who was Marilyn Monroe

  • laquerencia33@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25 3:00 PM
      Much more than she was portrayed to be apparently...
      ***********

      from GKeillor's "Writer's Almanac":

      It's the birthday of Ella Fitzgerald, born in Newport News, Virginia, in
      1918. She loved to sing and dance as a child; and when she was 16, she
      entered a contest at the Apollo Theater—at that time no more than a hip
      local club in Harlem. She had a dance routine worked out, but once she got
      on stage she lost her nerve. So instead of dancing, she sang. She won the
      contest and soon became a celebrity across all of New York. She joined Cab
      Calloway and Duke Ellington as the only performers who could draw
      audiences at the Apollo from south of 125th Street.

      Marilyn Monroe was one of her biggest fans. Ella said, "I owe Marilyn a
      real debt. It was because of her that I played the Mocambo, a very popular
      nightclub in the '50s. She personally called the owner of the Mocambo, and
      told him she wanted me booked immediately, and if he would do it, she
      would take a front table every night. The owner said yes, and Marilyn was
      there, front table, every night. The press went overboard. After that, I
      never had to play a small jazz club again."