Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Credibility

  • Frank Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
      --- gaelman58 <gaelman58@...> wrote:

      > There are any number of intelligent moderate people
      > who are opposed to
      > the current administration. Many of them are in the
      > media. They use
      > the same sources of information available to the
      > rest of us to make
      > their case in trying to persuade the American public
      > that the Bush
      > political/economic agenda is an utter failure.
      > These folks are for
      > the most part sincere. They are certainly not
      > stupid or less informed
      > than anyone on this list.
      > That latter bit is the primary reason that no major
      > media outlet has
      > even suggested the possibility of a governmental
      > conspiracy regarding
      > the events of 9/11. Were the NY Times or NBC
      > Nightly News to break
      > such a story with the kind of evidence presented
      > here, their
      > credibility as reliable news sources would
      > immediately go into the
      > toilet. Their media competitors would gleefully
      > have a field day
      > poking fun at them. They, not the conspiracy, would
      > be the hot news item.
      > But there is indeed a place for the "reporting" of
      > such conspiracies.
      > I'm referring to those tabloids one sees at the end
      > of the check-out
      > lines at supermarkets. You know....the ones
      > reporting Hillary's
      > affair with her chauffeur and the woman who gave
      > birth to an alligator.
      > Funny thing...I've never seen anyone buy one of
      > those tabloids...G.

      Gaelman, you a mon arfter me own heart. Now how about
      apply some of that logic to papal infallibility!
      Frank

      Frank Thomas Smith
      http://SouthernCrossReview.org

      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
      Access over 1 million songs.
      http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
    • gaelman58
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2007
        --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Frank Smith
        <eltrigal78@...> wrote:

        > --- gaelman58 <gaelman58@...> wrote:
        >
        > > There are any number of intelligent moderate people
        > > who are opposed to
        > > the current administration. Many of them are in the
        > > media. They use
        > > the same sources of information available to the
        > > rest of us to make
        > > their case in trying to persuade the American public
        > > that the Bush
        > > political/economic agenda is an utter failure.
        > > These folks are for
        > > the most part sincere. They are certainly not
        > > stupid or less informed
        > > than anyone on this list.
        > > That latter bit is the primary reason that no major
        > > media outlet has
        > > even suggested the possibility of a governmental
        > > conspiracy regarding
        > > the events of 9/11. Were the NY Times or NBC
        > > Nightly News to break
        > > such a story with the kind of evidence presented
        > > here, their
        > > credibility as reliable news sources would
        > > immediately go into the
        > > toilet. Their media competitors would gleefully
        > > have a field day
        > > poking fun at them. They, not the conspiracy, would
        > > be the hot news item.
        > > But there is indeed a place for the "reporting" of
        > > such conspiracies.
        > > I'm referring to those tabloids one sees at the end
        > > of the check-out
        > > lines at supermarkets. You know....the ones
        > > reporting Hillary's
        > > affair with her chauffeur and the woman who gave
        > > birth to an alligator.
        > > Funny thing...I've never seen anyone buy one of
        > > those tabloids...G.
        >
        > Gaelman, you a mon arfter me own heart. Now how about
        > apply some of that logic to papal infallibility!
        > Frank
        >

        > Frank Thomas Smith
        > http://SouthernCrossReview.org

        Frank: You'd of course know that any modern man would be hard put to
        make a convincing intellectual case for Papal Infallibility...or the
        influence of the celestial hierarchies...or for that matter, the
        Resurrection itself, eh?

        Years ago I did a bit of reading about that particular dogma and came
        up empty. The theological subtleties were beyond my ken. There are
        elements of Anthroposophy that lie beyond my intellectual grasp as
        well. In any event, the truth or falsity of Papal Infallibility gets
        trumped in my mind by what I read in the Catechism...e.g. "Conscience
        is the aboriginal vicar of Christ" and "Man has the right to act in
        conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions.
        'He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he
        be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in
        religious matters'".

        I do Catholicism. You don't. I suspect it's a matter of conscience
        for both of us...conscience, but more importantly, experience. I
        haven't had bad experiences in the Church. I assume you have. I
        don't have your antipathy toward the Church but I will not say your
        antipathy does not have its justification...after all, what the hell
        do I know about your experience.

        I can't say I agree with your recent call to impeach the Pope...oops,
        my bad, ...you were referring to that guy with the good-looking wife,
        eh?...regards, McCann

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007
          --- gaelman58 <gaelman58@...> wrote:

          F:> > Gaelman, you a mon arfter me own heart. Now how
          > about
          > > apply some of that logic to papal infallibility!
          > > Frank
          > >

          > Frank: You'd of course know that any modern man
          > would be hard put to
          > make a convincing intellectual case for Papal
          > Infallibility...or the
          > influence of the celestial hierarchies...or for that
          > matter, the
          > Resurrection itself, eh?

          But very easy to make a convincing argument against
          the possibility of papal infallibility.

          > Years ago I did a bit of reading about that
          > particular dogma and came
          > up empty. The theological subtleties were beyond my
          > ken.

          You don't need theological subtleties, all you need is
          your own logic to realize that no man is infallible
          just because HE (or anyone else) says so.

          There are
          > elements of Anthroposophy that lie beyond my
          > intellectual grasp as
          > well. In any event, the truth or falsity of Papal
          > Infallibility gets
          > trumped in my mind by what I read in the
          > Catechism...e.g. "Conscience
          > is the aboriginal vicar of Christ" and "Man has the
          > right to act in
          > conscience and in freedom so as personally to make
          > moral decisions.

          "Conscience
          > is the aboriginal vicar of Christ" I don't get that;
          it must be *very* subtle.

          > 'He must not be forced to act contrary to his
          > conscience. Nor must he
          > be prevented from acting according to his
          > conscience, especially in
          > religious matters'".

          Loverly, late but loverly.

          > I do Catholicism. You don't. I suspect it's a
          > matter of conscience
          > for both of us...conscience, but more importantly,
          > experience. I
          > haven't had bad experiences in the Church. I assume
          > you have.

          I haven't had bad experience in the Church, at least
          not of the kind I think you mean. The only thing is
          the insult to my intelligence.

          > don't have your antipathy toward the Church but I
          > will not say your
          > antipathy does not have its justification...after
          > all, what the hell
          > do I know about your experience.

          No experience other than yours; all you need to be is
          objective and see through the bullshit.

          > I can't say I agree with your recent call to impeach
          > the Pope...oops,
          > my bad, ...you were referring to that guy with the
          > good-looking wife,
          > eh?...regards, McCann

          Impeach the Pope? How many divisions does *he* have?

          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2007
            It was oh so nice to see this man back in the ring.

            Seems to be a little controversy about the guitar:) I'm thinking, guys please, it's Prince fog God's sake. that's just so funny to me. But you know, it all has its place in the fun sphere and then, and then its time to get busy.

            Best,
            Dottie

            Be a PS3 game guru.