Re: an ode to Oscar

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      Mike H wrote:

      > elfuncle wrote:
      > >
      > > Was Oscar a dog that died, or was he a fish that was eaten by
      your
      > > dog?
      >
      > Fish. Oscars are popular south american fish that quickly out grow
      > smaller aquariums.

      This reminds me of a story told by my mom's aunt when I was a kid,
      and she was really the type for it -- There was this old widowed all
      alone in her house, and the only companion she had was a little
      goldfish swimming around in a little waterbowl.

      And then her little fish passed away, and she had nobody. So some of
      her neighbors and friends, all old ladies like herself, dropped by
      to comfort her and see how she was holding up.

      And then one of her visitors broke the ice:

      "How are you coping with the loss of (the goldfish's name) ?

      "Well, you know," she sighed, "it's been a little quiet around
      here without him."