Re: [anthroposophy_tomorrow] Isaiah Berlin

  • eurythmy
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2006
      Dear Frank, and all,
      I do not know German, but in French one says for the literature side: University of the beautiful letters /Facultee des Belles Lettres, for Arts: Painting, modelling, sculpture: Facultee des Beaux Arts.
      For humanities: , Sociology, history, anthropology, etc: Les Sciences Humaines.

      Anyway for Steiner if you have Sciences and Art you have Religion.
      Sciences de l'esprit, can accommodate with Humanities, there is a lot of Philosophy of Sciences, Maths, physics etc that can be taken in French within 'Humanities', so why not in English. Those philosophers look at facts and methods of sciences, debunk the a-priory, myth, doctrines and unproven theories, which is what Steiner does with modern science.
      Like any word chosen for Anthroposophy, or Spiritual Science, it would have its sell-by date, and would be only stay appropriate in specific contrast.
      Isaih Berlin is quite OK when you include philosophy of Sciences as opposed to Sciences, and one can always refer to this 'Humanities' when one speaks of the Anthro-language of Earth reincarnation, and hierarchies, as they all get their 'human stage' at some point.
      Anthroposophy is a good contrast to Theosophy.
      Spiritual Science is fine by me, and better than Mind Science, which sounds manipulative.
      One could get Science of Consciousness. Science of the I am.
      Human has a root of humus very linked to the agrarian use of the earth, which cause many debates with English translators of Mensch, Man, wo/man.
      Kind regards,
      Franky