Technizismen

  • gaelman58
    Message 1 of 16 , May 15, 2007
      Jean-Marc asked:

      McCann, do you really think that it is merely with materialistic
      science
      and technology, with transistors, cell phones, particle
      accelerators, the
      Internet, and whatnot--- that the Anglo-American world will manage to
      turn the entire surface of our Earth into a network...*of egoistic
      evil*???

      Well, Jean-Marc, it doesn't seem to me that the exploitation of one
      human group by another is particular to the Anglo-
      Americans...history is history...one thing that has changed,
      however, is the scale of that exploitation...the British Empire
      dwarfed previous empires and the current American global hegemomy
      (the good and the bad of it) is without precedent.
      What makes this all possible is technology and the application
      thereof...everything from smart bombs to coca cola.
      I had this in mind as I read your post and had also recently read
      one of Steiner's lectures from "Polarities in the Evolution of
      Mankind" 14 Nov 1920, where according to a footnote he used an
      invented word "Technizismen" (technicisms) for 'products of
      technology'.

      Now, it seems to me that there is a direct inverse relationship
      between technology and the necessity for people to depend upon each
      other...simply put, technology destroys culture...the more machines
      we have the less we need each other...why listen to Grandpa's
      recitation of the old days when it's easier and more "entertaining"
      to slip in a CD of U2 in Concert?

      I can think of no more powerful influence on people today than that
      of technology...and what is today's high-tech is tomorrow's flint
      arrow head...regards, McCann
    • Jean-Marc Nguyen
      Message 2 of 16 , May 22, 2007
        McCann, you wrote:

        I had this in mind as I read your post and had also recently read
        one of Steiner's lectures from "Polarities in the Evolution of
        Mankind" 14 Nov 1920, where according to a footnote he used an
        invented word "Technizismen" (technicisms) for 'products of
        technology'.

        Now, it seems to me that there is a direct inverse relationship
        between technology and the necessity for people to depend upon each
        other...simply put, technology destroys culture...the more machines
        we have the less we need each other...why listen to Grandpa's
        recitation of the old days when it's easier and more "entertaining"
        to slip in a CD of U2 in Concert?

        I can think of no more powerful influence on people today than that
        of technology.. .and what is today's high-tech is tomorrow's flint
        arrow head...

        Well, McCann, you've had the chance to read the lecture [GA 197,
        unfortunately not available at the Rudolf Steiner Archive] that provides you
        with a clue as to *why* the influence of technology is so powerful. Right?

        What are *Technizismen*?
        They are crystallized Ahrimanic intelligence.
        According to Steiner, the demonic entities "embodied in the Technizismen"
        exert their influence on the *will* of human beings; of course, this means that
        the true origin of the detrimental effect our technological environment has on
        the soul / spiritual nature of Man --- remains entirely subconscious!

        And Steiner elaborates: this very powerful occult influence accounts for the
        present-day insecure, melancholic, hypochondriacal mood...
        A worldwide epidemic of subconscious demonic possession in prospect?
        Did you notice just how many times Steiner mentioned  the *Reappearance
        of Christ* in this lecture?
        What if the second coming of the great Exorcist was nipped in the bud?...

        Cheers,
        Jean-Marc

      • gaelman58
        Message 3 of 16 , May 23, 2007
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Nguyen"
          <jmnguyen@...> wrote:

          > McCann, you wrote:
          >
          > I had this in mind as I read your post and had also recently read
          > one of Steiner's lectures from "Polarities in the Evolution of
          > Mankind" 14 Nov 1920, where according to a footnote he used an
          > invented word "Technizismen" (technicisms) for 'products of
          > technology'.
          >
          > Now, it seems to me that there is a direct inverse relationship
          > between technology and the necessity for people to depend upon
          each
          > other...simply put, technology destroys culture...the more
          machines
          > we have the less we need each other...why listen to Grandpa's
          > recitation of the old days when it's easier and
          more "entertaining"
          > to slip in a CD of U2 in Concert?
          >
          > I can think of no more powerful influence on people today than
          that
          > of technology...and what is today's high-tech is tomorrow's flint
          > arrow head...

          -----------

          > Well, McCann, you've had the chance to read the lecture [GA 197,
          > unfortunately not available at the Rudolf Steiner Archive] that
          provides you
          > with a clue as to *why* the influence of technology is so
          powerful. Right?

          What I am seeing, Jean-Marc, is the tremendous efficacy of applied
          technology in the world...and that effect is exponential and
          increasing quite beyond the "braking" effect of traditional
          cultures...for folks newly arriving in the USA (for instance) that
          constitutes the great American dream as well as the great American
          nightmare.

          > What are *Technizismen*?
          > They are crystallized Ahrimanic intelligence.
          > According to Steiner, the demonic entities "embodied in the
          Technizismen"
          > exert their influence on the *will* of human beings; of course,
          this means that
          > the true origin of the detrimental effect our technological
          environment has on
          > the soul / spiritual nature of Man --- remains entirely
          subconscious!

          I would not argue with the above...since for many years I've been
          inclined to take RS at his word...that is, for those things for
          which I have some understanding. Yet, (and I think we may have
          different views here) for me much of what he had to say is more in
          the nature of a belief system than knowledge arising out of
          experience.

          > And Steiner elaborates: this very powerful occult influence
          accounts for the
          > present-day insecure, melancholic, hypochondriacal mood...
          > A worldwide epidemic of subconscious demonic possession in
          prospect?
          > Did you notice just how many times Steiner mentioned the
          *Reappearance
          > of Christ* in this lecture?
          > What if the second coming of the great Exorcist was nipped in the
          bud?...

          > Cheers,
          > Jean-Marc

          "What if the second coming of the great Exorcist was nipped in the
          bud?"...Well, that's a biggie Jean-Marc, and probably could only be
          treated by most folks here as a hyothetical...who, after all, would
          be knowledgeable enough to be definitive?...regards, McCann
        • Jean-Marc Nguyen
          Message 4 of 16 , May 24, 2007
            McCann, you wrote:

            What I am seeing, Jean-Marc, is the tremendous efficacy of applied
            technology in the world...and that effect is exponential and
            increasing quite beyond the "braking" effect of traditional
            cultures...for folks newly arriving in the USA (for instance) that
            constitutes the great American dream as well as the great American
            nightmare.

            J-M:

            Yes. I believe many people feel both the death threats and the absolute
            helplessness of the mere spectators they are in face of the death threats...
            I think this state of affairs is bound to induce the "great danger" Steiner
            mentioned in his lecture: people will lose their bearings in a world flooded
            with technology.
            Imo, Ahriman / Satan is clearly taking over the entire planet...
            The technological kingdom is the (visible) tip of the iceberg; below the
            surface (of consciousness), He's busy inoculating the social order, the
            traditional cultures, our souls - with death forces [i.e., His own nature].
            Judas [our Consciousness Soul Age] is the Scorpio apostle...

            McCann:

            I would not argue with the above...since for many years I've been
            inclined to take RS at his word...that is, for those things for
            which I have some understanding. Yet, (and I think we may have
            different views here) for me much of what he had to say is more in
            the nature of a belief system than knowledge arising out of
            experience.

            J-M:

            Yes, we do have different views here :-)
            Your own view sounds pretty weird to me...
            Could you please elaborate a little bit?

            McCann:

            "What if the second coming of the great Exorcist was nipped in the
            bud?"...Well, that's a biggie Jean-Marc, and probably could only be
            treated by most folks here as a hyothetical. ..who, after all, would
            be knowledgeable enough to be definitive?. ..

            J-M

            McCann, who's talking about being definitive?
            I'm not.
            After having alluded to a prospective epidemic of demonic possession,
            I was merely alluding to the consequences that such a possibility [clearly
            stated by Steiner...] would have.
            I believe an open-ended question is worth a lot more than feigned ignorance,
            purely implicit acquiescence, or embarrassed silence...

            Cheers,
            Jean-Marc
          • gaelman58
            Message 5 of 16 , May 25, 2007
              <jmnguyen@...> wrote:

              > McCann, you wrote:
              >
              > What I am seeing, Jean-Marc, is the tremendous efficacy of applied
              > technology in the world...and that effect is exponential and
              > increasing quite beyond the "braking" effect of traditional
              > cultures...for folks newly arriving in the USA (for instance) that
              > constitutes the great American dream as well as the great American
              > nightmare.
              >

              > J-M:
              >
              > Yes. I believe many people feel both the death threats and the absolute
              > helplessness of the mere spectators they are in face of the death
              threats...
              > I think this state of affairs is bound to induce the "great danger"
              Steiner
              > mentioned in his lecture: people will lose their bearings in a world
              flooded
              > with technology.
              > Imo, Ahriman / Satan is clearly taking over the entire planet...
              > The technological kingdom is the (visible) tip of the iceberg; below the
              > surface (of consciousness), He's busy inoculating the social order, the
              > traditional cultures, our souls - with death forces [i.e., His own
              nature].
              > Judas [our Consciousness Soul Age] is the Scorpio apostle...

              Jean-Marc: You begin the above with "I believe..." and then employ
              the "Imo". That's good enough for me. I don't have that belief but
              neither am I in any position to say it's not true. I am not
              clairvoyant with respect to the greater trends of human evolution.

              > McCann:
              >
              > I would not argue with the above...since for many years I've been
              > inclined to take RS at his word...that is, for those things for
              > which I have some understanding. Yet, (and I think we may have
              > different views here) for me much of what he had to say is more in
              > the nature of a belief system than knowledge arising out of
              > experience.
              >

              > J-M:
              >
              > Yes, we do have different views here :-)
              > Your own view sounds pretty weird to me...
              > Could you please elaborate a little bit?
              >
              > McCann:

              Jean-Marc, I rather enjoy the fact that we have different views
              here...the give-and-take of it...I've often wondered why some can get
              into a snit over something written about them by a stranger over the
              internet...you wrote: "your own view sounds pretty weird to me"...I
              don't know what you're alluding to...maybe my post "To be...or"...so I
              don't know what to elaborate about.

              > "What if the second coming of the great Exorcist was nipped in the
              > bud?"...Well, that's a biggie Jean-Marc, and probably could only be
              > treated by most folks here as a hyothetical...who, after all, would
              > be knowledgeable enough to be definitive?...
              >
              > J-M
              >
              > McCann, who's talking about being definitive?
              > I'm not.
              > After having alluded to a prospective epidemic of demonic possession,
              > I was merely alluding to the consequences that such a possibility
              [clearly
              > stated by Steiner...] would have.
              > I believe an open-ended question is worth a lot more than feigned
              ignorance,
              > purely implicit acquiescence, or embarrassed silence...
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Jean-Marc

              No argument with that last bit of yours...especially since you use the
              words, "prospective" and "possibility"...but more important for me is
              your periodic use of the "smilely face"...that connotes a guy who
              rides "light in the saddle". Consider:

              The Catholic Church (or the AS) is run by a bunch of dirt bags.
              The Catholic Church (or the AS) is run by a bunch of dirt bags :)

              There's a world of difference in the two statements...you
              agree?...regards, McCann
            • Jean-Marc Nguyen
              Message 6 of 16 , May 26, 2007
                A guy who rides "light in the saddle"?

                Sorry, McCann, my dictionaries didn't help much...
                Are you suggesting my smileys look like / act as stirrups by any chance ? :-)

                I do agree that smileys [should] modify the reader's perception of any
                given statement.
                And that explains my periodic use of them...
                Hey, McCann --- I'm a very consistent person! :-)

                I was merely alluding to the fact that you said:

                "Yet, (and I think we may have different views here) for me much of what
                he had to say is more in the nature of a belief system than knowledge arising
                out of experience."

                I was hoping you'd elaborate a little bit on just that: for me much of what

                Message 7 of 16 , May 28, 2007
                  <jmnguyen@...> wrote:

                  > A guy who rides "light in the saddle"?
                  >
                  > Sorry, McCann, my dictionaries didn't help much...
                  > Are you suggesting my smileys look like / act as stirrups by any
                  chance ? :-)

                  > I do agree that smileys [should] modify the reader's perception of
                  any
                  > given statement.
                  > And that explains my periodic use of them...
                  > Hey, McCann --- I'm a very consistent person! :-)
                  >
                  > I was merely alluding to the fact that you said:
                  >
                  > "Yet, (and I think we may have different views here) for me much
                  of what
                  > he had to say is more in the nature of a belief system than
                  knowledge arising
                  > out of experience."
                  >
                  > I was hoping you'd elaborate a little bit on just that: for me
                  much of what
                  > he had to say is more in the nature of a belief system than
                  knowledge
                  > arising out of experience.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Jean-Marc

                  A man who "rides light in the saddle" has a certain geniality of
                  mind...isn't self-important...is adaptable...and can take most ideas
                  into consideration without getting bent out of shape.

                  As to what Steiner had to say and "belief"...the connection for me
                  is his epistomological work which in my judgment :) is
                  irreffutable...given that, I'm inclined to give credence to the rest
                  of it...but, for example, I don't consider myself knowledge about
                  the spiritual evolution of mankind...I have ideas about that but not
                  the corresponding perceptions.

                  As to the current "spiritual" situation...I know of no one who has
                  insight into that...if someone were to ask me, "McCann, what is this
                  business about the reappearance of the Christ in the etheric?"...I
                  could only repeat from memory the things that I've read...that ain't
                  knowledge.

                  Having read Steiner these many years I can't bring to mind anything
                  from it that would tend to support any of the contemporary strident
                  ideologies or political mindsets...not even the generalized support
                  in this part of the world for "democracy" :)...

                  Jean-Marc, find something in the above to take issue with, pick up
                  your sword, leap lightly into the saddle...and we'll get on with
                  it...regards, McCann
                • Jean-Marc Nguyen
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 31, 2007
                    McCann, ... en garde!  :-)

                    You wrote:

                    As to what Steiner had to say and "belief"...the connection for me
                    is his epistomological work which in my judgment :) is
                    irreffutable. ..given that, I'm inclined to give credence to the rest
                    of it...but, for example, I don't consider myself knowledge about
                    the spiritual evolution of mankind...I have ideas about that but not
                    the corresponding perceptions.

                    J-M:

                    Thanks for the clarification, McCann. I'm really glad I asked --- because I
                    misunderstood your first statement completely!  :-(
                    You see, when I read "for me much of what he had to say is more in
                    the nature of a belief system than knowledge arising out of experience",
                    I thought you meant that, in your opinion, much of what Steiner had said
                    wasn't spiritual scientific knowledge... And, this view did sound pretty
                    weird to me :-)
                    This damn language barrier! Well, you know, that's the best excuse I can
                    come up with... :-)

                    McCann:

                    As to the current "spiritual" situation... I know of no one who has
                    insight into that...if someone were to ask me, "McCann, what is this
                    business about the reappearance of the Christ in the etheric?"... I
                    could only repeat from memory the things that I've read...that ain't
                    knowledge.

                    J-M:

                    McCann, your intellectual honesty is a form of clairvoyance that might
                    cause considerable envy :-)
                    What exactly do you mean by "I know of no one who has insight into
                    that..."?
                    Are you saying you've never read books, articles, anthro-list messages -
                    dealing with the reappearance of the Christ in the etheric - without being
                    utterly convinced, all things considered, that the authors were merely
                    paraphrasing Rudolf Steiner and did not have a genuine personal spiritual
                    scientific insight into the real meaning and actual situation of the Second
                    Coming?...

                    McCann:

                    Having read Steiner these many years I can't bring to mind anything
                    from it that would tend to support any of the contemporary strident
                    ideologies or political mindsets...not even the generalized support
                    in this part of the world for "democracy" :)...
                    J-M:

                    In my experience, the most important, complex and crucial issues, are
                    *taboo* --- even on anthro-lists at times :-)

                    Cheers,
                    Jean-Marc
                  • write3chairs
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 31, 2007
                      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "gaelman58" wrote:

                      > Jean-Marc, find something in the above to take issue with, pick up
                      > your sword, leap lightly into the saddle...and we'll get on with
                      > it...regards, McCann

                      And for heaven's sake, don't poke the horse with the pointy end of the
                      sword!
                    • Jean-Marc Nguyen
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 31, 2007
                        Jennifer, you wrote:

                        And for heaven's sake, don't poke the horse with the pointy end of the
                        sword!

                        J-M:

                        Jennifer, I'm strumming my guitar:
                        "Don't be cruel to a horse that's true..."

                        I'm sure Mister Ed would agree --- and croon with me :-)

                        Jean-Marc
                      • gaelman58
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 1, 2007
                          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "write3chairs"
                          <write3chairs@...> wrote:

                          > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "gaelman58" wrote:
                          >
                          > > Jean-Marc, find something in the above to take issue with, pick up
                          > > your sword, leap lightly into the saddle...and we'll get on with
                          > > it...regards, McCann
                          >
                          > And for heaven's sake, don't poke the horse with the pointy end of
                          the
                          > sword!

                          Jean-Marc: It is my fondest hope that we have some form of enemy
                          action here...for there is IMO no more interesting contention than the
                          battle of the sexes.

                          My prayer: Please Lord, make Jennifer a ruthless, take-no-prisoners
                          female...the devouring dragon of our dreams...for then we can do our
                          predictable fallen Knight bit...McCann
                        • write3chairs
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 2, 2007
                            --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "gaelman58" wrote:

                            > Jean-Marc: It is my fondest hope that we have some
                            > of enemy action here...for there is IMO no more
                            > interesting contention than the battle of the sexes.
                            >
                            > My prayer: Please Lord, make Jennifer a ruthless,
                            > take-no-prisoners female...the devouring dragon
                            > of our dreams...for then we can do our predictable
                            > fallen Knight bit...McCann

                            Enemy action and battle of the sexes, all in one sentence!
                            McCann, are you wearing your armor? I hope so. Listen up.
                            The enemy will sneak up on you when least expected.
                            The battle is too bloody for me; I much prefer the dance;
                            unless of course I am riding on the back of a dragon, in
                            which case I will gladly draw my sword, heat it up in the
                            fire the dragon is breathing, and wait for the enemy. What
                            does he look like, so I'll recognize him when I see him?

                            Jennifer
                          • gaelman58
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
                              <write3chairs@...> wrote:

                              > --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "gaelman58" wrote:
                              >
                              > > Jean-Marc: It is my fondest hope that we have some
                              > > of enemy action here...for there is IMO no more
                              > > interesting contention than the battle of the sexes.
                              > >
                              > > My prayer: Please Lord, make Jennifer a ruthless,
                              > > take-no-prisoners female...the devouring dragon
                              > > of our dreams...for then we can do our predictable
                              > > fallen Knight bit...McCann
                              >
                              > Enemy action and battle of the sexes, all in one sentence!
                              > McCann, are you wearing your armor? I hope so. Listen up.
                              > The enemy will sneak up on you when least expected.
                              > The battle is too bloody for me; I much prefer the dance;
                              > unless of course I am riding on the back of a dragon, in
                              > which case I will gladly draw my sword, heat it up in the
                              > fire the dragon is breathing, and wait for the enemy. What
                              > does he look like, so I'll recognize him when I see him?
                              >
                              > Jennifer

                              Well Jennifer, your enemy ain't all that formidable...you'll
                              probably come upon him while he's thrashing about in the weeds of a
                              sunlit meadow with a rusty, bent claymore. You'll ask, "What are
                              you looking for?" He'll answer, "A lady friend of mine said she
                              lost her maidenhood in the bosky, oak forest of Hy Skool. Naturally
                              you'll ask, "Why then, are you looking here?" He'll be confused and
                              probably answer, "Cause there's more light."

                              McCann
                            • write3chairs
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                                --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Nguyen" wrote:

                                > Jennifer, I'm strumming my guitar:
                                > "Don't be cruel to a horse that's true..."
                                >
                                > I'm sure Mister Ed would agree --- and croon with me :-)

                                For you, Jean-Marc!
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=g92lBuCsV1A

                                Are we having fun yet?

                                Smiles,
                                Jennifer

                                > Jean-Marc
                              • Jean-Marc Nguyen
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 6, 2007
                                  Mister Ed...the Pelvis?

                                  For you, Jennifer!

                                  Equine giggles,
                                  Jean-Marc

                                  > "Don't be cruel to a horse that's true..."
                                  >
                                  > I'm sure Mister Ed would agree --- and croon with me :-)

                                  For you, Jean-Marc!
                                  http://youtube. com/watch? v=g92lBuCsV1A

                                  Are we having fun yet?

                                  Smiles,
                                  Jennifer

                                  > Jean-Marc

                                • write3chairs
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 8, 2007
                                    --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Nguyen" wrote:

                                    > Mister Ed...the Pelvis?
                                    >
                                    > For you, Jennifer!
                                    >
                                    > http://youtube.com/watch?v=acQqpUf7vzs

                                    Saddle that baby up! I'm ready to ride. ;)

                                    Thanks, Jean-Marc!

                                    Jennifer