Re: Study reveals "Robin Hood impulse" in human nature

  • write3chairs
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 16, 2007
      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, "premabrahma" wrote:

      > "The healthy social life is only when
      > in the mirror of the human soul
      > the whole community forms itself
      > and in the community lives
      > the strength of the individual soul."
      >
      > Rudolf Steiner, November 1920

      I just came across something today, a belief
      that Alfred Adler held about mental health.
      He bascially said that humans have three life
      tasks that are universal: building friendships
      (social task), establishing intimacy (love/
      marriage task), and contributing to society
      (occupational task). The person who is credited
      with bringing Adler's idea's to the United
      States, Rudolf Dreikers, and his colleague
      Harold Mosak, added two more life tasks:
      getting along with ourselves (self task)
      and the existential (spiritual task).
      The quote you share above by Rudolf Steiner
      reminded me of this bit that I read in one
      of my textbooks: "Adler maintained that the
      degree to which we successfully share with
      others and are concerned with the welfare
      of others is an index of our overall personality
      adjustment and level of maturity. In other
      words, social interest is the measure of mental
      health, insofar as it is reflected in our
      capacity to give and receive and in our
      willingness to cooperate for the common benefit
      of all." The part about social interest being
      the measure of mental health strikes me as
      especially relevant, not only for the wisdom
      inherent in the statement but also because
      I just happened to be thinking about this
      and came across it today, then came to read
      AT posts and saw yours. Worlds collide. ;)

      Peace,
      Jennifer