Correspondence with a Catholic

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2007

      Back in 2003, many months before Anthroposophy Tomorrow was launched, I enjoyed a most delightful correspondence with a Catholic who just happened to drop me a line one day without warning, feeling provoked by my anarchist skull page at http://uncletaz.com/skullpage.html

      To: tarjei.straume@(....................)
      Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:10:25 -0400

      Dear Tarjej and Other Anarchist Officials (which there aren't any?),

      I am a Catholic and would like to explain the cross to you a little better, because obviously you never took the trouble of learning about it before you told others about it. The cross is a symbol to all Christians of Jesus' (The Christ) suffering and death to cleanse this world. By dying on the cross, he defeated sin, now any sin may be forgiven, no matter how grave, as long as you are truly repentant. Being sinless, or nearly sinless at death (everyone dies, like you said) is like you're already in Heaven and the transition is smooth. Having more sin, but living a life trying to get closer to God, is a ticket to Purgatory, a temporary state of cleansing before entering Heaven. As you have probably heard, a sinful life leads to eternal damnation in Hell.

      As you said, we are all mortal, we all die. We believe in an afterlife, not with these mortal bodies, but with our immortal spirit. What do you believe? Your religion has some holes, such as, you made it clear, you believe in death, but what after death? Nothing? Emptiness? No awareness? Also, a system without officials does not work. No one will follow you if you don't have someone for them to follow. The Pope is a position that was instituted by Jesus, Peter being the first. Peter comes from the Latin word for rock, I'm sure you've heard "On this rock I shall build my church." No catechism? Many of your "followers" won't even know what they're following, just thought being an Anarchist Christian sounded interesting. The Catholics, at least, have a very high quality education system to teach the faith at an early age so it is understood and loved.

      I found these two holes only in the first paragraph of your page about the skull, I couldn't read on. I really advise you to go to a Catholic priest and ask about the faith. Then make your own decision. I will pray you make the right one.

      Friendly Catholic

      * * *

      From: Tarjei Straume <tastraum@(....................) >
      Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 16:10:25 -0400

      Hello,

      you wrote:

      >Dear Tarjej and Other Anarchist Officials (which there aren't any?),

      No, I don't manage a federal agency or a military base.

      How do you know? The text at http://www.uncletaz.com/skullpage.html (that you're obviously referring to) is based upon my personal views, nobody else's. My only mention of the church in this context, is that they "chose the cross" as their symbol.

      >The cross is a symbol to all Christians of Jesus' (The Christ) suffering and death to cleanse this world. By dying on the cross, he defeated sin, now any sin may be forgiven, no >matter how grave, as long as you are truly repentant. Being sinless, or nearly sinless at death (everyone dies, like you said) is like you're already in Heaven and the transition is >smooth. Having more sin, but living a life trying to get closer to God, is a ticket to Purgatory, a temporary state of cleansing before entering Heaven. As you have probably heard, a
      >sinful life leads to eternal damnation in Hel
      l.

      I know that Christian fundamentalists believe that (Catholic and Protestants alike), but I don't share this faith.

      >As you said, we are all mortal, we all die. We believe in an afterlife, not with these mortal bodies, but with our immortal spirit. What do you believe?

      I believe pre-existence is of equal importance to post mortem existence. The reason why so many people believe in the latter while giving no thought whatsoever to the former, is that they are motivated by egoism; they don't want to die.

      >Your religion has some holes, such as, you made it clear, you believe in death, but what after death? Nothing? Emptiness? No awareness?

      Human existence after death, the way I see it, is amply dealt with by Rudolf Steiner in his books and lectures.

      >Also, a system without officials does not work. No one will follow you if you don't have someone for them to follow.

      I don't want to be followed. Do you?

      >The Pope is a position that was instituted by Jesus, Peter being the first. Peter comes from the Latin word for rock, I'm sure you've heard "On this rock I shall build my church."

      Most non-Catholics disagree with your interpretation of Matthew 16:18, including Yours Truly.

      >No catechism? Many of your "followers" won't even know what they're following, just thought being an Anarchist Christian sounded interesting. The Catholics, at least, have a very high >quality education system to teach the faith at an early age so it is understood and loved.

      Check out Dorothy Day (founder of the magazine "Catholic Worker" i 1933). She was a Catholic anarchist. Perhaps other Catholic anarchists may answer your questions. Because my own philosophy is incompatible with Catholicism, I am not the right person to offer solutions to the problems you address.

      >I found these two holes only in the first paragraph of your page about the skull, I couldn't read on. I really advise you to go to a Catholic priest and ask about the faith. Then make >your own decision.

      Decision about what?

      >I will pray you make the right one.

      The right what? A new career opportunity or something?

      If I want to speak to a priest, I usually call up a friend of mine who is a priest for the Christian Community - a church based upon anthroposophy, including rituals inaugurated by Rudolf Steiner. We share basically the same views with regard to the topics you have mentioned, I believe, but I'll ask him just in case.

      I hope that makes you a little happier.

      Warm greetings,

      Tarjei
      http://uncletaz.com/