Emma Goldman on patriotism

  • Tarjei Straume
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2006
      WHAT is patriotism? Is it love of one's
      birthplace, the place of childhood's
      recollections and hopes, dreams and aspirations?
      Is it the place where, in childlike naivety, we
      would watch the fleeting clouds, and wonder why
      we, too, could not run so swiftly? The place
      where we would count the milliard glittering
      stars, terror-stricken lest each one "an eye
      should be," piercing the very depths of our
      little souls? Is it the place where we would
      listen to the music of the birds, and long to
      have wings to fly, even as they, to distant
      lands? Or the place where we would sit at
      mother's knee, enraptured by wonderful tales of
      great deeds and conquests? In short, is it love
      for the spot, every inch representing dear and
      precious recollections of a happy, joyous, and playful childhood?

      If that were patriotism, few American men of
      today could be called upon to be patriotic, since
      the place of play has been turned into factory,
      mill, and mine, while deafening sounds of
      machinery have replaced the music of the birds.
      Nor can we longer hear the tales of great deeds,
      for the stories our mothers tell today are but
      those of sorrow, tears, and grief.

      What, then, is patriotism? "Patriotism, sir, is
      the last resort of scoundrels," said Dr. Johnson.
      Leo Tolstoy, the greatest anti-patriot of our
      times, defines patriotism as the principle that
      will justify the training of wholesale murderers;
      a trade that requires better equipment for the
      exercise of man-killing than the making of such
      necessities of life as shoes, clothing, and
      houses; a trade that guarantees better returns
      and greater glory than that of the average workingman.

      Gustave Hervé, another great anti-patriot, justly
      calls patriotism a superstition--one far more
      injurious, brutal, and inhumane than religion.
      The superstition of religion originated in man's
      inability to explain natural phenomena. That is,
      when primitive man heard thunder or saw the
      lightning, he could not account for either, and
      therefore concluded that back of them must be a
      force greater than himself. Similarly he saw a
      supernatural force in the rain, and in the
      various other changes in nature. Patriotism, on
      the other hand, is a superstition artificially
      created and maintained through a network of lies
      and falsehoods; a superstition that robs man of
      his self-respect and dignity, and increases his arrogance and conceit.

      Indeed, conceit, arrogance, and egotism are the
      essentials of patriotism. Let me illustrate.
      Patriotism assumes that our globe is divided into
      little spots, each one surrounded by an iron
      gate. Those who have had the fortune of being
      born on some particular spot, consider themselves
      better, nobler, grander, more intelligent than
      the living beings inhabiting any other spot. It
      is, therefore, the duty of everyone living on
      that chosen spot to fight, kill, and die in the
      attempt to impose his superiority upon all the others.

      The inhabitants of the other spots reason in like
      manner, of course, with the result that, from
      early infancy, the mind of the child is poisoned
      with blood-curdling stories about the Germans,
      the French, the Italians, Russians, etc. When the
      child has reached manhood, he is thoroughly
      saturated with the belief that he is chosen by
      the Lord himself to defend his country against
      the attack or invasion of any foreigner. It is
      for that purpose that we are clamoring for a
      greater army and navy, more battleships and
      ammunition. It is for that purpose that America
      has within a short time spent four hundred
      million dollars. Just think of it--four hundred
      million dollars taken from the produce of the
      people. For surely it is not the rich who
      contribute to patriotism. They are cosmopolitans,
      perfectly at home in every land. We in America
      know well the truth of this. Are not our rich
      Americans Frenchmen in France, Germans in
      Germany, or Englishmen in England? And do they
      not squandor with cosmopolitan grace fortunes
      coined by American factory children and cotton
      slaves? Yes, theirs is the patriotism that will
      make it possible to send messages of condolence
      to a despot like the Russian Tsar, when any
      mishap befalls him, as President Roosevelt did in
      the name if his people, when Sergius was punished
      by the Russian revolutionists.

      It is a patriotism that will assist the
      arch-murderer, Diaz, in destroying thousands of
      lives in Mexico, or that will even aid in
      arresting Mexican revolutionists on American soil
      and keep them incarcerated in American prisons,
      without the slightest cause or reason.

      (................................)

      The beginning has already been made in the
      schools. Evidently the government holds to the
      Jesuitical conception, "Give me the child mind,
      and I will mould the man." Children are trained
      in military tactics, the glory of military
      achievements extolled in the curriculum, and the
      youthful minds perverted to suit the government.
      Further, the youth of the country is appealed to
      in glaring posters to join the army and navy. "A
      fine chance to see the world!" cries the
      governmental huckster. Thus innocent boys are
      morally shanghaied into patriotism, and the
      military Moloch strides conquering through the Nation.

      The American workingman has suffered so much at
      the hands of the soldier, State, and Federal,
      that he is quite justified in his disgust with,
      and his opposition to, the uniformed parasite.
      However, mere denunciation will not solve this
      great problem. What we need is a propaganda of
      education for the soldier: anti-patriotic
      literature that will enlighten him as to the real
      horrors of his trade, and that will awaken his
      consciousness to his true relation to the man to
      whose labor he owes his very existence.

      It is precisely this that the authorities fear
      most. It is already high treason for a soldier to
      attend a radical meeting. No doubt they will also
      stamp it high treason for a soldier to read a
      radical pamphlet. But, then, has not authority
      from time immemorial stamped every step of
      progress as treasonable? Those, however, who
      earnestly strive for social reconstruction can
      well afford to face all that; for it is probably
      even more important to carry the truth into the
      barracks than into the factory. When we have
      undermined the patriotic lie, we shall have
      cleared the path for that great structure wherein
      all nationalities shall be united into a
      universal brotherhood,--a truly FREE SOCIETY.

      - Emma Goldman: PATRIOTISM: A MENACE TO LIBERTY -
      http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Goldman/Writings/Anarchism/patriotism.html

      Brought to you by:

      Uncle Taz
      http://uncletaz.com/

      "To force a man to pay for the violation of his
      own liberty is indeed an addition of insult to injury."
      - Benjamin Tucker
    • Lennart Sundström
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2006
        Yes.

      • Lennart Sundström
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2006
          SIMULATED DROWNING, SIMULATED TRUTH

          Imagine that you are strapped to a board, blindfolded, and your
          mouth taped shut. Suddenly you are upended and your head is
          plunged below water, or water is poured continuously on a pile
          of rags across your face. Water is forced up your nose, you
          choke and gag, you cannot cry out or do anything to stop it.

          Torture? Heavens no, the U.S. doesn't torture! This is only
          "simulated drowning," as water-boarding is euphemistically
          called in the press. The sole merit of Vice President Cheney is
          that he says out loud what the others are actually thinking and
          doing. Asked about the administration's use of water-boarding in
          a recent radio interview, Cheney replied, "It's a no-brainer for
          me."

          Is this use of torture a major issue in the current elections? Is
          any major political figure vowing to put an end to this? Do people
          even know about it?

          This is one more reason why the national emergency teach-ins
          called by World Can't Wait-Drive Out the Bush Regime with the
          Bush Crimes Commission are so crucially needed.

          "This is broad, this is sweeping, this is endless, this does not
          does not limit to a particular narrow geographic location or a very
          small period of time, this we have now to live with for many years
          and perhaps decades to come and it is a shame and a scandal
          that the United States Congress passed this statute." – Bill
          Goodman on the Military Commissions Act

          TEACH-IN VIEWINGS GROW ACROSS THE WORLD

          Here are some comments from people signing up to view the
          New York teach-in in their area:

          Lawrence, Dallas

          "I want to learn and spread the word!"

          Jason, Baltimore

          "To help educate others on the severity of this situation."

          Angelina, Maputo, Mozambique:
          "Interested in knowing."

          Theresa, Portland

          "Need to know what my options are beyond republicans and
          democrats - with the elections forthcoming, is there something
          within the electoral framework that I can do to mitigate the
          criminal nature of our gov't?"

          If there is not a teach-in scheduled in your area, all you need is a
          computer with broadband (DSL or cable) internet access in
          order to view the New York teach-in. You can project the teach-in
          in a class room or view it with a group of friends on a computer
          screen. Go to the World Can't Wait web site for details.

          LET'S GET THIS ON C-SPAN

          The whole country needs to see this. So C-Span needs to get
          the message that YOU want to see it. C-Span invites viewers to
          submit suggestions of events for them to broadcast. Please
          write to them today, asking them to broadcast the national
          emergency teach-in in New York. The address to use is
          events@...

          Featured Speakers in New York:

          Dr. Les Roberts, an author of the study in The Lancet that there
          are a projected 650,000 civilian deaths caused by the war on
          Iraq.

          William Goodman, Legal Director of the Center for Constitutional
          Rights.

          Larry Everest has covered the Middle East for over ten years and
          is the author of Oil, Power, and Empire.

          Chris Hedges, spent nearly two decades as a foreign
          correspondent for the New York Times, winning a Pulitzer Prize

          Cristina Page, author of How The Pro-choice Movement Saved
          America describes the assault on both abortion and
          contraception.

          This event will be held at: Synod Hall of the Cathedral of St. John
          the Divine
          110th St & Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY

          7:00 pm, Monday, October 30 (doors open at 6:30). Suggested
          donation $10-$20

          Delayed national broadcast on the Internet the same evening.
          See World Can't Wait for details on viewing.

          Please contribute AND set up a viewing where you are Monday.
          --- In anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com, Lennart
          Sundström <gbg2013@...> wrote:

          > Yes.

        • Lennart Sundström
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 28, 2006
            Another voice on Patrionism

            by Greg Palast

            [Thursday, October 26, 2006]

            Imagine this: You're tied to a stake and savages are about to
            light the logs under your feet.

            So, class, what do you do?

            Cut and run!

            How about this one? Evil-doers have tied you to the railroad
            tracks and the Teheran Express is bearing down on you. If you
            have any brains at all, whatcha gonna do?

            Cut and run!

            President George Bush has been accusing Democrats of having
            a reasonable, coherent Iraq policy: getting out alive. "Cut and
            run" for short.

            Of course, most Democrats have denied having a "clear-cut"
            program on Iraq, preferring, "setting a firm date for phased
            withdrawal." We don't know what that date is, but if it's anything
            later than Thursday, the policy is a fudge. Sorry, but "gnaw and
            wiggle" won't do. Cut and run gets the job done. Gets you the
            heck out of harm's way. When that runaway truck is careening
            down the jogging track, you don't 'Stay the Course.'

            Try it yourself: Cut and run can be fun!

            If pirates tie a boulder to your neck, what should you do, kids?

            Cut and run!

            Or, let's say you've got the wires to Dick Cheney's pacemaker in
            your hand. What should you do? (No, no, no! Be kind.)
            Speaking of cut and run- there's still corporations getting their cut
            in Iraq. Read the guest column by Antonia Juhasz titled "Are U.S.
            Corporations Going to 'Win' the War in Iraq" at
            www.gregpalast.com <