Calendar of the soul 25, anthro on the net

  • TomBuoyed@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006

      Anthroposophy on the Net - Calendar of the Soul

      Rudolf Steiner's
      Calendar of the Soul

      [October 01, 2006 - October 07, 2006]

      Twenty-fifth Week
      (Originally September 22-28)

      Now I may to myself belong,
      And shining shed my inner light
      Into the dark of space and time.

      All nature draws to sleep;
      Soul depths shall waken
      And, waking, bear this glowing sun
      Into the cold of wintertide.

      * translation by John Thomson.

      __________________________

      My True Self is now my own
      its shining spreads an inner light
      into the dark periphery of space and time.

      Nature lulls her beings to sleep
      But in its depths the soul awakes,
      and waking carries Sun warm shimmering
      into winters chill glimmering

      * translation by Dennis Klocek.

      ___________________

      I may now belong to myself.

      I am luminous---
      I spread my inner light
      over the darknesses of space and time---
      While all of Nature falls asleep.

      But the depths of my soul shall awaken---
      And, in awakening, shall carry
      the sun's fire glowing
      into the cold winter's surging.

      * translation by Tom Mellett.

      ___________________

        I can belong now to myself
        And shining spread my inner light
        Into the dark of space and time.
        Toward sleep is urging all creation,
        But inmost soul must stay awake
        And carry wakefully sun's glowing
        Into the winter's icy flowing.
      * translation by Ruth and Hans Pusch

        Ich darf nun mir gehören
        Und leuchtend breiten Innenlicht
        In Raumes- und in Zeitenfinsternis.
        Zum Schlafe drängt natürlich Wesen,
        Der Seele Tiefen sollen wachen
        Und wachend tragen Sonnengluten
        In kalte Winterfluten.
      * original German by Rudolf Steiner.

        Now may I call myself my own,
        irradiating Time's and Space's night
        with inborn Light;
        all nature heavy grows with sleep,
        the soul is called to stay awake
        and, waking, fire with suffusing Sun
        chill winter's inundation.
      The Year Participated translation
      by Owen Barfield

      ______________________________

      About the Calendar of the Soul - by Rudolf Steiner

      The year has a life of its own, and the human soul can share in that life and become part of it. In listening week by week to the changing language of the year, the soul will find a way to discover also its own nature; it will realize how forces are stirring within its being and giving it new life and strength. Such forces are awakened if one develops a profound sympathy with the course of the year and all the meaning it brings to the changing world. Only through such sympathy can the soul become aware of the fine but significant threads that bind it to the world into which it is born.

      In this Calendar the verse given for each week is intended to help the soul into an experience of that week as part of the life of the whole year. The Calendar is designed to express all that echoes in the soul when it unites itself with that life. It aims at creating a healthy feeling of at-one-ness with the goings–on of nature, and consequently a strong self-discovery, in the belief that to share in the yearly movement of the world, in the manner exemplified in these verses, is something for which the human soul has a deep longing, if only it understands its own nature.

      * PREFACE TO THE SECOND EDITION (1918).

      History of the Calendar of the Soul Verses

      The first limited edition of The Calendar of the Soul Verses was published in March 1912 as part of a calendar, never to be reissued. Imma von Eckhardstein illustrated the calendar, following Steiner’s indications, mainly of the twelve zodiacal images. In 1918, the verses of the Calendar of the Soul were distributed along with a short introduction  by Rudolf Steiner, was packaged together with Waldorf Astoria cigarettes to reach German soldiers struggling at the end of World War I. This was part of a project, initialized by Emil Molt, the owner of the Waldorf Astoria Cigaretten Gesellschaft, which also evolved into a publication of the verses as an insert in a few Herman Hesse editions reaching German prisoners of war.

      "You will find meditative verses for the individual weeks of the year. You should take these meditations quite particularly into your hearts, for they contain what can make the soul alive and what really corresponds
      to a living relationship of the soul forces to the forces of the macrocosm." - Rudolf Steiner

      About the 'flowing nature' of the German version of the Calendar of the Soul

      - by John Riedel

      The verses in Steiner's Calendar of the Soul have a system of organization in German in which the words and lines flow smoothly.  Breaks in this seem to be for emphasis.  Just as the words must be translated into English words, the system must be translated into an English system of equal grace and flow.  I have rhymed somewhat more than is found in the original German, but it is part and parcel of the system that I have used to translate the full sense of the German, and should not be considered an arbitrary add-on. Many earlier translations have relied heavily on the word cosmic for the German Welten, but  for an English-speaking scientist  cosmic means high powered rays coming from the stars.  Welten usually refers to a definite planetary body or sphere, or the spiritual being therein, but  might refer to everything outside of a man up to and including the stars and universe, a seeming reprise of the Ptolemaic system. Steiner's calendar clearly begins in the Spring.  Easter, St.John's, Michaelmus, and Christmas may have somewhat different names and exact dates of celebration in different traditions, but it is clear that these four main festivals occur around the times of the equinoxes and solstices.

      Now I may hold my inner reins
      And radiant spread my inner light
      Into the gloom of space and time.
      As nature settles down to sleep,
      I shall awake in depths of soul
      And waking bear a sunny glow
      Into the cold and wintery flow.

      (this weeks verse)

                                              St.John's ---------->  12-13
                                                                                 9     15
                                                                               6       19
                                                                                 3    25 <------(this week's verse)
                                                   Easter------------> 1-26 <------ Michaelmas
                                                                               27 - 52
                                         (polar verse) -------> 28     49
                                                                             33       45
                                                                              35     40
                                             Christmas----------> 38-39

      * provided by translator Tom Mellett: go to www.antroposofi.org

      * the Calendar of the Soul is a series of  52  verses, one for each week of the year.

      * The original week of this verse was  September 22-28    , which due to shifts forward in calendar dates, coincides with today's dates.

      CONTRIBUTORS

      Please express your appreciations to the parties below:

      ANTHROPOSOPHY ON THE NET

      Responses: We welcome responses to this notice of any type; compliments and those that point to ways to improve. All responses are copied forward and sent to our staff and onto the parties in this notice. All will read your words. Thank you!

      Anthroposophy on the Net: We are an independent Anthroposophical news/information organization with a mission to assist anthroposophists and other interested parties learn about anthroposophy and anthroposophical endeavors.
      Join us: If you would like to join our email list and receive announcements, advertise an event, or be deleted from our email list, please send us an email at anthroposophy on the net or write to us at 7618 Southcliff Drive, Fair Oaks, CA. 95628. (916) 962-0755 / the Editor / Randolph McCready. Forwarding this email? If you wish to forward this email to a friend or friends, then click on the forward icon, place the cursor in the upper left corner of the page, press delete, which will erase the identity information so that the word "anthroposophy" in yellow is in the upper left of the screen. Now you are ready to send. You can also refer people and addresses to me to put on our list and I will contact them with a query.