, but it
      could take longer.

      IPs are assigned in blocks, usually by region. So simply getting a
      new address, while removing the certainty, won't always hide you.
      Your new address will come from the same block, and anyone can look
      up IP addresses and see down to the city neighborhood to where they
      are assigned. So the hole dwellers will still know it's you, but if
      you're not trolling with your new IP, nobody can suspend or ban that
      address, because they can't ban an entire neighborhood or a whole
      town. That would be like the US or Israeli military blasting an
      entire refugee camp to get at one terrorist, and we all know how
      outrageous that is. I don't think Yahoo behaves like Pentagon or the
      Israeli military command.

      Did I say something critical of Israel's politics? I guess that
      makes me an anti-Semite. If some Mossad folks would have said so,
      you can bet your bottom dollar that Di & PS will say so.

      Cheers,