Re: Energy flows where attention goes

  • write3chairs
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2007
      Thanks for sharing this, Mike, and also for the blurb on Bill Moyers.
      Is great to hear news of him.

      So much of what we experience is below consciousness, yet when
      something significant breaks through to the surface we realize the
      importance of the subconsious mind and its role in processing what
      ultimately comes to be. It is like we each have this glorious and
      colorful murual inside; it rarely gets seen, even by ourselves. But
      little by little, if we consciously scrape away the grime that's
      collected there over time, the natural result of daily living, we see
      the colors, the shapes, the figures, lines and curves in all their
      splendor again. Focusing attention on that inner image helps burn
      away whatever is preventing us from seeing it. And as much as we
      might want to tell people about it, describe what we see, sometimes
      the words are never enough to contain it.

      Our real work, it seems, is below the surface of consciousness. It's
      in our own personal "war on terror," the war against our own
      unpleasant mental states, the ones that keep us resentful, angry, and
      helpless. Paradoxical as it sounds, helplessness is one of the most
      powerful states of being. There is power in helplessness because we
      are forced to look deeper and with more intensity at the idea of what
      helplessness really means. Before long, we realize we are not
      helpless at all but powerful. Helplessness is learned. To "unlearn"
      it takes conscious effort.

      It feels good to give up control sometimes, to surrender to the
      mystery. ;)

      Cheers,
      Jennifer