Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Re: Spirit and Soul

  • Jean-Marc Nguyen
    Message 1 of 22 , May 6, 2007
      Jennifer, you wrote:

      "Thank you, Jean-Marc, for such a thoughtful response. I think what it
      comes down to is that each one of us must summon the courage to
      withstand the heat, the fortitude to endure the reality of which you
      speak. I have lately been thinking about the dilemma, its nature,
      what to do about it. I think it's about reconciliation, and also
      about judgment. But it's also about respecting that others reconcile
      differently, and judge differently, too. Conscience is always going
      to be individual.

      If I could hear your conscience speak, what would it say?"

      *Reconciliation* is a truly happy and relevant choice of word, Jennifer.

      I also notice that you introduce a word which has a strong moral
      connotation: *conscience*.

      If you could hear my conscience speak, what would it say?
      That's a rather unusual and unexpected question, Jennifer --- but my
      conscience seems delighted to find an interested listener --- at last!
      (This conscience of mine is looking down at me right now with
      this unmistakable reproachful look... :-)

      Okay, you asked for it :-)
      So here's what *it* might say.

      Is a clear understanding of the *reconciliation* process possible
      without a true knowledge of the initial *separation* process?
      Certainly not.
      What is this *separation* process to begin with?
      It's the cosmic history of mankind up to the present day: involution,
      the gradual descent of the spiritual essence of Man into the darkness
      of the physical and material world.
      What are the main characteristics of this cosmic involutional descent?
      Separation by means of gradual differentiation: gender, race, people, etc...
      What is the ultimate stage of the differentiation process?
      The atomization of the spiritual essence of Man.
      When does that actually happen?
      When human atoms begin to say *I* --- i.e., when human beings
      discover *self-consciousness*.
      What is the price of self-consciousness?
      The [necessary and inevitable] delusion of a dual  separation.
      Steiner frequently referred to the gradual loss of spiritual consciousness,
      to the gradual decline and erosion in mankind's instinctive faculty of
      spiritual perception [atavistic clairvoyance] throughout the post-Atlantean
      era. This gradual deterioration process culminates in a total disconnection
      from the spiritual world [as far as consciouness is concerned].
      During the 5,000 years of the small *Kali Yuga*[Dark Age], which
      ended in the year 1899, "the doors of the spiritual world were closed"
      and the souls were [more than ever] in exile...
      With regard to the human soul, this disconnection means nothing else but
      dying to the spiritual world - and *this death* is exemplified on Golgotha!
      In other words, from a spiritual point of view: the human physical body
      became a coffin, a tomb, a grave in which the soul/spiritual nature of Man
      was buried [i.e., it was confined to the physical and material world]...
      Why was this sacrificial death necessary?
      Precisely in order to bring about a birth: that of the *I am*, the birth
      of self-consciousness in the physical world.
      This is one aspect of the dual separation: dying to the spiritual world
      - to the point that the newborn self-conscious spirit negates the reality
      of its spiritual  homeland [materialism, atheism]...
      What is the second aspect of the dual separation I mentioned?
      The existential isolation and separation the *I* experiences among
      other similar human spiritual atoms [Rilke's "infinite distances"...]

      Now, what is one very decisive feature of the *I am*?
      It's a double-edged sword with one particularly lethal cutting
      edge: potentially unlimited individual selfishness!
      Consequently, human atoms inevitably collide because of their
      selfish, personal, subjective, passionate - views, thoughts, interests,
      desires, etc... [the few examples you gave illustrate that very well].
      Things being what they are, the *heat* you mentioned and the general
      temperature are bound to increase...
      The crux of the matter here, Jennifer, is to uncover the delusive nature
      of the personal, subjective, everyday *I* itself: it is full of itself,
      but nonetheless largely a spiritual void.
      In other words, our usual everyday *I* is hardly anything else but
      an ephemeral caricature of the real spiritual *Ego*. It is to a great
      extent merely an empty form or receptacle longing for the blissful feeling
      of genuine fullness.
      What does all this mean?
      This means  that the earthly human being will increasingly yearn [as long
      as he isn't totally submerged by and in selfishness] to become
      *reconciled* with Himself --- Himself being the plenitude of his true
      original spiritual nature and essence.
      And this is why spiritual science came down from above as soon as
      the Dark Age ended. Spiritual science is not a matter of belief; it is
      a revelation of Man's origin, true nature, and cosmic odyssey --- which
      every human soul is absolutely free to penetrate and feed on or not
      [and this is cosmic *respectfulness*, Jennifer].
      This first aspect or facet of the reconciliation process will necessarily
      and inherently induce its second aspect: Rilke's "infinite distances"
      will metamorphose into genuine spiritual proximity and brotherhood.

      Of course, Jennifer: my conscience's intention :-) merely was to try to
      illuminate a little the grandiose cosmic background behind our daily
      hardships in a very conflictual world...

      Cheers and happy Sunday!

      Jean-Marc

    • write3chairs
      Message 2 of 22 , May 9, 2007
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Marc Nguyen"
        wrote:

        > *Reconciliation* is a truly happy and relevant choice of word,
        Jennifer.
        > [...] my conscience's intention :-) merely was to try to
        > illuminate a little the grandiose cosmic background behind
        > our daily hardships in a very conflictual world...

        I'm so glad I asked, Jean-Marc. Thanks a whole lot for illuminating
        the dark places. :)

        Do you ever ask yourself, "Who mirrors my deepest desires?" I think
        every soul longs for its counterpart, that heart beating harmoniously
        together, the one that warms your own heart so that it radiates
        pleasure throughout your whole body, that "coffin" you mentioned. I
        think of my soulmates, people with whom I share vital connections,
        and feel grateful, overall.

        Our desires can be like invitations to disaster sometimes, though.
        For instance, did you ever say to yourself, "If I can't have X, I
        will selfishly withhold Y." When a pathway is blocked by
        circumstances out of one's control, a feeling of helplessness and
        victimization permeates the body. Depression is inevitable; it is the
        natural response. Feeling those feelings cannot be escaped; the only
        release from them is acceptance.

        We talk about the weight of things, heaviness. What *is* this weight
        that presses against us? I think it is conscience. Watchful eyes and
        I's. Is anybody watching you now? (Perhaps.) Any disapproving stares
        from the rafters? (I hope not.)

        Reality is only and always what it is. I think therefore I am, and
        those thoughts arise out of our deepest longings, and out of our
        consciousness.

        Betrayal of conscience leads to spiritual crisis, I think.

        Cheerful Wednesday wishes!

        Jennifer

        > Cheers and happy Sunday!
        >
        > Jean-Marc
      • Jean-Marc Nguyen
        Message 3 of 22 , May 15, 2007
          Jennifer, you wrote:

          "Betrayal of conscience leads to spiritual crisis, I think."

          Well Jennifer, I think this applies beautifully to mankind as a whole,
          especially at the time when the Source of Life feels most unwelcome,
          patiently waiting out in the rain, on the threshold of our graves.
          Yes, Judas again...

          Cheers,
          Jean-Marc

        • write3chairs
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2009
            I was rather astonished to receive this poem from a good friend
            yesterday. The astonishment was because the theme so closely matches
            some of the themes here in the group lately.

            Jennifer

            ---

            it dreams in sleep, closed eyes rolling
            behind eyelids—it knows no justice,
            no love or blind illusions, it sees only hearts
            beating softly across long fields without end.
            it knows no boundaries, there is nowhere
            it ends, there is nowhere—it begins,
            undulating, rolling like mossy rocky hills,
            these mysteries hiding from sight,
            always at the corners of our eyes,
            beckoning us to follow them, to play
            new games with them, to hold new rings
            for them. these blues, these eyes
            each stone each morsel of heart,
            each beating, pounding moment,
            i would sign my name in blood
            for your torment to end. i would spin
            my world into muck, watch as we wash
            ourselves into some endless vacuum
            into the holy temple of fire.
            in dreams, in sleep, closed eyes rolling
            behind those lashes, the whip strikes flesh,
            smoke billows from fires and covers cave walls.
            i remember this life. i remember all the lives
            that ever came before. the veneer is crackled
            and spun into melted threads of silver,
            slivers of gauzy wing material, flesh and metal
            mixing within each other. your bowl
            made of flesh, this vessel made of loyalty
            i came to conquer, watching softly, steadily
            the easing of pain comes in and i think
            i think there is nothing else to think.
            flowers grow where you step,
            flowers sprout from the earth
            and scent the air with spices,
            cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, passion.
            i, holding my hand, i standing alone
            on this magnificent shore, jagged stones
            stab the sky as waves cleave themselves
            on their crowns, eddies whirl and jostle
            flotsam and foam, the sea is a lover
            a pearl lodged in my heart that won't be removed,
            look yonder—a gull coming to wrap its wings
            around my neck, look further, a flock of them
            wrapping themselves around my neck.
            i would like to tell a story, but i can no longer speak.
            i would like to cry a lullaby, but i am too weak.
            i stand upon the shoulders, the palaces fall
            to the ground, this dust and rubble, this mess of nerves
            each thing falling from one form to the next.

            (prodigal elf)