Faculties/Elemental beings

  • gaelman58
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2007
      Kristen (yes?) wrote with regard to a specific nocturnal experience
      having to do with the perception of spiders:

      "Did Steiner ever mention anything like this? Does anyone here
      experience these spiders?"

      Perhaps the following reference might be useful to you. In the
      lectures entitled, "Man and the World of Stars", lecture V, "Human
      Faculties and their Connection with Elemental Beings", Steiner
      speaks of hideously ugly spider-creatures and also says that "It is
      through these frightful spider-creatures of an elemental order that
      interest in beauty really awakens"....and adds later, "Whatever
      beauty is brought forth in the world has been lifted out of a sea of
      ugliness through the enthusiasm in the human soul"

      He says a number of odd things in that lecture (e.g. the reference
      to the band of "spirit fools" who go trooping after very clever men)
      and I can't say I have any special insight or understanding of such
      things.

      It seems to me that for whatever reason you've had a perception of
      an objective spiritual phenomemon. One that does not necessarily
      arise out of your own subjectivity. I've always suspected that the
      perception of spider-like creatures by cocaine users mentioned by
      Mike H. or the pink elephant-like creatures experienced by those
      going through delirium tremens might be an objective supersensible
      experience. Rather like the veil being lifted as a result of the
      person's physical and psychological situation.

      Maybe you can get more out of that lecture by Steiner than I did.
      In any event, I sincerely hope your unpleasant experinces come to an
      end.

      A stray thought arising from my rereading of that lecture: Do you
      have strong artistic inclinations?

      Best regards, Gaelman