War and its aftermath...

  • Jo Ann Schwartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      How did you spend your new year's holiday? I spent mine cleaning and cooking and
      hosting friends and eating cake and drinking champagne... and standing in the rain
      with other friends holding signs and candles to commemorate the 3,000 American dead
      and the 655,000+ Iraqi dead and trying to figure out a good answer to my youngest
      daughter's question, "When do we get to stop doing this?"

      I don't have a good answer for her, so I mutter something about when the war ends...
      all gods and goddesses grant this will be soon.

      But even more than my daughter's question, I'm haunted by something I read in
      Riverbend's blog. I'll quote just a piece of it, but would hope you would go read
      the whole post.

      "... 3000 Americans dead over nearly four years? Really? That's the number of
      dead Iraqis in less than a month. The Americans had families? Too bad. So do we. So
      do the corpses in the streets and the ones waiting for identification in the morgue.

      "Is the American soldier that died today in Anbar more important than a cousin I
      have who was shot last month on the night of his engagement to a woman he's wanted
      to marry for the last six years? I don't think so.

      "Just because Americans die in smaller numbers, it doesn't make them more
      significant, does it?"

      http://tinyurl.com/ylxwfv

      Well, does it?

      With love, from the heart of darkness,
      JoAnn

      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      I am not willing to give up my constitutional rights
      just because I have nothing to hide."
    • Tarjei Straume
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        Jo Ann shared:

        >"... 3000 Americans dead over nearly four years? Really? That's the
        >number of dead Iraqis in less than a month. The Americans had
        >families? Too bad. So do we. So do the corpses in the streets and
        >the ones waiting for identification in the morgue.
        >
        >"Is the American soldier that died today in Anbar more important
        >than a cousin I have who was shot last month on the night of his
        >engagement to a woman he's wanted to marry for the last six years? I
        >don't think so.
        >
        >"Just because Americans die in smaller numbers, it doesn't make them
        >more significant, does it?"
        >
        >http://tinyurl.com/ylxwfv
        >
        >Well, does it?

        It's a cultural problem, an incessant brainwashing nationalistic
        propaganda problem that just won't go away. It's explicit and
        implicit in all rituals and habits of speech from all this excessive
        "God bless America" stuff - where the US is singled out by the
        "Almighty" as superior to all other nationalities and the rest of the
        world must put up with the puny leftover crumbs of Old Testament
        nation-blessings - to all those oaths and swearings and pledges
        concocted in the Masonic Lodges or something, promises to obey
        lawbooks thicker than telephone books and so on. (Does anyone request
        to read all the laws before agreeing to obey them with oaths and pledges?)

        This propaganda is incessant, running 24/7 and repeated over and over
        again in the media so that whenever anybody says something about "the
        best country God ever made", or that serving in foreign wars pleases
        God who blesses his warriors, and that without all this shedding of
        blood, freedom would be eradicated from the US and the rest of the
        planet and so on, the audience responds with deafening applause. It
        happens at every talk show. Someone says "Bless" and "country" in the
        same sentence, and people cheer and applaud. It doesn't matter how
        unintelligent or illogical your point or argument is as long as you
        include words like "bless", God, "country", and "American". Just ask
        the president. People don't realize how idiotic it is to say "I'm
        proud to be American" until they hear some white supremacist saying
        "I'm proud to be white". But it's the same thing. I'm proud to be an
        Okie from Muskogie. Proud to be born among wolves in Siberia. All
        this pride in accidents of birth is false pride, because it's no
        achievement whatsoever.

        And then there's racism, pure and simple. There was this
        Italian-American protest against Columbus Day a little while back,
        and this Native American chief talked about the significance of the
        yellow ribbons (remember that song btw), and he pointed out that the
        spirit of the Indian wars is still very much alive and kicking, so
        that any territory in the developing world not controlled by the US
        is considered to be "injun land". I remember reading General Custer
        many years ago, and that one of his chapters was entitled, "How I
        killed my first Injun". (His famous quote: "The only good injun is a
        dead injun.")

        During WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, they were killing "gooks", and now
        they have another derogatory word for Iraqi Arab Muslims that they
        kill. (It eludes my memory, but I heard it a few months back.) The
        troops were composing upbeat songs entertaining each other in the
        barracks, and the songs were about the fun of killing as many Arabs
        as possible during any given day.

        Tarjei
      • Mike helsher
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
          <straume@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > yellow ribbons (remember that song btw), and he pointed out that
          the
          > spirit of the Indian wars is still very much alive and kicking, so
          > that any territory in the developing world not controlled by the US
          > is considered to be "injun land". I remember reading General Custer
          > many years ago, and that one of his chapters was entitled, "How I
          > killed my first Injun". (His famous quote: "The only good injun is
          > dead injun.")
          >
          > During WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, they were killing "gooks", and now
          > they have another derogatory word for Iraqi Arab Muslims that they
          > kill. (It eludes my memory, but I heard it a few months back.) The
          > troops were composing upbeat songs entertaining each other in the
          > barracks, and the songs were about the fun of killing as many Arabs

          One of our former list mates (Steve Haag) recently gave me a copy of
          a book that he just finished writing called - "PLEDGE".

          He was inspired to write it by an incident in which his 8th grade
          daughter refused to stand and recite the "pledge of allegiance" at
          the public school that she was attending.

          Made me think of the difference between the idea of "school" and the
          idea of "education". A "school" of fish doesnt have much to do with
          education, but if you can "school" human beings like fish, it makes
          for great crowd control, and a great base for the influence of the
          God of politics - "public opinion". Mark Twain once wrote of public
          opinion that "...it settles everything, some think it the voice of
          God!"

          But the bigger question in Steves Book is, to what do we Pledge to
          today, and why?

          The WC oxy-morons will take the words on paper about what Rudolf
          Steiner about "jewery" and Pledge it, and themselves, the the god of
          anti-semitism, in light of all that has come out of what the man
          actually stood for (the conscious human evolution out of the tralls
          of sectarian orthodoxy in just one thing that comes to mind). Sound
          familiar?

          All wars, be they internet, or global, are fostered by this kind of
          narrow minded stupidity.

          Ben franklin wrote his own epitaph, that inspired me to write my own.
          I think I'll write my own pledge, like I conjoured up my own religion.

          what about you?

          Mike

        • Mike helsher
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
            Ee-gadds. My typos are starting to annoy even me...:)

            this paragraph should have read:

            "The WC oxy-morons will take the words on paper about what Rudolf
            Steiner wrote about "jewery" and Pledge it, and themselves, to the god
            of anti-semitism, in light of all that has come out of what the man
            actually stood for (the conscious human evolution out of the tralls of
            sectarian orthodoxy in just one thing that comes to mind). Sound
            familiar?"

            musing if I only had some typing skills...

            Mike