Blessing of the sacred

  • write3chairs
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2006
      === JKrishnamurti.org - Daily Quote ===

      The Religious Man

      What is the state of the mind that says, "I do not know whether there
      is God, whether there is love," that is, when there is no response of
      memory? Please don't immediately answer the question to yourselves
      because if you do, your answer will be merely the recognition of what
      you think it should or should not be. If you say, "It is a state of
      negation," you are comparing it with something that you already know;
      therefore, that state in which you say, "I do not know" is
      nonexistent....

      So the mind that is capable of saying, "I do not know," is in the
      only state in which anything can be discovered. But the man who
      says, "I know," the man who has studied infinitely the varieties of
      human experience and whose mind is burdened with information, with
      encyclopedic knowledge, can he ever experience something which is not
      to be accumulated? He will find it extremely hard. When the mind
      totally puts aside all the knowledge that it has acquired, when for
      it there are no Buddhas, no Christs, no Masters, no teachers, no
      religions, no quotations; when the mind is completely alone,
      uncontaminated, which means that the movement of the known has come
      to an end - it is only then that there is a possibility of a
      tremendous revolution, a fundamental change. The religious man is he
      who does not belong to any religion, to any nation, to any race, who
      is inwardly completely alone, in a state of not-knowing, and for him
      the blessing of the sacred comes into being.

      The Book of Life - December 19