Euro-English

  • tmasthenes13
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
      If this language program is phased in, then we won't have to worry
      about translating Steiner anymore.

      Tom

      The European Commission has just announced an
      agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European
      Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.
      As part of the negotiations, the British Government
      conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has
      accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as
      "Euro-English."

      In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c."
      Sertainly, this will make
      the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be
      dropped in favour of "k." This should klear up
      konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.
      There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond
      year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f." This will
      make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

      In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling
      kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are
      possible.
      Governments will enkourage the removal of double
      leters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil
      agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is
      disgrasful and it should go away.

      By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as
      replasing "th" with z" and "w" with "v." During ze fifz yer, ze
      unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz
      yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or
      difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a
      united urop
      vil finali kum tru.

      Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German
      like zey vunted in ze forst plas.
      If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl.
    • Tarjei Straume
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
        George Bernard Shaw tried something like this, initiated by some
        minor spelling modifications that he practiced when writing his
        plays, which are still published with Shaw's special spelling in his
        honor. Major modifications like the ones played around with here are
        less likely to replace present-day written English, but the language
        may disintegrate over time into "the English languages", and maybe
        Euro-English may become one of them - for politicians and diplomats only.

        In fact, this was discussed in depth among scholars a couple of
        decades ago, during the 1980s, when it was recognized that because
        the English language has become a global resource, it does not owe
        its existence or the protection of its essence to any one nation or
        group. Robert W. Burchfield talked about "its innumerable clearly
        distinguishable varieties" (A Supplement to the Oxford English
        Dictionary, vol. 4, 1986, Introduction).

        This is referred to in "The Oxford Companion to the English Language"
        (Oxford University Press 1992) as such:

        " Scholars discussed both usage (local, regional, and international)
        and varieties (standard and non-standard), while in a broader public
        debate many people wondered whether the language was in decline and
        might even break up into various mutually unintelligible forms: in
        effect, into 'the English languages'. "

        Tarjei

        Tom wrote:

        >If this language program is phased in, then we won't have to worry
        >about translating Steiner anymore.
      • Joel Wendt
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
          What does such a trend portend in the light of Steiner's comment in The
          Challenge of the Times, that English speakers are instinctively in the
          Consciousness Soul in the Life of Rights?

          joel

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
            Joel, you wrote:

            >What does such a trend portend in the light of Steiner's comment in
            >The Challenge of the Times, that English speakers are instinctively
            >in the Consciousness Soul in the Life of Rights?

            Elementary, my dear Joel. Elementary.

            It means that English speakers are destined to spread democracy,
            freedom, moral leadership, the ballot box, Jesus rallies, the art of
            rhetoric and propaganda and all those other goodies including the
            Consciousness Soul, and for this to be possible, everyone has to
            understand the English language, the language of the peoples with
            golden tongues. And when some people around the globe get more
            Consciousness Soul than others this way, their handling of English
            will differ accordingly, and that's how you get "the English languages".

            The best way to start is to learn from Bush. He speaks primitive
            Basic English suitable for the Bush people, the peoples of the
            bushes, the backwoods stragglers, referred to by Steiner as
            "Hottentots". This Hottentot English, Bush English, Basic Baby
            English, consisting of simple words of few syllables intermingled
            with unintelligible growls, is very easy to learn. A little drilling
            is required, though; you must learn to say "trrrrr-issssts". And this
            Life of Rights is also very easy to understand; everything starts
            with the right to bear arms, and to fire them. It's also the right to
            choose how to die - by lethal injection, firing squad, electric
            chair, or military interrogation. And those who don't appreciate
            these freedoms, are "evildoers" - one of the first words to be
            learned in Bush English.

            Cheers,

            Tarjei
          • Mike helsher
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2006
              <straume@...> wrote:

              > Joel, you wrote:
              >
              > >What does such a trend portend in the light of Steiner's comment
              in
              > >The Challenge of the Times, that English speakers are
              instinctively
              > >in the Consciousness Soul in the Life of Rights?
              >
              > Elementary, my dear Joel. Elementary.
              >
              > It means that English speakers are destined to spread democracy,
              > freedom, moral leadership, the ballot box, Jesus rallies, the art
              of
              > rhetoric and propaganda and all those other goodies including the
              > Consciousness Soul, and for this to be possible, everyone has to
              > understand the English language, the language of the peoples with
              > golden tongues. And when some people around the globe get more
              > Consciousness Soul than others this way, their handling of English
              > will differ accordingly, and that's how you get "the English
              languages".

              > The best way to start is to learn from Bush. He speaks primitive
              > Basic English suitable for the Bush people, the peoples of the
              > bushes, the backwoods stragglers, referred to by Steiner as
              > "Hottentots". This Hottentot English, Bush English, Basic Baby
              > English, consisting of simple words of few syllables intermingled
              > with unintelligible growls, is very easy to learn. A little
              drilling
              > is required, though; you must learn to say "trrrrr-issssts".

              ROFLMAO!

              I imagine a bush speach as follows:

              Freedom!.... terrrrer!

              freedom.... terrrer!

              terrrer.... Freedom!

              Freedom teeerrrrer Freedom!

              teerrer Frrredom teerrrer reeedom Freedom!

              Americams! terror, Freedom!

              Profits! ahhhh ....for all Americans!

              and more Freedom!

              Mike