Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] asinine utterances

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2007

      Good stuff, Frank!

      You wrote:

      Tied for the 2 most asinine utterances of the day:

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070420/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_limbo

      This gave me a good laugh:

      "Although Catholics have long believed that children who die without being baptized are with original sin and thus excluded from heaven, the church has no formal doctrine on the matter. Theologians have long taught, however, that such children enjoy an eternal state of perfect natural happiness, a state commonly called limbo, but without being in communion with God."

      Sounds to me like a heaven for atheists: A state of happiness with no gods to pester you with their presence. This is priceless. Amazing that Catholics actually read or listen to this nonsense and believe in it. His Popeness ought to grace Comedy Central with a Friday night standup number.

      Come to think of it, there was this guy on Saturday Night Live some 25 years ago -- Father Guido Sarducci, played by Don Novello.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Guido_Sarducci

      "Novello made newspapers around the world when he visited the Vatican in 1981 wearing the Father Guido Sarducci costume and, while taking photographs for a magazine article in an area where photography was prohibited, was arrested by the Swiss Guards along with his photographer (Paul Solomon), and eventually charged with "impersonating a priest". The charges were later dropped, and Solomon managed to protect the film from confiscation."

      He talked just like His Popeness, Pope Benedict XVI !! It was my favorite part of the show. He said they'd discovered the menu from the Last Supper, beginning with twelve eggs benedict. And he explained reincarnation too: Life on earth is a job, and when you get to St. Peter at Heavens' Gate, you get paid for it, but then you have to pay for your sins, which is more than your wages, and you end up in debt and have to return to Earth to go back to work.

      The Vatican was so upset about Father Guido Sarducci, especially because of his enormous popularity, that they contacted NBC executives on behalf of His Popeness, requesting that  Father Guido Sarducci be taken off the show. But the studio execs were basically non-religious Jews, and they figured papal disapproval simply meant good ratings. Then the Vatican tried to ban Catholics from watching Saturday Night Live, but the show was too big a hit for that to have an impact. Then they modified the ban by saying Catholics were permitted to watch the show, but they were not permitted to watch Father Guido Sarducci. Ever since then, the papal office has been little more than a standup number.

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070420/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_joke

      Presidential hopeful John McCain joked about bombing Iran? Well, Ronald Reagan was president during some of the most tense years of the Cold War, and there he was, joking on the radio about bombing the Soviet Union. He was waiting to be interviewed and didn't know the mike was already on, though. This was president Reagan's joke:

      "My fellow Americans, I've just signed legislation outlawing Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

      The quote hit the headlines and didn't exactly improve US-USSR relations. To make things worse: We know today that Reagan was suffering from early Alltzheimer and severely reduced mental faculties throughout his presidency. He was only in good mental health in the first few months in office, until he was shot and almost killed early in 1981. After that, he was a charming, lovable, tremendously popular, rambling, senile waterbrain.