Re: Wake up, gotta tell you something....

  • write3chairs
    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 2007
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Tarjei Straume wrote:

      > It wasn't an American song about the KKK,
      > it was a Norwegian song about Count Dracula!

      God, ... this on the heels of that hilarious
      bit on Hunter Thompson and Tim Leary, almost
      makes me want to juggle cats or something. ;)

      Thanks for the laughter,
      Jennifer
    • Frank Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2007
        --- write3chairs wrote:

        > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com,
        > Tarjei Straume wrote:
        >
        > > It wasn't an American song about the KKK,
        > > it was a Norwegian song about Count Dracula!
        >
        > God, ... this on the heels of that hilarious
        > bit on Hunter Thompson and Tim Leary, almost
        > makes me want to juggle cats or something. ;)
        >
        > Thanks for the laughter,
        > Jennifer

        That's probably the first time the KKK and Dracula
        have been called funny. Anyway, is it common for
        Norwegian songs to be in English, Tarjei?

        Frank

        Frank Thomas Smith
        http://SouthernCrossReview.org

      • laquerencia33@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2007
          Frank wrote:
          > That's probably the first time the KKK and Dracula
          > have been called funny.

          Deborah responds:
          Hi Frank, Tarjei...I've got to tell you all a story. I live in an area of
          the American south where the KKK used to be active. As recently as the mid
          90s a few of them decided to crawl out of their holes to address the
          public on the town square - as is their right, freedom of speech you
          know. Well the progressive element in this small university town decided,
          rather than engaging in the usual angry counter-demonstration, to dress up
          as Ku Klux Klowns and have some fun withy them. Of course the local news
          media loved it and it all worked like a charm - the Klan has never dared
          to show itself here since.

          But there's another interesting reason the old Klan is no longer welcome -
          oddly enough its because the very white power structure that once birthed
          and fuelled it now has economic interests that clash with it's
          expression. The big factory animal farming companies have been recruiting
          thousands of Mexican workers into this area over the past 2 decades to do
          'jobs that Americans don't want to do' (meaning soul-deadening
          slaughterhouse work at substandard wages of course) - and they don't want
          anything to interfere with immigration. So the big companies like Tyson
          Foods have rather quietly made it very uncomfortable for the Klan to
          operate.

          Now certainly there are some hold-outs but they sure don't say much in
          public anymore. Except about gay people - its very fashionable among the
          'christian' right to hate gays and lesbians. Lordy-have-mercy, you even
          hear it preached in the African-American churches. But just wait until
          the corporate powers start shoving down our throats the very real idea of
          one united North American country that's to include Mexico, US and
          Canada. Bush has already been speaking publicly about it and it heralds
          another very serious assault, perhaps the final one, on the middle
          classes. I can't help but think we'll probably see a return of racially
          based violence as white workers (in trucking and construction for
          instance) are displaced en mass by low wage foreign workers. In the
          not-so-old days the unions stepped in to organize people of all races and
          educate about the real focus of exploitative power. But now the big
          corporate powers (Wal-mart especially) are so consolidated and aligned
          against unions that I worry about what we might see resurface in this
          regard.

          Well, just thought I'd update you on one aspect of the 'new south'. Ya'll
          have a great weekend now.

          Deborah
          who wonders why we have so many jobs these days that Americans don't want
          to do...
        • Larry
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2007
            Hey Tarjei, turns out I was watching Nosferatu (the Murnau one) just
            as you were seeking to infest our dreamlives with Norwegian pop music.
            Synchronistic enough for me. And I heard Werner Herzog thought that
            movie foreshadowed the Nazi pop craze, but if vampires aren't real it
            would just seem to be a symbolic thing. So I looked up "vampires" on
            the Steiner archive, didn't see anything. I suppose asuras could
            qualify, which stumbles right into something: Once those suckers make
            off with pieces of our egos, how do we get them back? Are there any
            secret anthro techniques for this? - Larry

            > The Dracula movies were fascinating suspense dramas in the beginning,
            > with Christopher Lee and all that in the old black-and-white formats,
            > but later on Hollywood went wild on the subject and made it
            > ridiculous and laughable. Now there's dozens of silly vampire
            > TV-series for adolescents, along with werewolves and aliens and
            > mutants and freaks. I guess that's why Jennifer thought my error
            > about the song in question was funny.
            >
            > But I didn't intend this note of mine to be humorous. The racism in
            > the Deep South at that time, the gruesome murders, the code of
            > silence, oath-swearing, secrecy, and the eerie resemblance of the KKK
            > to Heinrich Himmler's SS, not just the racism, but the revival of
            > medieval knighthood and holy orders and so on -- all this contributed
            > to my association with the song "Graveyard Paradise". So when I
            > discover today that it was about a Dracula movie, this is perhaps
            > comical, but I'm wondering if others who heard that song at the time
            > made the same association, or if it was just me.

          • Tarjei Straume
            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2007
              Larry wrote:

              Hey Tarjei, turns out I was watching Nosferatu (the Murnau one) just as you were seeking to infest our dreamlives with Norwegian pop music. Synchronistic enough for me. And I heard Werner Herzog thought that movie foreshadowed the Nazi pop craze, but if vampires aren't real it would just seem to be a symbolic thing. So I looked up "vampires" on the Steiner archive, didn't see anything.

              I've read something about vampirism in the genuine occult sense somewhere -- I don't recall whether it was Steiner or someone else -- but as I understand it, there are vampires on the other side of the threshold with very sinister black magic track records who manage to avoid, or rather postpone, kamaloka (purgatory) by leeching off the energies of human beings. So this is the real source of the legend of vampires, practitioners of the black arts who maintain their immortality, youth, and beauty by drinking the blood of the young and innocent, especially virgins. One such story that was also made into a movie was about some witchy queen who kept up her youth and beauty by bathing in virgin blood, and here we have the concept of black magic sacrifices of young children and virgins and so on.

              These images are then symbolic of real left-handed occult techniques practiced by such magicians between death and rebirth in order to skip kamaloka, purification, and ennoblement in devachan through the Zodiac and so on, because they have such a heavy price to pay in that regard, which they thus postpone.

              I don't know if the Irish author Bram Stoker, who wrote the novel Dracula in 1897, was a student of occultism proper, but he may have been influenced by it nevertheless -- perhaps subconsciously. But he did read a lot of very interesting things; his research was extensive.

              The background for Stoker's novel is interesting. According to Wikipedia:
              "The Dead Un-Dead was one of Stoker's original titles for Dracula, and up until a few weeks before publication, the manuscript was titled simply The Un-Dead. The name of Stoker's count was originally going to be Count Vampyre, but while doing research, Stoker ran across an intriguing word in the Romanian language: "Dracul", meaning "Devil". There was also a historic figure known as Vlad the Impaler, but whether Stoker based his character on him remains debated and is now considered unlikely."
              From the same source, the image of a vampire portrayed as an aristocratic man, like the character of Dracula, was created by John Polidori in The Vampyre (1819), so this legend that became a novel and then a series of black-and-white movies with Christopher Lee, is an idea that has been evolving through various writers of phantom fiction.

              I suppose asuras could qualify, which stumbles right into something: Once those suckers make off with pieces of our egos, how do we get them back? Are there any secret anthro techniques for this?

              I wouldn't profess to know much about the asuras, because Steiner said very little about them, and he indicated that he wasn't permitted to speak of them, sometimes stopping himself in mid-sentence. He did say what you mention here, that they take a chunk off people's "I" that they never get back, but most of what I've written here myself about the asuras has been stuff I've made up to tease Joel after he got so freaked out when I mentioned the asuras and questioned my "authority" to do so.

              So as far as I'm concerned, there are asuras in the Abyss, in the Hole, the Unthinkable Facility, the Unplumbable Toilet where the Constipated Ones live (the WC'ers, Waldorf Critics) and those anthros who hang out with them there. Those asuras are physically embodied as rats and come out in the pitch dark of night when there is no moon, especially during violent thunderstorms, and then they bite the toilet visitors in the butt, and because many of them keep their brains between their buttocks, those asuric rats run off with a piece of their egos. One of the symptoms of having been bitten in this way is obsessive, compulsive, irrational, fanatical, and repetitive behavior.

              I don't know if the Hole has vampires, but if you don't want to expose yourself to asuras, just don't go there.

              Cheers,

              Tarjei
            • kmlightseeker
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19, 2007
                <straume@...> wrote:

                <snip>

                > I wouldn't profess to know much about the asuras, because Steiner
                > said very little about them, and he indicated that he wasn't
                > permitted to speak of them, sometimes stopping himself in
                > mid-sentence. He did say what you mention here, that they take a
                > chunk off people's "I" that they never get back, but most of what
                > I've written here myself about the asuras has been stuff I've made up
                > to tease Joel after he got so freaked out when I mentioned the asuras
                > and questioned my "authority" to do so.
                >
                > So as far as I'm concerned, there are asuras in the Abyss, in the
                > Hole, the Unthinkable Facility, the Unplumbable Toilet where the
                > Constipated Ones live (the WC'ers, Waldorf Critics) and those anthros
                > who hang out with them there. Those asuras are physically embodied as
                > rats and come out in the pitch dark of night when there is no moon,
                > especially during violent thunderstorms, and then they bite the
                > toilet visitors in the butt, and because many of them keep their
                > brains between their buttocks, those asuric rats run off with a piece
                > of their egos.

                Not unless kitty gets to them first:

                http://bkr.smugmug.com/photos/108339884-S.jpg

                :)

                One of the symptoms of having been bitten in this way
                > is obsessive, compulsive, irrational, fanatical, and repetitive
                behavior.

                http://www.offthemarkcartoons.com/cartoons/1998-07-19.gif

                :)))

                > I don't know if the Hole has vampires, but if you don't want to
                > expose yourself to asuras, just don't go there.

                Bram Stoker's Dracula novel was significant - Irish people know about
                the "blood suckers". :( :)

                > Cheers,
                >
                > Tarjei

                Regards,

                Keith
              • Frank Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , May 19, 2007
                  laquerencia33@... wrote:
                  But just wait until
                  the corporate powers start shoving down our throats the very real idea of
                  one united North American country that's to include Mexico, US and
                  Canada. Bush has already been speaking publicly about it and it heralds
                  another very serious assault, perhaps the final one, on the middle
                  classes.

                  Never heard that one, Deborah, but I have heard the reverse. Jo Ann told me (don't know if on a list or privately) that there's a movement for Michigan to join Canada. In any case, if true, a united North America is a pipe dream, cause Canadians at least ain't that dumb.

                  D: who wonders why we have so many jobs these days that Americans don't want
                  to do...

                  F: This is an old story, not only in the U.S. but the world over; there's always someone poorer than you; even Argentina has a lot of illegal Bolivians to do the dirty work.

                  Frank

                  Frank Thomas Smith
                  http://SouthernCrossReview.org

                  Looking for earth-friendly autos?

                • write3chairs
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 20, 2007
                    --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Tarjei Straume wrote:

                    > The Dracula movies were fascinating suspense dramas in
                    > the beginning, with Christopher Lee and all that in the
                    > old black-and-white formats, but later on Hollywood went
                    > wild on the subject and made it ridiculous and laughable.
                    > Now there's dozens of silly vampire TV-series for adolescents,
                    > along with werewolves and aliens and mutants and freaks.
                    > I guess that's why Jennifer thought my error about the
                    > song in question was funny.

                    Actually, Tarjei, I found your revelation funny in a fascinating
                    and surprising sort of way, that something had played out for
                    40 years in your head and then was revealed to be something
                    different yet oddly related, and - of course - still relevant.

                    > But I didn't intend this note of mine to be humorous.
                    > The racism in the Deep South at that time, the gruesome
                    > murders, the code of silence, oath-swearing, secrecy,
                    > and the eerie resemblance of the KKK to Heinrich Himmler's
                    > SS, not just the racism, but the revival of medieval
                    > knighthood and holy orders and so on -- all this contributed
                    > to my association with the song "Graveyard Paradise".
                    > So when I discover today that it was about a Dracula movie,
                    > this is perhaps comical, but I'm wondering if others who
                    > heard that song at the time made the same association,
                    > or if it was just me.
                    >
                    > If I ever get around to it, I may ask the artist himself.
                    > His song of 40 years ago is still considered the best song
                    > ever produced from that corner of Norway (the north),
                    > according to a local newpaper of theirs,
                    > <http://www.nordlys.no/kultur/album/article1132386.ece>
                    > Nordlys (a 2004 article).

                    The article's in Norwegian, so I can't comment! Yet I can't
                    help but think of the old Billie Holliday song, "Strange
                    Fruit." http://youtube.com/watch?v=9JWMMwEx9tM

                    Jennifer

                    > Tarjei
                  • Tarjei Straume
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 25, 2007
                      Yes, gotta wake you up to tell you something. Something that's been playing with my head for 40 years and now, it turns out, I was fooled. Kinda silly really. Very silly. It's about a song, a tune, a neat melody with a fascinating set of lyrcics. Occult like hell. Very occult indeed. Very murderous and very evil too. I did an article about Nazi occultism a decade ago, so I'm fascinated by that sort of thing. But in the case at hand, something or other played tricks with my head.

                      You see, there was a song that was out 40 years ago. I never had a copy of it, I just heard it on the radio and heard someone else sing it once. And I always, always, thought it was a song about the Ku Klux Klan in Mississippi written and performed by an American artist. As you know, the KKK terror regime was very powerful and active 40 to 45 years ago, in the early to mid-sixties. And this song kept ringing in my ears all these years, and I could never find it. And since the internet came along, I couldn't find it online either.

                      I don't mean to make a short story long and keep you in suspense, but the revelation, which I'll get to, was kind of mindboggling.

                      The lyrics I remembered were not accurate, because the singer wasn't 100% articulate (but neither was Bob Dylan for that matter). But I remembered it thus:

                      The pale-white colored gentlemen, they're coming side by side
                      The holy court of justice, to a meeting in the night
                      They do not talk, they do not smile, they're thinking,  that's enough
                      They will not make their judgement 'till the moonlight's right above.
                      And of a thousand soldier boys
                      At last they've made their choice
                      Another victim soon arrives at Graveyard Paradise

                      And there's a smiling little girl, whose dinner was a snail
                      It's hard for her to walk, she's got her brother in a pail
                      Her father's lying in the mud, her mother's been murdered too
                      Her bloody eyes can't even see, and she don't know what to do
                      But the pale-white-colored guys
                      Those desperate vampires
                      They're watching her with bloodshot eyes from Graveyard Paradise

                      Yes, everything is black and cold in Graveyard Paradise
                      And when somebody is talking there, is it just to tell you lies
                      Those pale-white colored gentlemen, yes I saw them as they stood
                      Outside the Graveyard gates, they would be laughing if they could
                      And when somebody dies
                      When the moon rise in the skies
                      They're watching you with bloodshot eyes from Graveyard Paradise

                      Well, it sure sounded to me like the Mississippi KKK with an occult twist with that moon having to be in the right position and all, and so I thought for 40 years, until an hour ago. And guess what I found out. It wasn't an American song about the KKK, it was a Norwegian song about Count Dracula! Holy Macro! Yes, 18 year old Asbjørn Krogtoft in Bodø, in the north of Norway (about as far from Mississippi as you can get), had been to a Dracula movie starring Christopher Lee, and that inspired him to write that song. The song was high on the charts in Norway, but probably didn't make it internationally, which is why it was hard to track down.

                      And the most important inaccuracy in my perception of the words was that he didn't sing "pale-white colored gentlemen," but "pale white-collared gentlemen," so there was no reference to complexion, skin color, race, like I thought, but something priestly or whatever Christopher Lee was wearing when doing his love-bites in them vampire flicks.

                      Here's the actual lyrics you can hear the tune, which is quite catchy, with the first verse as the background music on this page:

                      Graveyard Paradise

                       Asbjørn Krogtoft - 1966

                      The pale white-collared gentlemen, they're coming side by side
                      The holy court of justice, to a meeting in the night
                      They do not talk they do not smile they think and that's enough
                      They will not make their judgement till the moon rises off above
                      And of a thousand soldier boys
                      At last they've made their choice
                      Another victim soon arrives at Graveyard Paradise

                      And there's a smiling little girl, whose dinner was a snail
                      It's hard for her to walk, she's got her brother in a pail
                      Her father's lying in the mud, her mother's been murdered too
                      Her bloody eyes can't even see, and she don't know what to do
                      But the pale white-collared guys
                      Those desperate vampires
                      They're watching her with bloodshot eyes from Graveyard Paradise

                      Yes, everything is black and cold in Graveyard Paradise
                      And when somebody is talking there is it just to tell you lies
                      Those pale white-collared gentlemen, yes I saw them as they stood
                      Outside the Graveyard gates, they would be laughing if they could
                      And when somebody dies
                      When the moon rise in the skies
                      They're watching you with bloodshot eyes from Graveyard Paradise

                      Well, I was thinking, there must be a connection somewhere between Count Dracula and the Grand Wizard of the KKK, between those all-white juries and "the holy court of justice" mentioned in the song, between vampires and burning crosses maybe?

                      The webpage I found  -- http://www.pubwalkers.com/126/ (turn up speaker volume) -- has a link to an extra verse that was taken out, but that has nothing to do with any of this.

                      Now you can go back to sleep. Sweet dreams,

                      Tarjei

                    • Tarjei Straume
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 26, 2007
                        Frank wrote:

                        That's probably the first time the KKK and Dracula have been called funny. Anyway, is it common for Norwegian songs to be in English, Tarjei?

                        It's very common today (after Norwegian 'Aha', Swedish 'Abba' etc. plus dozens if not hundreds of others these days), but it was relatively uncommon in the sixties, although most of the bands/groups had English names ("The Pussycats" etc.), and that's what threw me off about this thing. If you go to that webpage and listen to the first verse, you'll understand why I associated it with Bob Dylan; it's very much his type of tune. And at the time in question, Bob Dylan had addressed this sinister topic with songs like "Only A Pawn In Their Game", "Oxford Town",  etc. and the less-known "The Death Of Emmett Till".

[...]

                        If I ever get around to it, I may ask the artist himself. His song of 40 years ago is still considered the best song ever produced from that corner of Norway (the north), according to a local newpaper of theirs, Nordlys (a 2004 article).

                        Tarjei
                      • Theodor Grekenquist
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 8, 2007
                          Tarjei wrote:

                          > And the most important inaccuracy in my
                          > perception of the words was that he didn't sing
                          > "pale-white colored gentlemen," but "pale
                          > white-collared gentlemen," so there was no
                          > reference to complexion, skin color, race, like I
                          > thought, but something priestly or whatever
                          > Christopher Lee was wearing when doing his love-bites in them
                          vampire flicks.

                          Those anthro-critics who are doing this perennial Nazi-racist war
                          dance against the movement might yet insist on that complexion thing
                          if they knew what Herbert just found out.

                          You see, Tarjei, this song that you quoted captured my curiosity and
                          imagination, and you didn't follow up what you promised, namely to
                          contact the songwriter and ask him. So I had a long talk with
                          Herbert, who is usually very good at digging things up, although
                          he's not using the internet, perhaps because he tends to be
                          paranoid. Herbert didn't succeed in contacting Asbjørn Krogtoft in
                          Bodø, Norway, directly, but he talked to one of his buddies, and
                          this buddy told Herbert that he and Asbjørn had been classmates at a
                          Waldorf school there up north in the late fifties and early sixties,
                          and when Asbjørn had graduated from high school, he immediately
                          wrote and recorded "Graveyard Paradise" to describe how he felt
                          about his teachers and the Waldorf experience itself. He told the
                          press that it was inspired by a Christopher Lee movie about Count
                          Dracula, but that was just a cover story to keep vindictive and
                          bloodthirsty anthros and Waldorf teachers off his back, because
                          otherwise he would have had to flee the country.

                          Are you sure this Asbjørn Krogtoft isn't signed up in the hole under
                          some pseudonym? I had a long talk with Herbert about that too, and
                          he thinks that Asbjørn is Uncle Oz. Diana quoted an old post by
                          Uncle Oz a few days ago, where he said:

                          "If you study Steiner enough to see where his lessons slowly lead,
                          you will understand that he is not teaching a science or a
                          philosophy, but is teaching a polytheistic pagan religion that is in
                          many ways congruent to satansim (which is inherently destructive).
                          Anthroposophy's ultimate goal is to destroy this planet and everyone
                          on it to free their spirits to live on Jupiter."

                          Herbert belives in that outlandish story about the Waldorf Basement
                          Children, and he won't budge on that issue. And the thing is that
                          his recent talk with Krogtoft's schoolmate has strengthened his
                          theory, in his own eyes. He says that Krogtoft can't just have been
                          a Waldorf student; he must have been a Basement Child, and his
                          song, "Graveyard Paradise", makes this crystal clear. He also thinks
                          Uncle Oz is a Basement Child and that Krogtoft and Uncle Oz are
                          probably identical.

                          Sincerely,

                          Theodor