The Dalai Lama has it -- but just what is 'it'?

  • SerenaBlaue@aol.com
    Message 1 of 140 , Dec 11, 2006
      'The Dalai Lama also said, 'Maybe science will figure these things out,
      which would be very nice. Maybe it won't.' '

      _http://www.topix.net/content/trb/1508956577205263365030667790372963109686_
      (http://www.topix.net/content/trb/1508956577205263365030667790372963109686)

      The Dalai Lama has it -- but just what is 'it'?
      Los Angeles Times

      By Louis Sahagun

      December 08, 2006

      If there was ever someone in need of good vibrations, it was Paul Ekman. The
      UC San Francisco psychology professor was as gnarly as an old oak, with a
      face hard-chiseled by a lifelong struggle with impulsive anger. All that
      changed one spring day in 2000 after a brief exchange with His Holiness the Dalai
      Lama.
      'He held my hands while we talked,' Ekman recalled, 'and I was filled with a
      sense of goodness and a unique total body sensation that I have no words to
      describe.' Now, the noted expert on human emotional expression understands
      what it actually feels like to be cheery and optimistic almost every day.

      'If I was 30 years younger, I'd take it on as a scientific task to try to
      explain what happened that day,' said Ekman, 72. 'It was a great gift.' What is
      that gift? Mind control? Charisma? A superhuman skill learned in some Tibetan
      Shangri-La? A touch of magic? The Dalai Lama prefers not to talk of such
      things. 'I have no extraordinary energy,' he insists with a dismissive wave his
      hand. 'I'm just a Buddhist monk.' But some familiar with the Dalai Lama, and
      those who study religious figures in history, agree that every so often,
      people emerge who are perceived to offer proof of a higher authority,
      understanding or wisdom. 'It - whatever it is - can't be defined and is not to be
      confused with stardom or fame,' suggested someone who knows a lot about both, Maria
      Shriver. 'I think the Dalai Lama would say look within because it's in you,
      not someone else. It all comes down to whether you're open to being touched
      in your heart.' Shriver, a member of the Kennedy clan and Gov. Arnold
      Schwarzenegger's wife, knows the Dalai Lama and in September appeared onstage with
      him at a conference in Long Beach on women's issues. She also knew Mother
      Teresa and Pope John Paul II and said they too projected an aura. In India, one of
      the most popular spiritual leaders today is Mata Amritanandamayi, a Hindu
      woman who is said to impart divine energy with a hug. Over the years, according
      to her followers, the 'Mother of Divine Bliss' has hugged more than 20
      million people. 'Personally, I don't know what it is she has, but I don't think
      it's a scam,' said Dara Mayers, an author who has written about her travels
      with the guru. 'It reminded me a little of a quality I've seen in some
      performers and politicians like Bill Clinton, who is famous for making the focus of
      his attention feel like the only other person in the room.' But as Shriver
      noted, this quality goes beyond charisma. What these special figures have in
      common is their effect on others. They are perceived as being able to bring
      people to a higher state of being through their example, teachings, sufferings or
      touch. In Roman Catholicism, the lives of saints offer many examples, whether
      from the distant past, as in St. Francis of Assisi, who died in 1226, or
      more recent times. For example, the Italian priest Padre Pio, who died in 1968
      and was canonized in 2002, was said to have a remarkable ability to sense
      people's pains and to provide comfort. Thomas Craughwell, a devoted Catholic and
      author of several books on saints, said an unquantifiable quality sets some
      people apart from the rest of humanity. 'These people are operating at a level
      most of us are not,' he said, 'and they're not limited by denominations. The
      spirit blows where it will. 'We don't run into them very often,' he added,
      'but when we do, we're rattled because it's like a brush with the divine, and
      because we want a piece of what they have.' That was the case with two visits
      in September to the Los Angeles area by the Dalai Lama. Hundreds of Tibetans
      and Mongolians gathered at a Pasadena hotel to receive a personal blessing
      that some believed would protect them in this life and ensure them a place in
      heaven. The Dalai Lama is leader of the world's Buddhists, born in a cowshed
      in a remote Tibetan village and chosen by a search party of monks at the age
      of 2 to be head of his people.

      B. Allan Wallace, who has served as a translator for the Dalai Lama since
      1974, said there is 'a field of kindness' surrounding the spiritual leader that
      is 'not hocus-pocus' and was developed 'after meditating four to six hours
      each day for 55 years.' That kind of talk makes some scientists uncomfortable
      but also hungry to know more. Anne Harrington, a professor of the history of
      science at Harvard, still marvels at how her colleagues responded to the Dalai
      Lama during a meeting with him in India a few years ago. 'There was one
      physicist who, after a few days with the Dalai Lama, tearfully confessed that his
      wife had cancer,' she recalled. 'He wanted a blessing. Specifically, he
      wanted a red blessing string for his wife.' In late 2003, Harrington attended a
      two-day conference at MIT between Western scientists and the Dalai Lama, who
      'radiated an extraordinary openness and humor that was disarming and
      inconsistent with the pomp and circumstance we normally associate with a world
      figure.' 'At one point, during a sensitive moment in group discussion, the Dalai
      Lama sneezed into the microphone,' Harrington recalled. 'It made a booming sound
      that temporarily stopped the proceeding.' Afterward, she said, some of the
      Buddhist monks and scholars in attendance 'talked about how skillful His
      Holiness had been in clearing the air of meandering talk and getting us back onto
      a more productive footing.' To Harrington, it was just a sneeze, but she
      found the reaction to it striking.

      'In other words,' she said, 'the assumption was that every sniffle and
      twitch he makes is in meaningful service, whatever he is engaged in at any
      particular moment. 'Clearly,' Harrington added, 'we don't all engage with the same
      Dalai Lama. 'That's not to undermine the warm and loving personality he brings
      to every occasion,' she said. 'But he is also believed by some to have the
      ability to make wrong right, and heal, and make peace palpable. And that
      teaches us as much about ourselves as it does about him.' And yet, how to explain
      the experience of people like Ekman, the psychologist who learned to control
      his anger? Years ago, stories about the Dalai Lama's healing presence would
      have placed him squarely in Ekman's 'Oh, give me a break' camp. Now, Ekman
      desperately wants to know how the Dalai Lama cured him literally overnight of
      the explosive temper that had him in psychoanalysis for years. Ekman recently
      interviewed eight others who experienced similar transformations after meeting
      the Dalai Lama. All had revealing things in common, including emotionally
      traumatic childhoods, Ekman said. In addition, all were facing a major turning
      point in their lives around the time of their meeting. 'In my case, my mother
      took her own life when I was 14,' Ekman said, 'and I was considering
      retirement after monomaniacally pursuing a career in the psychology of emotion.' Last
      May, Ekman crossed paths again with the Dalai Lama at a conference in
      Illinois and popped the question: What is it? Without accepting credit for Ekman's
      case, 'The Dalai Lama smiled and said there are things science can't explain,
      but that doesn't mean it shouldn't try to,' he said. 'The Dalai Lama also
      said, 'Maybe science will figure these things out, which would be very nice.
      Maybe it won't.' '

      _louis.sahagun@..._ (mailto:louis.sahagun@...)

      Copyright © 2006 Los Angeles Times
    • Gotthard K. Danae O'C.
      Message 140 of 140 , Jan 21, 2007
        Dottie,
        The Jesus son of a hure is Jesus ben Pandira, see the cycle about the Matthew Gospel by RS.
        Regards Gotthard in Melbourne AUS

        On 1/18/07, dottie zold <dottie_z@...> wrote:

        I was just wondering which lineage is the one that has
        the line of those called the Prostitute? Was that the
        Solomon line or the Nathan line?

        --
        Selma Lagerlöf (1859-1940), 1909 Nobel Literature Laureate:"[Rudolf Steiner] taught a number of things in which I have long believed, among them that it is no longer possible in our time to offer a religion full of unsubstantiated miracles, but rather that religion must be a science which can be proven. It is no longer a question of belief, but of knowing. Further, we acquire knowledge of the spiritual world through steady, conscious, systematic thinking ... In years to come, his teachings will be proclaimed from the pulpits"

        Rudolf Steiner: Only truth can bring us security in the development of our individual forces.
        Whoever is tortured from doubts, his forces are paralysed.
        In a world, enigmatic to one self, one can find no aim for one's working.
                Motto of 'Philosophy of Spiritual Activity' 1894, Appendix II 1918