Re: Emma Goldman on patriotism

  • Lennart Sundström
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2006
      Another voice on Patrionism

      by Greg Palast

      [Thursday, October 26, 2006]

      Imagine this: You're tied to a stake and savages are about to
      light the logs under your feet.

      So, class, what do you do?

      Cut and run!

      How about this one? Evil-doers have tied you to the railroad
      tracks and the Teheran Express is bearing down on you. If you
      have any brains at all, whatcha gonna do?

      Cut and run!

      President George Bush has been accusing Democrats of having
      a reasonable, coherent Iraq policy: getting out alive. "Cut and
      run" for short.

      Of course, most Democrats have denied having a "clear-cut"
      program on Iraq, preferring, "setting a firm date for phased
      withdrawal." We don't know what that date is, but if it's anything
      later than Thursday, the policy is a fudge. Sorry, but "gnaw and
      wiggle" won't do. Cut and run gets the job done. Gets you the
      heck out of harm's way. When that runaway truck is careening
      down the jogging track, you don't 'Stay the Course.'

      Try it yourself: Cut and run can be fun!

      If pirates tie a boulder to your neck, what should you do, kids?

      Cut and run!

      Or, let's say you've got the wires to Dick Cheney's pacemaker in
      your hand. What should you do? (No, no, no! Be kind.)
      Speaking of cut and run- there's still corporations getting their cut
      in Iraq. Read the guest column by Antonia Juhasz titled "Are U.S.
      Corporations Going to 'Win' the War in Iraq" at
      www.gregpalast.com <

      --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Lennart
      Sundström <gbg2013@...> wrote:

      > SIMULATED DROWNING, SIMULATED TRUTH
      >

      > Imagine that you are strapped to a board, blindfolded, and your
      > mouth taped shut. Suddenly you are upended and your head is
      > plunged below water, or water is poured continuously on a pile
      > of rags across your face. Water is forced up your nose, you
      > choke and gag, you cannot cry out or do anything to stop it.
      >

      > Torture? Heavens no, the U.S. doesn't torture! This is only
      > "simulated drowning," as water-boarding is euphemistically
      > called in the press. The sole merit of Vice President Cheney is
      > that he says out loud what the others are actually thinking and
      > doing. Asked about the administration's use of water-boarding
      in
      > a recent radio interview, Cheney replied, "It's a no-brainer for
      > me."
      >

      > Is this use of torture a major issue in the current elections? Is
      > any major political figure vowing to put an end to this? Do
      people
      > even know about it?
      >

      > This is one more reason why the national emergency
      teach-ins
      > called by World Can't Wait-Drive Out the Bush Regime with the
      > Bush Crimes Commission are so crucially needed.
      >

      > "This is broad, this is sweeping, this is endless, this does not
      > does not limit to a particular narrow geographic location or a
      very
      > small period of time, this we have now to live with for many
      years
      > and perhaps decades to come and it is a shame and a
      scandal
      > that the United States Congress passed this statute." – Bill
      > Goodman on the Military Commissions Act
      >

      > TEACH-IN VIEWINGS GROW ACROSS THE WORLD
      >

      > Here are some comments from people signing up to view the
      > New York teach-in in their area:
      >

      > Lawrence, Dallas
      >
      > "I want to learn and spread the word!"
      >

      > Jason, Baltimore
      >
      > "To help educate others on the severity of this situation."
      >

      > Angelina, Maputo, Mozambique:
      > "Interested in knowing."
      >

      > Theresa, Portland
      >
      > "Need to know what my options are beyond republicans and
      > democrats - with the elections forthcoming, is there something
      > within the electoral framework that I can do to mitigate the
      > criminal nature of our gov't?"
      >

      > If there is not a teach-in scheduled in your area, all you need is
      > computer with broadband (DSL or cable) internet access in
      > order to view the New York teach-in. You can project the
      teach-in
      > in a class room or view it with a group of friends on a computer
      > screen. Go to the World Can't Wait web site for details.
      >

      > LET'S GET THIS ON C-SPAN
      >

      > The whole country needs to see this. So C-Span needs to get
      > the message that YOU want to see it. C-Span invites viewers to
      > submit suggestions of events for them to broadcast. Please
      > write to them today, asking them to broadcast the national
      > emergency teach-in in New York. The address to use is
      > events@...
      >
      > Featured Speakers in New York:
      >
      > Dr. Les Roberts, an author of the study in The Lancet that there
      > are a projected 650,000 civilian deaths caused by the war on
      > Iraq.
      >
      > William Goodman, Legal Director of the Center for
      Constitutional
      > Rights.
      >
      > Larry Everest has covered the Middle East for over ten years
      and
      > is the author of Oil, Power, and Empire.
      >
      > Chris Hedges, spent nearly two decades as a foreign
      > correspondent for the New York Times, winning a Pulitzer Prize
      >
      > Cristina Page, author of How The Pro-choice Movement Saved
      > America describes the assault on both abortion and
      > contraception.
      >
      > This event will be held at: Synod Hall of the Cathedral of St.
      John