Re: War and its aftermath...

  • Mike helsher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      <straume@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > implicit in all rituals and habits of speech from all this
      excessive
      > "God bless America" stuff - where the US is singled out by the
      > "Almighty" as superior to all other nationalities and the rest of
      the
      > world must put up with the puny leftover crumbs of Old Testament
      > nation-blessings - to all those oaths and swearings and pledges
      > concocted in the Masonic Lodges or something, promises to obey
      > lawbooks thicker than telephone books and so on. (Does anyone
      request
      > to read all the laws before agreeing to obey them with oaths and
      pledges?)

      > This propaganda is incessant, running 24/7 and repeated over and
      over
      > again in the media so that whenever anybody says something
      about "the
      > best country God ever made", or that serving in foreign wars
      pleases
      > God who blesses his warriors, and that without all this shedding of
      > blood, freedom would be eradicated from the US and the rest of the
      > planet and so on, the audience responds with deafening applause. It
      > happens at every talk show. Someone says "Bless" and "country" in
      the
      > same sentence, and people cheer and applaud. It doesn't matter how
      > unintelligent or illogical your point or argument is as long as you
      > include words like "bless", God, "country", and "American". Just
      ask
      > the president. People don't realize how idiotic it is to say "I'm
      > proud to be American" until they hear some white supremacist saying
      > "I'm proud to be white". But it's the same thing. I'm proud to be
      an
      > Okie from Muskogie. Proud to be born among wolves in Siberia. All
      > this pride in accidents of birth is false pride, because it's no
      > achievement whatsoever.
      >
      > And then there's racism, pure and simple. There was this
      > Italian-American protest against Columbus Day a little while back,
      > and this Native American chief talked about the significance of the
      > yellow ribbons (remember that song btw), and he pointed out that
      the
      > spirit of the Indian wars is still very much alive and kicking, so
      > that any territory in the developing world not controlled by the US
      > is considered to be "injun land". I remember reading General Custer
      > many years ago, and that one of his chapters was entitled, "How I
      > killed my first Injun". (His famous quote: "The only good injun is
      > dead injun.")
      >
      > During WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, they were killing "gooks", and now
      > they have another derogatory word for Iraqi Arab Muslims that they
      > kill. (It eludes my memory, but I heard it a few months back.) The
      > troops were composing upbeat songs entertaining each other in the
      > barracks, and the songs were about the fun of killing as many Arabs

      One of our former list mates (Steve Haag) recently gave me a copy of
      a book that he just finished writing called - "PLEDGE".

      He was inspired to write it by an incident in which his 8th grade
      daughter refused to stand and recite the "pledge of allegiance" at
      the public school that she was attending.

      Made me think of the difference between the idea of "school" and the
      idea of "education". A "school" of fish doesnt have much to do with
      education, but if you can "school" human beings like fish, it makes
      for great crowd control, and a great base for the influence of the
      God of politics - "public opinion". Mark Twain once wrote of public
      opinion that "...it settles everything, some think it the voice of
      God!"

      But the bigger question in Steves Book is, to what do we Pledge to
      today, and why?

      The WC oxy-morons will take the words on paper about what Rudolf
      Steiner about "jewery" and Pledge it, and themselves, the the god of
      anti-semitism, in light of all that has come out of what the man
      actually stood for (the conscious human evolution out of the tralls
      of sectarian orthodoxy in just one thing that comes to mind). Sound
      familiar?

      All wars, be they internet, or global, are fostered by this kind of
      narrow minded stupidity.

      Ben franklin wrote his own epitaph, that inspired me to write my own.
      I think I'll write my own pledge, like I conjoured up my own religion.

      what about you?

      Mike

    • Mike helsher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        Ee-gadds. My typos are starting to annoy even me...:)

        this paragraph should have read:

        "The WC oxy-morons will take the words on paper about what Rudolf
        Steiner wrote about "jewery" and Pledge it, and themselves, to the god
        of anti-semitism, in light of all that has come out of what the man
        actually stood for (the conscious human evolution out of the tralls of
        sectarian orthodoxy in just one thing that comes to mind). Sound
        familiar?"

        musing if I only had some typing skills...

        Mike